OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: A ferocious creature to add to the bestiary
- Image Credit: Link
- Canon: No
- Links: Myrkr, Borleias, Clan Australis, Vornskr, Ysalamir
- Name: Haran'Senaar (Hell Bird)
- Designation: Non-sentient
- Origins: Myrkr
- Average Lifespan: 20 years
- Estimated Population: Inter-Planetary (Approximately 20000 on Myrkr, several hundred on Borleias though an accurate account for that world is nigh impossible)
- Description: A muscular, red eyed, dark feathered, bipedal species with clawed hands and feet, a pair of cowl-like wings that allow it to fly, and cover its body like a cloak when it is on the ground.
- Breathes: Type I
- Average Height of Adults: 2 meters
- Average Length of Adults: 2 meters
- Average Wingspan of Adults: 4 meters
- Average Weight of Adults: 120 kilograms
- Skin color: Inky black
- Hair (Feathers) color: Dark grey to black
- Distinctions: Muscular body with clawed hands and feet. Large red eyes. Feathers cover the torso, limbs and head. Sharp black beak on the middle of the face below the eyes, and ears at the top of the head.
- Races: None
- Force Sensitivity: Non-Sensitive
- Physically strong with muscular arms and legs, with sharp claws
- Immune to all Force-based attacks
- The creatures are unarmoured in any way, and are susceptible to any and all modern weapons
- When attacking, they always announce their presence loudly with screeches and howls
- Diet: Carnivore (prefers Vornskr)
- Communication: The species communicates through high-pitched howls and screeches, usually to declare it has found prey and to warn others away or invite them to join the hunt.
- Technology level: None
- Religion/Beliefs: None
- General behavior: The species is incredibly hostile, and though migratory, are quite territorial outside their pack. They will readily prey on their own if there are no alternative food sources available. The Vornskr of Myrkr is their primary prey animal; it will not be able to sense their presence, its primary hunting Force sense useless.
A Hell Bird pack will move as one from a selected hunting ground to a new area, spread out over a wide area. When prey is located, the screeches and howls tell the others what the prey is, and whether the Haran'Senaar is willing to share. Their primary method of attack is with their large hand and foot claws, which are sharp and tough, though they will also use their beak and wings, or even their head as a weapon if required.
With larger prey, whole entire packs of fifty or more will combine to take down the prize. They are relentless and can overwhelm even the largest predators; and will only flee after much of their number are killed.
One of the many species that were mutilated, changed, and transformed during the Gulag Plague, this airborne terror was unknown to the galaxy until discovered by a Mandalorian hunting party in 851 ABY.
The four man squad's only warning was a deafening screech, before the first red-eyed winged horror descended on their party. Unprepared for the strength, ferocity and sheer brutality of the attack, the first man died screaming, claws slicing him in several vulnerable areas.
The rest of the party took down the creature with combined fire, but it was too late. Screeches and howls filled the jungle air, and more than a dozen additional predators descended. The hunting party was wiped out, their HUD cameras capturing the nightmare.
Once Kaine, Alor of Clan Australis saw the footage, he ordered that the species be investigated for the purposes of warfare. A far better prepared hunting party managed to capture several live specimens for study, and the Mandalorian scientists went to work.
MBE science teams successfully bred live Haran'Senaar, and studied them, building a complete behavioural and genetic picture of this aggressive and dangerous species. One surprising discovery was the species had adapted to hunt the Vornskrs of Myrkr; and thus produced a far smaller and less effective form of the bubble in the Force that Ysalamiri had evolved for similar defence. The Haran'Senaar do not combine to create a larger bubble as Ysalamir do, so each is its own small and independent bubble, not much larger than the creature with its wings fully extended.
Some of the captured adults were released onto the hell world of Borleias, to see how they would fare against such a hostile ecosystem. At last check, the species had not only survived, but thrived enough to sustain a substantial population, something that Kaine noted only added to the dangers of duty on that world.
First described by Kaine as "Just one of the many ways the Great Maker shows he loves us.", this hostile carnivore is dangerous when encountered alone, and more so when it is accompanied by more of its kind. A tale to frighten small children, this one lives only in the most hostile of environments, the jungles and forests of Myrkr and Borleias, preying on the predators.