OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To submit a cool landmark and thematic base of operations for ORC in the Demonsgate system.
- Image Source: Razer Space Station by Maxim Revin
- Canon Link: /
- Primary Source: /
- Manufacturer: Squib Merchandising Consortium, SoroSuub Corporation
- Affiliation: Outer Rim Coalition
- Model: Gargantua-class Deep Space Mining Platform
- Material: Doonium Hull, Impervium Alloy, Alusteel Reinforced Frame, Durasteel
- Classification: Mining Platform
- Length: 30,000 meters
- Width: 25,000 meters
- Height: 25,000 meters
- Armament: None
- Defenses: Extreme
- 10 Capital Grade Docking Arms
- Vehicle Bays
- Maneuverability Rating: Very Low
- Speed Rating: Very Low
- Hyperdrive Class: Very Slow: Class 10
- Reinforced Armor Plating
- Double Redundant Deflector Generators
- Standard Sensor Array
- Escape Pods
- HoloNet Transciever
- Long-range Communications Array
- Standard Life Support Systems
- Tractor Beams (x300)
- Mining Lasers: Equipped with thousands of mining lasers and plasma drills, these tools are ideal for Gargantua One's original purpose, deep space asteroid mining. Mostly useless now that the station has been anchored over Demonsgate, occasionally a rogue comet passes close enough for mining ships to capture and tow back to be broken down.
- Vehicle Bays: Massive enough that the lower hull dips into Demonsgate's upper atmosphere, vehicle bays along the station's belly allow for the safe launch of atmospheric craft. Loaded with air haulers, mining skiffs, and specialized landspeeders, this is where the bulk of the station's day to day operations are focused.
- Research Lab: Originally used simply to verify the quality of phrik ore being harvested, since the discovery of the Black Pyramid more specialized equipment has been delivered and a portion of the station is now devoted to scientific research.
- Money Machine: The phrik goes in, the talons come out. Garguanta One is one of the primary suppliers of phrik in the entire galaxy. While hazardous travel over vast gulfs of nothingness makes for a long return on investment, steady streams of independent ore transports willing to brave the dangers of the Rift provide significant income for the ORC.
- Safe Haven: The Rift is a dangerous place, and Demonsgate even more so. Through layers and layers of hull plating, Gargantua One provides an island of relative safety. Often victim to pirate raids and Rift anomalies, some of the station's locked down sectors are less safe than others.
- Falling Apart: No ship was meant to last in the Rift for very long. Despite being composed of some of the most durable materials in the known galaxy, hull breaches and malfunctioning subsystems are all too common. A steady convoy of tender and resupply vessels is necessary just to keep the station operational.
- Environmental Hazard: If there were ever to be a major incident or attack and Garguanta One crashed into Demonsgate's surface, the results would be cataclysmic. Please don't break our capital world.
A recent addition to the local landscape, Gargantua One languished half-complete over Skor II for years before it was retasked to exploit the Rift. Originally conceived of as the largest deep space miner ever built, it is capable of truly spectacular mineral processing output. Eventually the Merchandising Consortium ran out of credits to complete to project, but after an injection of talons from the Outer Rim Commodity Supply SoroSuub engineers were brought on board to finish construction so that large scale mining operations on Demonsgate would finally become viable.
Much of the additional work was done while the station was en route to its final destination, due to its class 10 hyperdrive travel from Skor II to Demonsgate took nearly a full galactic standard year. Some sections of Gargantua One are still under construction in fact, although these finishing touches have become a low priority in light of the far greater than expected maintenance costs. The Rift is an aberration of space, and repair teams are a constant sight on board as key components are always breaking down and the hull plating quickly corrodes.
Edited by Miel Tevv, 07 June 2019 - 11:20 AM.