OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: A standard multi-role star cruiser for the Corellia Defense catalog.
- Image Source: E.C.S. Orville | The Orville Wiki
- Canon Link: N/A
- Primary Source: Star Cruiser | Nadesico-class Patrol Cruiser
- Manufacturer: Corellia Defense
- Affiliation: Closed-Market
- Model: CD-7 Sentinel-class Heavy Explorer
- Production: Minor
- Material: Durasteel (frame), Carbon-Durasteel Armor (hull plating), Transparisteel (viewports)
- Classification: Patrol Cruiser
- Length: 600m
- Width: 160m
- Height: 200m
- Armament: Average
- Defenses: Moderate
- Fighter Hangar: Low: 1 squadron
- Support Craft Hangar [500 meters]: 0.5 squadron
- Maneuverability Rating: Moderate
- Speed Rating: Average
- Hyperdrive Class: Moderate: 1.0 | Very Slow: 10 (back-up hyperdrive)
- Maneuvering. The Sentinel-class design incorporated strategic placement of its maneuvering thrusters, resulting in ship handling that was better-than-average for a vessel of its size.
- Jack-of-all-Trades. The Sentinel-class design is balanced so to be capable of performing in a variety of mission profiles, from system defense to scientific exploration to electronic warfare or humanitarian relief operations.
- Unique Electromagnetic Signature. Corellia Defense vessels use a unique Hoersch-Kessel ion drive design for their main propulsion. The resulting engine wash is faintly radioactive. This electromagnetic signature was distinguishable from background cosmic radiation and allowed the vessels to be tracked or detected.
- Jack-of-all-Trade. The Sentinel-class being balanced as a multi-role cruiser means that it does not excel in any of particular role or capacity. It's evacuation capacity is restricted by the space required for its combat systems, it's offensive capabilities are limited into just one type of energy or projectile weapon, and its defensive capabilities are overly reliant on point-defense and up-rated hull armor. In a severe humanitarian crisis, its medical bays would be understaffed. In a protracted battle, its staying power would be diminished over time, and its strategic options in an engagement are extremely limited.
- No Planetfall Capability. The Sentinel-class design uses sweeping arches that give the ship a distinctive appearance; however, those arches are not designed to withstand the structural rigors of planetary gravity or the gravimetric sheer that occurs during terrestrial landing. As such, this is an orbital and interstellar space only star cruiser.
The Sentinel-class star cruiser is the principle military defense vehicle of the Corellia Defense catalog. Rather than rely on the geo-political military powers for system or sector defense, the Sentinel-class Heavy Explorer allows Jedi or Jedi-aligned groups to operate as a form of "Coast Guard" either concurrent or independent of larger military power projection. This gives it functionality for Sector Rangers, Antarian Rangers, or small task forces of Jedi operators. Consistent with that mandate, the Sentinel-class design is balanced for multi-role operations involving scientific exploration and humanitarian aid relief in addition to military patrol and defense options.
Construction of the Sentinel-class took place at the orbital fleet yards over the planet Selonia. Like all products manufactured by the Corellia Digital Corporation, all aspects of the Sentinel's design, construction, and labor were drawn from within among the Five Brothers.
Edited by Sor-Jan Xantha, 07 April 2019 - 05:09 PM.