OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To create a superior alloy for armour production
- Image Source: Link
- Primary Source: None
- Name: Mandalorium
- Manufacturer: MandalArms
- Affiliation: MandalArms, Closed-Market
- Production: Limited
- Modularity: No
- Material: Phrik, Songsteel, Ultrachrome, Condensed-matter Composite
- Classification: Metal Alloy
- Weight: Heavy
- Blasters (And other plasma type weapons): High
- Kinetic: Average
- Lightsabers: High
- Sonic: Average
- EMP/ION: Average
- Elemental: High
- Color: Very dark green
- Resistant to energy, electrical, sonic, corrosive, and kinetic impact damage
- Energy-diffusive properties allow the alloy to absorb significant amounts of direct energy
- Durable layered design with atom-sized sheets of resistant materials is very resistant to external stress
- Though resistant to external violation the alloy does not diffuse kinetic energy
- Alloy is heavier than more basic armour materials
MandalArms has long been in the business of producing arms and armaments for the galaxy's wars. The R&D department is constantly at work devising new and cutting edge technologies. Few breakthroughs thus far had been made in the area of materials science, until recently.
Working with carbon initially, researchers perfected a sheeting process whereby atom-thick sheets are layered one upon another, producing an extremely resistant form. Experiments with various other substances led to the initial effort, dubbed Mandalorium.
Layers of condensed matter composite, phrik, songsteel and ultrachrome produce an alloy that has superior resistance to both kinetic and energy damage, highly prized in modern combat environments. Mandalorium enjoys the benefits of energy absorbing and diffusing strengths of ultrachrome and phrik, combined with the vibration-resistant strengths of songsteel and condensed-matter composite.
Surprisingly flexible for its density, it is well suited for use in personal armour, as well as vehicles. It is recommended that personal armour suits utilize ballistic dampening such as gel or foam to protect the wearer from heavy blows.
Named for the homeworld of the Mandalorians, this highly-expensive and difficult to produce alloy pushes forward the cutting edge in materials science.
Edited by Kaine Australis, 15 June 2019 - 11:46 PM.