OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To submit another unique substance found only in Coalition territory, can be used as a plot macguffin or for building wacky tech.
- Image Source: ZPM
- Primary Source: The DarkStryder Campaign
- Name: Kathol Rift Energy aka "Ghost Matter"
- Manufacturer: Aing-Tii, Black Market (distributors)
- Affiliation: Outer Rim Coalition, Closed-Market
- Modularity: No.
- Material: Nebulaic Accretion, Dimensional Particle Waves, Exotic Subspace-Time Fluctuations
- Classification: Gas/Refined Fuel
- Weight: Very Light
- Blasters/Plasma: None
- Ancient Power Source: Just as hypermatter annihilation supplanted fusion reactors, refined Rift energy is an extraordinarily efficient form of power storage and generation common across several fallen civilizations who previously inhabited the Kathol region and surrounding Wild Space.
- Precursor Skeleton Key: Anyone in possession of sufficient ghost matter can power those few devices and/or facilities built by the Ancients which have endured the sands of time.
- Psychic Scattering Field: Because of the substance's unique Force properties, proximity to ghost matter is not so much a cloak as a localized breakdown of supernatural 'laws'. Extrasensory abilities are not reliable in close proximity.
- Some Hallucinations Required: The Aing-Tii are immune to its deleterious effects and if the other forerunners' developed shielding tech it is long lost. Existing containment protocols are still experimental, having only succeeded so far in reducing the intensity of Rift psychosis to more infrequent outbursts.
- Improbability Calculus: This is some next level science. Ghost matter is the physical byproduct of a wound in reality, any tech which uses it cannot easily be repaired in the field and is prone to catastrophic malfunction.
- Forceconductive: Sensitives are uniquely vulnerable to the Rift's harmful properties. Effects of long term exposure are sometimes irreversible.
For many ghost matter and similar phenomena represent the ultimate mystery of the Kathol Rift. Although the details of the Rift Disaster are long forgotten modern science has concluded that aeons ago some form of extradimensional event occurred, warping the surrounding region of spacetime into what we now know as 'the Rift' and possibly even transforming the Kathol Outback itself into the vast mostly empty void it is today. The particulars are unknown, but significant archaeological evidence indicates that the region's modern inhabitants are not the first to have studied and experimented with ghost matter as a source of power.
Although they will neither confirm nor deny many speculate that Aing-Tii technology runs mostly or completely off harnessed Rift energy. The ease with which they navigate the Rift would suggest at least a partial evolutionary immunity to the material's harmful effects on organic life. Several other theorized ghost matter relics have been discovered in Wild Space ruins, and even the Precursor's launch gates appeared to utilized a prototypical form of extra-dimensional siphoning that seems to have preceded the Disaster itself.
Considering the sheer benefits in terms of portability, power output, and longevity one would wonder why ghost matter hasn't replaced hyperfuel across the galaxy. Apart from the mentioned psychological side effects, pockets of viable ghost matter can only be found in the depths of the Kathol Rift. It is extremely difficult to extract, refine, and transport in bulk without the entire crew descending into madness. That is, if they even survive the Rift itself. The only known stockpile in the galaxy is located on the Aing-Tii homeworld, although there are serious talons to be made on the black market for any crew desperate enough to risk an illegal harvesting expedition.
Edited by Atlas Drake, 08 November 2019 - 12:35 PM.