OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: Modifications to the Darr Itah that the Coalition captured a while back.
- Image Source: JBJHJM at DeviantArt
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: Darr Itah, by Cyrus Tregessar. Some elements copied verbatim and italicized.
- Manufacturer: The One Sith, heavily modified by the Wretched Hive and the Outer Rim Coalition
- Model: Darr Itah-class Grand Battlecruiser
- Affiliation: Outer Rim Coalition
- Production: Unique
- Material: Quadanium/durasteel hull, turadium internal structure at vital areas, matrix-trimantium Armor, AR-03 Damage Component, duraplast (to reinforce key systems from ion attacks), agrinum, dallorian alloy. transparisteel and glasteel where appropriate.
- Classification: Heavy Battlecruiser
- Length: 3000m
- Width: 1000m
- Height: 500m
- Armament: Very High
- Defenses: Very High
- Redundant compartmentalized ray shielding
- Redundant compartmentalized particle shielding
- Reinforced armour
- Cap drains
- Hangar: Low (5 squadrons)
- 1 squadron interceptors
- 1 squadron scout fighters
- 2 squadrons space superiority fighters
- 1 squadron bombers or gunships
- Maneuverability Rating: Low
- Speed Rating: Very Low
- Hyperdrive Class: 0.5, backup 10 (Silkworm Hypertransit Package)
- Slightly faster hyperdrive than stock (0.5 versus 0.6), with vastly improved hypernavigation systems.
- Hits harder than stock version at normal combat ranges.
- Much more durable than stock version.
- Bastion AFMDS provides unmatched defensive fire coordination. Combines the capabilities of standard Battle Analysis Computer, ANQ 3.6 Tracking Computer, Multi-Freq TAT, Target-Aggressor Attack Resolution Software, Combat Multi-view Display, A-HUDT, and more.
- Better endurance than stock version due to reliance on energy weapons.
- Lacks the stock version's Hyperwave Inertial Momentum Sustainer.
- Downgraded primary weapons range (Extreme -> Long or Standard).
- Barrel consolidation means that knocking out a major turret will reduce overall firepower significantly.
- Less maneuverable than stock, and just about as slow.
- Limited rear firepower.
The Verdict began life as the One Sith command ship Ophidia. When her Sith commanders used her to bombard the civilians of Metellos, the rogue Dark Master Selka Ventus, a Metellos native, massacred its crew. The Outer Rim Coalition pursued Ventus and the Ophidia through the Adeline Cluster, deep in Wild Space. Eventually, they succeeded in boarding the vessel and ending Ventus' rampage. After the Dark Master committed suicide, the Coalition repaired and retrofitted the battlecruiser with the resources on hand. Jorus Merrill and the other outlaw techs from the Wretched Hive took point on figuring out what to do with the dang thing.
Frankly, there aren't many ways to improve on the Darr Itah, at least within its intended mission profile: the delivery of excessive long-range damage. Comprehensive scans and inspections only confirmed that. Even so, analysis suggested some potential improvements. A Darr Itah was designed to operate with fleet support; an ORC battlecruiser needed to take a more balanced and independent approach.
- Jorus stripped out the Baelor hyperdrive unit and replaced it with a Silkworm package of his own invention. Both modules were noted for their heavy power requirements, so the support infrastructure required few adjustments. He crammed in some additional agrinium shielding and dedicated cap drains, taking advantage of the Darr Itah's agrinium and duraplast strategy to insulate the Silkworm from ion fire. Space constraints, however, required him to cut out the HIMS module.
- His next set of modifications revolved around the Darr Itah's particle shield and mass driver combination, the ship's one true weakness. Firing the main guns required dropping the redundant, compartmentalized particle shielding temporarily. Though Jorus was loathe to despecialize the Darr Itah and shift it towards the generic, he went ahead with the modifications anyway. He ripped out the mechanisms that dropped the particle shielding automatically, leaving the ship with consistent protection. The hypervelocity guns, as well as many of the turbolaser emplacements.got replaced with reactor-fed SORCE turbolasers. SORCE is a high-powered and versatile technology, but one that couldn't match the hypervelocity mass drivers for effective range.
- Shifting the Verdict away from a true battlecruiser role, Jorus reinforced the armor at all points, which eliminated the stock ship's maneuverability advantage. The shield generators also received a boost from Uukaablian Kathol technology.