Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The (Would-be) King and I

wjujCZT.png
"It could." She hummed in thought. "Jedi who've reached Masterhood are skilled enough to rein it in. But there are others who want you to feel the full brunt of their power."

An uncouth tqctic, she'd always thought. And not particularly in the purview of the Jedi - the Sith and assorted neutral Force users were a different story, however.

"Raw power doesn't always translate to ability, naturally."

Cora tilted her head, a faint gesture of understanding to Carlo's response. The Force often only governed the lives of those who've dedicated themselves to it. For most people - Force sensitive or not - it wasn't as much of a priority as working to provide for your family

Or ruling a planet, perhaps.

"I am a Jedi of the New Jedi Order. While Jedi doctrines have changed over millenia, the one constant is that we work within the Light side of the Force." The tea cup raised to her lips for the final sip.

Cora sighed, contentedly.

"When Ukatis was first in talks with the Alliance, my father sent me to the New Jedi Order to…learn." She'd been more of a goodwill token, a pawn, but Cora chose to look at that particular piece of her past through a rosy lens.

"Is there anything that you're particularly interested in learning about the Force, Carlo?"

Carlo Von Corrino Carlo Von Corrino
Dc6pDtW.png

"To me, those people flaunting power seem to be overcompensating for something they're lacking," Carlo mused, a slight chuckle in his tone. He then turned his full attention back to her words.

He paused for a moment before speaking again. "Isn't being limited to one side of the Force restricting the tools available to someone?" This question could be seen as skirting the edges of dark side thinking, but it was a genuine curiosity of his whenever the Force was mentioned.

Raising an eyebrow slightly, though it was hidden behind his glasses, he continued, "Apologies if this is out of line, mon ami, but it sounds more like he sent you to the Order as an insurance policy."

Carlo considered what he would want to know or learn about the Force, lightly drumming his fingers against the table before speaking. "Mainly, I'd like to learn how to fully control my connection to the Force."

Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania

wjujCZT.png
Cora murmured, a light, amused sound of agreement to Carlo's observation.

He was a curious young man, and if she had to guess, probably wasn't much younger than herself. Cora set aside his questions regarding the Force for a moment, choosing to first address the mention of her father.

"I suppose the timing would indicate that." She conceded with an airy chuckle. "Alas, my station at the time was not particularly important, though I would've liked to have thought differently." Cora had been unrepentantly snobbish when she'd first come to the New Jedi Order, believing herself to be far above others. That had impressed exactly no one, and had caused quite a few of her fellow Padawans to regard her coldly before she'd learned to change her tune.

"Regarding the Force, though – there are techniques that are exclusive to both the Light and the Dark side, respectively. Those who use the Dark are fueled by their anger, fear, and selfishness. Practitioners of the Light rely on honesty, compassion, and selflessness. There are quite a few abilities that overlap between the two – telekinesis, for one."

Cora glanced down to the teacup where it sat against it's saucer. Both bone white, with light blue detailing she found quite pretty.

"Though, I speak solely from the Jedi perspective. A Sith – who wield the Dark side of the Force – would likely tell you something different."

She hummed softly.

"You keep using that phrase - mon ami. What does it mean?"

Dc6pDtW.png

Having braced himself for some sort of backlash due to his comment about the other's father, Carlo was relieved when none came, allowing him to relax slightly. "The origins of one's birth do have interesting effects on thought processes and personality," he spoke softly, tracing a circle on the table's surface with his metallic hand.

"Hm, so the building blocks of a person's personality could affect which side of the Force they are drawn toward. That must be hell for those who are nothing more than a storm of emotions, unsure how these feelings work." He stopped his tracing, not wanting to scratch the surface, and continued speaking.

"From the sounds of it, a Sith would either try to tempt me to the dark side of the Force or simply kill me. I assure you, death sounds like such a bland experience," he chuckled, knowing it might come across as slightly weird, before blinking and adding, "Oh, the phrase 'mon ami' roughly translates to 'my friend.' It's an old dialect that my house has made sure all members are familiar with."

wjujCZT.png
Cora nodded to Carlo's observation. Absently, she wondered what trials the young Prince had personally faced - nobles often lead charmed lives free of the common plights, but that did to mean that that everything was simple for them.

"Some people are born with the expectation that they will follow either the Light or the Dark, and as a result have been influenced by it from birth. It can be hard to escape something like that."

She glanced to Carlo's mechanical arm, then back to his face.

"I suppose some people do have certain emotions that would lend themselves well to the Dark. Fear and anger among them - a Sith may seek to prey on these in order to corrupt a person."

