OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To adapt a canon entity into a component army for the ORC, as well as overhaul Sullust's lore.
- Image Credit: Laurie Greasley, SoroSuub Logo (with custom color edits)
- Links: Canon Article
- Army Name: Sullustan Home Guard
- Classification: Sector Defence Force
- Affiliation: Sullustan Council (Outer Rim Coalition)
- Army Symbol:
- Description: The Sullustan Home Guard is a multi-system defence force whose sole purpose is to patrol and safeguard the Brema Sector from military threat. Drawn from lots among registered SoroSuub personnel as well as volunteers, a significant portion of the Sullust system's population is a technically a part of the Home Guard, however most citizens are rotated through infrequent tours of duty. Despite a history of non-aggression, Sullust and its surrounding neighbors have experienced multiple Imperial occupations and as a result the Home Guard are highly skilled in both siege and guerilla tactics.
- Headquarters: Pinyumb
- Goals: Although the Home Guard has been co-opted to serve SoroSuub's interests or those of various Empires in the past, their original mandate has remained largely the same. To protect Sullust, and to watch over the Corporation's assets abroad. After the fall of the Galactic Alliance the Home Guard has expanded its purview to that of the Brema Sector, and accepts volunteers from neighboring systems towards their greater purpose.
- Reputation: While the current Home Guard is far more isolationist, there are those who will never see Sullustan troopers as anything other than a remnant of the old GADF. Many of Sullust's neighbors respect and appreciate their role as humanitarian peacekeepers, but worlds with strong pro-Imperial sentiment think of them as meddling interlopers. After several years under First Order rule the Home Guard has grown even more radically anti-authoritarian, although a few vestiges of the Supreme Leader's sympathizers stubbornly remain.
- Army Size: Medium
- Composition: The core of the Sullustan military is the fighting Guardsman. Its equivalent would be a private or ship's crewman, but otherwise the modern Guard hierarchy is similar to the Galactic Alliance which in turn was largely based on the original Rebel Alliance's command structure. Since their martial traditions are grounded in the tunnel warfare of their ancient homeworld, any unit larger than a single regiment is deemed too unwieldy to be used in battle. Sullustan troopers tend to wear a local variant of the Coalition's field kit and wield standard issue GLX Firelance rifles. Veteran squads in battered old shock trooper armor are uncommon these days but not unheard of.
While the Home Guard does maintain a small motor pool of mechanized armor for offworld operations including Ronin repulsortanks and even a few Tactical Enforcers, Sullust's largely subterranean infrastructure rendered the design of early tanks and walkers impractical so Sullustan crews are often inexperienced. Instead they have developed over the centuries a unique special forces division known as the Dragon Guard, power suit equipped super commandos that function as a mix of elite shock troops and artillery support.
The Home Guard Fleet has a distinct chain of command but overall as a combined defence force its army and navy are far more homogeneous than most worlds.
Council President Miel Tevv (Head of State)
General Coren Starchaser
The Sullustan Home Guard is a millennia old tradition and one of few scattered regional authorities throughout the southern Outer Rim Territories. Unlike many other planetary forces, the Home Guard was originally one of a series of large scale private military companies vying for a controlling stake in the system defence industry. Eventually after partnering with the supermassive SoroSuub Corporation the Guard finally established a monopoly over Sullust's sovereign security needs. By the era of the Republic, they were an incorporated member of the Commerce Guild Punitive Security Forces and fought for the Separatists during the Clone Wars.
After the Confederacy's defeat and the rise of a New Order, the Home Guard experienced radical transformations until eventually it became a fully nationalized, authoritarian arm of the Imperial planetary governor. For years it was a brutal tool of Palpatine's oppression until an uprising led by Nien Nunb overthrew Sullust's Imperial government and the Home Guard found itself fighting for the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Following the Empire's ultimate defeat and a series of democratic reforms which restored power to the Sullustan Council, the Guard became something like a true system defence force.
With much of Sullust's Gulag era history lost to the years of darkness, it is unclear how exactly their military evolved into its modern form, but by the 840s ABY the Home Guard operated very similarly to SoroSuub. In theory the Guard remains a private, independent organization but in practice both are heavily nationalized entities that abide by the decisions of the world's democratic Council. A staunch ally of the century's early Republic, after the One Sith's rise to power Sullust served as a rallying point for remnant fleets to regroup and strike back. Eventually once agreements were secured with the Omega Protectorate worlds a Galactic Alliance was formed with Sullust as its new capital.
The following decade was a prosperous time for the Sullustan people, and by extension the Home Guard. For a time considered to be one of the most well defended fortress worlds in the known galaxy, the Guard coordinated with the GADF to maintain system patrols but otherwise began to function as more of a reserve force. They could not have foreseen the renewed aggression that brutal war with the First Order and growing instability within the Alliance itself would cause. By the time of Coruscant's sacking Sullust was woefully unprepared for a surprise raid by united Mandalorian clans in reprisal for the Alliance's operations on Myrkr.
SoroSuub's Centroplex and shipyards were critically damaged in the assault, Byllurun's Capitol Tower was left a ruin, but it was the Home Guard command structure that suffered the most crippling loss. Unable to act to keep the southern Alliance from collapsing along with its territory in the Core, the Home Guard and SoroSuub offered what little financial and logistical support they could to the Alliance-in-Exile but ultimately were in no position to mount an effective defensive against inevitable First Order annexation.
Unlike the ancient Galactic Empire which came before, these new Imperials took a different approach towards the Home Guard. Instead of being overhauled to suit their purposes, the First Order elected to dissolve Sullust's military entirely. Native soldiers were incorporated into the Imperials' existing structure of Auxilia and eventually reorganized into the Imperial Army. It was considered a crime to wear old Home Guard equipment, part of High Command's initiatives to 'let the past die'. Many holdouts were hunted down and held in Imperial prison or simply executed as terrorists or deserters.
When the First Order fell, it happened suddenly. Contact was lost with Dosuun, and once it became apparent that the disarray spanned their empire Alliance Remnant forces seized their opportunity to launch an all out attack with the remainder of their resources. Successfully driving what reserve forces hadn't already pulled out to defend their motherland, Sullust was once more liberated from authoritarian rule and the Home Guard restored along with its democracy. After many months of rebuilding what was lost and securing the surrounding Brema Sector, the Sullustan Council formally declared itself a sovereign world of the Outer Rim Coalition with the full backing of SoroSuub and the Guard.
SUBMISSION MODIFICATIONS 10/30/19
Edited by Jaius Sovv, 30 October 2019 - 06:42 AM.