• Create Account
Photo

Star Destroyers, Factions, Companies, and what can be fielded.

Fleet-Related

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 4,158 posts

Being this is an issue close to my heart, with a love of all things spaceship-related, i wanted to ask a sort of open question regarding the fleet allowances and rules.

Currently as I understand it;

Only Major Factions can field multiple Star Destroyers (ships of 2000m)

However, an individual, a minor faction, or a company, may field a single Star Destroyer. There is scope for both a Minor Faction and a Company to field a small fleet of ships, though limited in size.

My question is if an individual is part of a minor faction, and owns multiple companies, can they field only the one Star Destroyer at a time, or one for each organization?

My suggestion, such as it is, is this.

I think a fleet meterage limit would make more sense

10000m for a minor with ships capped at 2000m
5000m for a company with ships capped at 2000m

keeps big fleets and battlecruisers for the big boys
and sets sensible limits for minors and companies

Edited by Kaine Australis, 19 December 2018 - 02:55 AM.

S7IVynM.gif

'It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but for others, I can kill.'

rdqOfV0.png8xM9kaxH_o.pngbest-mando.gif

Vigil Rostu

Vigil Rostu

G U N F I G H T E R

• Factory Judge
    • Character Bio
  • 2,200 posts

Kaine Australis

Major factions can only use multiple Star Destroyers in one setting. While yes, a Minor faction, and a Company could work together to field one on their own, Or have two "One for the company, and one for the Minor faction" The limitation you have, is that in order to own a ship or a fleet, you cannot be one singular person. 

One person, can only own a ship that is 500 meters or less in their own name. ONE company can own ONE SD, and ONE minor faction can own ONE SD. If the Company and the Minor faction were to work together for a skirmish to use both of these Singular SD's in a single thread, Yes it is plausible. However, I can almost guarantee you that it will likely be reported for using "fielding" TWO SD's when there should be only ONE. 

I am not the end all, be all of the factory, nor am I the best Ship guy around. This is just my $0.02 coming from the Factory Judge position. 

IMMkMdh.png

Laira Darkhold

Laira Darkhold

Jedi Princess

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 1,745 posts
First, the Factory Rules do not limit individuals with a hard cap if you read them, they say "within reason" which can be interpreted as 2km easily enough. I'd buy it, and while Im sure someone else will go into cost of operating an sd, it's an old argument and the word of the rules no longer supports it.

Second, I disagree with the whole reported for fielding thing, as I've seen and been in plenty of threads where individuals fielded ships larger or more than what's technically allowed. If someone does for simply showing up, they were just looking for a reason to file a report.

Third, I don't see why it would be unreasonable for a company to field one sd, and a minor faction another. It's more likely to get reported for the person using them being a jerk than having them in the first place.

Fourth, I don't see why that particular rule is still in place. Companies, minor factions, and individuals should all just be held to the pc-captained (old way of saying 1 per pc) star destroyers. Why they haven't is simply because one line in the template got held onto for two or three factory overhauls after minor factions maximum ship got upped, along with everything else. Fleet caps are meh, and companies used to be able to have 15km combat ships, before that 18km in total, which kinda sets the scale at what used to be considered big.

Edited by Laira Darkhold, 19 December 2018 - 03:40 AM.

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 4,158 posts

Laira Darkhold I'm in agreement with what you're saying there.

Limiting the big ships to PC captains would be a far better way of controlling the numbers.

S7IVynM.gif

'It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for; I can never fight for myself, but for others, I can kill.'

Khonsu Amon

Khonsu Amon

=] IMPETU ☼ SOLIS [=

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 1,626 posts

Kaine Australis - If you posted this in the appropriate section of the site, you'd note that this was already brought up during the whole battlecruiser debate. The factory admin has stated he's looking into, and eventually overhauling the entirety of the factory to make sure it's in tune with it's new mandate. Please be patient while that man works his magic. 

Khonsu_Sig_2.gif

Signature made by Bambi 

| Equipment Listing |

Darth Metus

Darth Metus

V I C E L O R D

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 3,474 posts
Kaine Australis

Disclaimer: The below is not a view supported by factory or board staff and is just Guy's $0.02. As with all pennies, feel free to lose this post in the washer machine.

keeps big fleets and battlecruisers for the big boys
and sets sensible limits for minors and companies

The rule in it's current iteration sets a sensible limit for minors and companies, in my opinion. In the event that an incredibly one percent circumstance occurs - such as the Sole individual bringing their minor faction and company allotments in one go example you provided - the powers that be are reactive as opposed to proactive. However, there is no necessity, in my mind, to change what has already been established.

The point of a major faction is that (in my opinion) they are the pinnacle of privileges on the board. Only a major faction can support multiple destroyers - and if one wants that privilege, they should plug into a major or make their own. The rules should not, on a consistent basis, be examined for change just to bridge the gap between minor/company and major. There should be and is a current distinction.

Additionally, while every major faction guns for SSDs or aspires to have the ability of fielding a great fleet presence, in practice only an extreme minority of the board actually participates in fleeting. Changing this rule is not something that would actively benefit the community at large.

Again, in my opinion, the rule isn't broke - no need to fix it.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Kaine Australis

Kaine Australis

Coopers Cooler

• Writers
    • Character Bio
  • 4,158 posts

Khonsu Amon Appropriate is a point of view. But yeah, it was a bit of a rambling thought, i guess this should be in the factory.

Darth Metus Sensible is also a very ambiguous term. It's not about bridging the gap between majors and minors, more that the rule makes sense. Companies can produce Star Destroyers but cant field them? Minor factions can rule over whole planets of billions but can't field a star destroyer, but can field dozens of slightly smaller cruisers?

I reckon it needs cleaning up, but as Khonsu said, its already being done, hopefully it works out well for everyone.

S7IVynM.gif

Jay Scott Clark

Jay Scott Clark

Alumnus

• Writers
  • 10,529 posts

Khonsu Amon - Questions section is for questions. S'all good. Let the admins worry about formatting nazi stuff like that. Otherwise, s'all peaches and pewpew. No biggie.

Kaine Australis - And like Khonsu mentioned. Gir Quee would be a good person to talk to about this. As, 99% of the site probably wouldn't notice if that rule got changed to "Minors can now field cheese and pumpkins" tomorrow. *shrugs* I myself forgot we even had rules about minor ship sizes anymore. Lulz. :P

Khonsu Amon

Khonsu Amon

=] IMPETU ☼ SOLIS [=

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 1,626 posts

Jsc - Questions section is for Questions? 

No way.

Khonsu_Sig_2.gif

Signature made by Bambi 

| Equipment Listing |

Khonsu Amon

Khonsu Amon

=] IMPETU ☼ SOLIS [=

• Character
    • Character Bio
  • 1,626 posts

Double post.

Edited by Khonsu Amon, 19 December 2018 - 07:05 PM.

Khonsu_Sig_2.gif

Signature made by Bambi 

| Equipment Listing |