Cora’s gaze wavered in thought, recalling the fragile state she'd been it when she'd first met Darth Nwul, and how he'd made her feel loved in her bleak, violent marriage. It had been artificial, at least at first, but he'd managed to play her pain and insecurities like an instrument.

She smiled, letting those thoughts break up like clouds. It was getting easier to view the situation for what it had been, the more distance she put between then and now.

"You'd rather be tempted to the side of greed and corruption than dead?"

That thought had her arching an amused brow. "I've never considered it an either-or situation."

Her lips quirked, pleased.

"Ah, that makes sense. So many native tongues have been superseded by Basic. The nobility here are still taught High Ukatish - it's nice that you're keeping the dialect of your people alive."

Dc6pDtW.png

Mulling over the idea that one's birth could predetermine their alignment with the dark or light side of the Force didn't sit well with Carlo. After a few moments of contemplation, he spoke, "It seems like a weak excuse for someone's actions, and the concept of a predefined path at birth is truly dull."

For someone who valued his freedom and zest for life, the notion felt as grating as a high-pitched noise. Noticing her glance at his metallic arm, a soft smile touched his lips. "If you're curious about how I lost the arm, don't hesitate to ask," he offered. It was once a sore subject, but over the years, he had grown accustomed to recounting the event.

A cheerful laugh escaped him as his left hand swept through his coal-colored locks. "It's already a sin to be this good, what's a little corruption to spice things up?" he said with a wink. "Though I do joke. The dark side sounds like it's just full of edgy try-hards, not really my scene, mon ami."

He let out a contented sigh. "Such is the duty of all born into the Corrino bloodline, along with ensuring the pilot academy is funded and thriving," he said, resting his head against his palm. "I must say, this is an interesting planet," he added thoughtfully.

wjujCZT.png
Cora supposed that, yes, the concept of a pre-determined path would seem quite unappealing to someone like Carlo Von Corrino Carlo Von Corrino who was seeking more than what awaited him at home. For Cora, duty to her family had been what defined her life until recently.

"Oh," she said softly, pale cheeks flushing a faint pink when he called attention to her glance at his arm.

"I suppose it can appear that way."
She frowned in thought at his description of the Sith. "I believe that many of them are suffering, though I'm sure they'd certainly tell me otherwise. It's not a crime to have darker thoughts or feeling, but it becomes an issue when they harm someone else. I would not underestimate the raw ability of Dark practitioners.”

Still, she was hardly an expert on the creed of the Sith. The only perspective she could offer was one-sided.

"Then, if you don't mind - might I ask what happened to your arm? And what about Ukatis do you find…interesting?"
Dc6pDtW.png

"The power of a dark side user doesn’t bother me. What unsettles me is that there’s no clear sign or indication when you’re in the presence of someone who trains in the dark side of the Force."

He paused, humming softly before continuing, "Suffering? I suppose dark side users could be seen as individuals suffering from an illness—whether it’s corruption or delusions of grandeur." Carlo chuckled to lighten the mood. "I'm sure if I looked far enough into my family tree, either on my father’s or mother’s side, I’d probably find a couple of dark side users."

Carlo shifted in his seat, sitting upright, his gaze falling on the metal of his right arm. "When I was seven, I accompanied my father to a diplomatic meeting with a potential business partner who was holding an exhibition for their technology."

Using his other hand to trace the metallic engravings, his smile faded. "Being the adventurous little brat I was, I wandered off from the guards assigned to me. I came across one of the machines on display and, well, I couldn’t resist playing around with it. The machine malfunctioned, and all I remember after that is immense pain and waking up in the hospital."

After taking a moment to collect himself, his smile returned. "The people here all have an air of freedom and genuine happiness."

wjujCZT.png
"It should." She insisted quietly. "But, yes. Skilled practitioners can conceal their Force alignment. I've met quite a few Sith who look and act like anyone else – so your concern is not misplaced."

Perhaps suffering was too kind of a word. Nearly all Sith she had met had an incredible sense of self confidence, bordering on delusional. It had only been a short while ago where Cora herself, fragile after her violent marriage came to an abrupt end, had considered remaining on Thule as the kept woman of a Sith Lord.

It would've meant betraying nearly everyone in her life who'd ever done right by her, and returning to the Jedi had been a turning point. Cora had plenty of regrets, but was confident that she'd made the right decision in that, at least.

Her attention shifted wholly to Carlo Von Corrino Carlo Von Corrino as he told her how he'd lost his arm, and her expression creased in sympathy. "I'm sorry," she said, "that must have been traumatic."

Her eyes traced the metallic etchings, following the path of his finger. Silence stretched between the pair for a few long moments, and when Carlo spoke again, his smile had returned.

"...You think so?"

A heavy sigh had her shoulders sagging. "The Mandalorian Enclave attacked us nearly half a year ago and sacked the capital. The galaxy was generous with its aid, but Ukatis lacks the...infrastructure of many modern worlds. This has been the first festival we've managed since then, so I'm glad they've something to smile about."

Dc6pDtW.png

Carlo stopped tracing the etchings as his fingers reached the coat of arms of House Corrino, a hybrid feline-like creature. "The trauma left me mute for a couple of years. To this day, I can't look at machines without feeling the ghost pain of my missing arm," he said softly.

His attention returned to the person across the table, absorbing everything she had said. It hadn't occurred to him that such an event had happened, though he hadn't ventured far during his daytime travels, staying mostly around the festival.

"The aftermath of a war or invasion can weigh heavily on citizens. So, smiles are a sign that things are getting back on the right track, correct?" He asked, though it seemed more of a confirmation given her earlier remarks.

Carlo tilted his head slightly before speaking again. "In terms of infrastructure, what is missing?" He was intrigued by the slight pause before she mentioned it, and he wanted to understand more.

wjujCZT.png
Cora nodded faintly along with Carlo Von Corrino Carlo Von Corrino , keeping quiet for a few moments. Sometimes, silences didn't need to be filled.

"I can only imagine how that must've been for you growing up." Her voice was soft. "Trauma is a difficult beast. It affects us in ways we could never have imagined."

Carlo seemed interested in Ukatis – and for some reason, a pit of dread welled in her stomach. Her home wasn't remarkable by any means, but it had earned reputation among the Alliance as a patriarchal society full of backwater peasants and snobby, detached nobles who stepped on their backs.

Which wasn't very far from the truth, really.

"What isn't missing?"

Cora hummed, wishing she could've taken back what she'd just said. "The capital is one of two cities on Ukatis that are approaching modern standards. The vast majority of our planet is farmland; I myself came from a rural province." Her hands were still wrapped around the teacup, and she tinked her fingernails against the porcelain surface.

"Medical care, access to food and information – these things are transient and hardly in steady supply across all of Ukatis. The Alliance has helped us begin to modernize, but we've a long road ahead. I'd like to-"

Cora paused, clearing her throat. "I think it would be good for Ukatis to begin to integrate with the galaxy. Just, in a way where we will not lose our identity entirely."
Dc6pDtW.png

"Without that trauma, I wouldn't be the person I am today. It's strange when you think about it, isn't it?" Carlo mused to himself, before turning his full attention back to his companion as they discussed what was missing.

His focus shifted slightly, zeroing in on some small detail of the table as he calculated, "I assume modernisation would be hindered if medical care and food supplies dwindled." He looked out into the distance, deep in thought. "It seems the Mandalorians didn't help the situation either... It's admirable to want to preserve the identity of your homeworld."

Carlo shook his head slightly, snapping himself out of his spiral of thoughts, and refocused on his companion. "From what it sounds like, once modernisation is stable, Ukatis will find its footing again."

He offered a soft smile. "I'd be happy to send some industrial equipment and supplies from Cardia, to ensure those smiles are never lost."

wjujCZT.png
Cora's smile tightened a hair when Carlo Von Corrino Carlo Von Corrino mentioned that the trauma made him who he was - she supposed it to be true, but it was a harsh reminder of how her own experiences had shaped her person.

It was heartening to see him embrace that type of reasoning, at least. Everyone dealt with trauma in their own way.

Then came the offer of aid from Cardia, which pulled a genuine smile from the Princess.

"That's incredibly generous of you. Tell me, what is Cardia like?"

For all of its folksy charm, Ukatis was caught between needing outside help to survive, and wanting to be independent. They had their pride, of course, but the aftermath of the invasion exposed just how poorly prepared they were to care for their own.
Dc6pDtW.png

Noticing the slight shift in the other's demeanor, Carlo wondered if something he had said had touched a nerve. He had learned from past experiences not to press into matters that didn't concern him.

However, his concerns eased when he saw another change in her after he offered assistance from Cardia. This alleviated the tense feeling he had before, allowing him to answer her question about his homeworld more comfortably.

"Ah, Cardia," he began. "After years of industrial progress, a good chunk of the planet is just barren mountains, though a few of our cities are situated in more picturesque environments."

Carlo paused, a slight frown crossing his face as he recalled the planet's history—truly some dark times. After a moment, he continued, "Besides the credits generated by the noble families on Cardia, we mainly specialize in exporting military equipment and pilot training through the academy. It's interesting how some of the noble families are tied to certain exports. The Corrino family and my mother's family, the La Valettes, handle the military sector."

Catching himself before he turned the conversation into a history lesson, Carlo finished with a smile, "But the best part of Cardia is the snow-covered cities."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom