Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Lesson in Obstinance

qXyyFKk.png

-

Objective: An unconventional lesson

I really need some friends my age thought Varys as she paced the steps in front of the temple.

It was a chill morning, but the sun was shining and already gaggles of tourists were gathering to try and get a glimpse of the Jedi within the Temple grounds. Others sat on the stone benches in the plaza, enjoying their breakfast or a caf as they watched Coruscanti businesspeople dart to and fro. The scene was marred by the Mandalorian, who refused to mingle with the tourists, and instead waited impatiently on the front steps. Understandably, she made people nervous.

The trip had already been more trouble than it was worth. Varys was filthy, her armour caked in mud, its fine paintwork scratched, and she stood in the morning light with a weariness that her usual defiance could not hide. Varys had travelled far, and risked much, for what she was now realising was more than likely a fool's errand. Still, she was here now, so why not try?

Varys made the walk up the stairs and approached the great doors again, and as she drew near, a blank-faced Sentinel held up a hand, gently yet firmly refusing her entry, as he had already done a dozen times that morning. She threw up her hands in frustration as a Marshall hurried over to de-escalate.

"Madam as I said you can't go in unless you're on official business with the Jedi."

"Utreekov. I am on official business!" Varys hissed in response for the eighth time. "I told you already that I am a daughter of Clan Kryze and I need to see Valery Noble. Now will somebody please stop wasting my time and GO GET HER."

The man looked perturbed, and Varys saw him place a hand on the blaster at his waist. Varys sighed and turned away, huffing as she made her way back down the stairs. As she did, the Marshall called after her.

"You're not the first person to do this lady! The Jedi don't come out for visitors. Why don't you save everyone some time and just go home?"

But Varys didn't. She sat on the steps, letting her anger simmer down to stubbornness, and waited.

Coruscant Temple
HAIuSyi.png

Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Weapons: Lightsabers

"It's quite alright," Valery said as she began to walk down the steps. She had caught a glimpse of the Marshal's hand dipping down to his blaster and gave him a look that counted as a warning. The man understood immediately, withdrew his hand, and stepped aside to let the Jedi Master pass. The Temple Guards made no move to stop her either — they trusted her and as long as no weapons were drawn, they wouldn't interfere.

They stayed close though, and watched intently.

"It has been a while," Valery finally said once she got closer to Varys. "I can't say I was expecting you to come all the way out here, but perhaps I should have made it easier to find me if you needed to." She stopped, dipped her head, and offered the younger woman a warm smile. She looked like she had just gone through battle, or at least something that had roughened her up. It sparked many questions, some related to Jenn and others to the woman herself.

But one thing at a time.

"How can I help you?"

Varys dipped low into a stiff bow that did not suit her. She tried to present an air of class and properness-- Something which Valery had in spades and Varys sorely lacked-- But she found she couldn't sell it. Varys was at once a princess of sorts and a humble traveller. She did not wear either role particularly well.

"Valery Noble." Varys fixed a firm look on the Grand-something-or-other. She was not one to mince words, so she laid out her case right there on the steps.

"The Alor has said that the clan must be self sufficient, able to support ourselves and fight off our enemies. I have realised something, that your people, the Jetii and Dar'Jetii, represent a threat we cannot resist. This cannot go on."

She paused, glancing over the woman's shoulder to the inscrutible temple guard, and worried for the first time that she might have miscalculated. What if, after all this carrying on, Valery refused her request? Varys would bring embarassment upon her house. No, she could not allow that to happen.

"So I need you." Varys continued. "You and your ilk wield the Manda like a weapon. I know that Jenn has this gift too, but she is but one person. Jetii and Dar'Jetii represent a great threat to my clan. We cannot defend against it."

Varys pointed a finger at Valery.

"You will make good on your friendship to my aliit. My family, and show me how to defeat your people."

Varys heard a guffaw from over her right shoulder. The Marshall, or perhaps one of the gathering crowd of onlookers beginning to form around the Master Jedi and the young Mando'ad. She grit her teeth, eyes fixed on Valery with determination.

"So?"

Coruscant Temple
HAIuSyi.png

At first, Valery was starting to understand where the conversation was going and offered a smile that showed her openness to the idea of offering advice or help. But Varys was quickly rather bold when she pointed her finger at her and almost demanded it from her. She didn't — not quite — but the way she chose her words played on Valery's friendship with Jenn and the care she had for the woman and her people.

Was she really given a choice?

Onlookers weren't all that sure about it, seeing a Mandalorian pointing at a rather familiar Jedi whilst making demands. Valery, however, just perked a brow and ignored the sound people made around her. She didn't really care what anybody thought of this interaction.

She did care about Jenn and her people being ready for what was to come.

"I like your spirit," Valery said with a chuckle, "And I will show you, but not here." The Temple was no place for such training. No, Valery had a far better idea.

"Did you come here with a ship or do you want to travel with me? We're going somewhere I can teach and test you."

On hearing Valery's affirmation, Varys beamed. She stood straight and still, doing her best to give the impression she was cool headed and impassive. In reality she wanted to shout and holler in celebration. If she had come all this way only to be sent packing, that would have all but broken her spirit. But Valery had agreed, and maybe that meant things were finally going to go Varys' way.

"You will not regret this." said Varys, bowing her head. That was probably a stretch. Knowing Varys there was a good chance Valery would end up wishing she'd never entertained the idea. Still, the woman had given her word. Varys was happy to take that as far as it would go.

"Did you come here with a ship or do you want to travel with me? We're going somewhere I can teach and test you."

Varys thought back to her whirlwind journey to Coruscant. Stowing aboard departing starliners and cargo haulers, getting caught. Escaping by a hair. That journey had left her body and her ego bruised, and given her a few extra harrowing memories to linger on as she went to sleep.

"Uhm. I no. I... What's the word in basic? Hitchhiked."

She trailed off awkwardly.

"Maybe we take your ship."

Varys fell in to step behind Valery as she led the way.

"So, where will we train?"

Coruscant Temple
HAIuSyi.png

"I won't," Valery reassured with a kind smile. Even of Varys was somehow going to end up being her most difficult student ever - which was highly unlikely - Valery wouldn't regret this decision. She wanted to help Varys, not only because of her connection to Jenn, but also because Valery believed in Varys. She could never turn away now.

"Sure, we can take my ship." Valery chuckled and decided against asking more about her hitchhiking her way to Coruscant.

Just in case.

"We're going to New Cov. Heard of it before?" Valery asked while she began to walk down the Temple's stairs. "It's a Jungle World a bit out of Alliance Space. One of the most dangerous ones in the Galaxy, where the fauna and flora are so lethal that the only settlements are cities with huge domes built around them." Valery flashed an excited grin and waved over a taxi.

"I know a spot there. It'll be a challenge but it'll be worth it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom