Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A piece of me

Alliance Corvette: Helios Grip

Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania

Makko woke slowly. At times, he found the soft hum of the engines reverberating through the small ship to be soothing. He was alone in bed.

He rolled to one side, throwing one leg over the edge of the bed and standing quickly. He struggled to hold his balance and then sat back down. Makko let out a frustrated sigh.

His physiotherapy was going well. For short periods he could walk and run without aid, but he was still struggling. It was since the Sith Vazz Vazz had almost severed his spine.

Makko reached for a small silver device on the table. It looked like a large centipede, lounging on its wireless charging pad. He lifted it up, tucking his head forwards to place it against his bare back. It reattached itself to his spine.

spine.png

Pins and needles spread down his legs to his toes. The sensation quickly passed and Makko stood up again. Whilst he needed to finish his therapy, it could take a year before he was back to his best. For now, this helped his body work as it had before. The device helped connect his nervous system and bypass the damaged nerves.

They were already assembled in the briefing room when Makko arrived. Cora and a small group of officers looking at a holographic image of a mountain stronghold where the Sith cultists had been.

Mwkko offered a small smile towards Cora and placed his hands on the table. He suspected that she'd asked Valery to let her come along and watch him. He would have done the same in her position.

Cora offered Makko a smile in return. She'd been a little concerned over Makko's recovery after nearly losing his life to a crimson blade, but he'd been cleared for duty. A tilt of her head acknowledged his entrance, and the briefing began.

"We've been able to confirm – at least in partial – some of the troubling rumors regarding the Lortan Fanatics. Our intel indicates that they may be experiencing a resurgence, but we can't confirm if this is the real deal, an offshoot, or some other cult set up in their old temples."

The commanding officer flicked on a projection of Lorta. The planet rotated slowly, and a few taps brought them closer to he surface, then to an image of a crumbling citadel.

"What we do know is that they're relatively small in number, and that they're likely protecting an artifact from the original Fanatics. We're not exactly sure what, but that why we've got you two with us."

The soldier tilted his head towards Makko, then Cora.

"Orders are to investigate this cult and to retrieve the artifact, if it exists."

Makko Vyres Makko Vyres

Last edited:
As a Knight, Makko had been sent on a number of excursions alone. He still preferred to have a plan of some kind placed before him.

When he had finally put himself into his training it had accelerated his development, but mostly in his ability to manipulate the Force. There were lessons in the old texts and proverbs, but they were too abstract for Makko.

There had been precious little training in how to lead a mission. That, it seemed, was left to practical demonstrations between a master and apprentice.

Today he was going to relay on the soldiers and trust their work. He was also going to trust Cora on matters of the Sith. It had taken time, but they had grown far closer since Ukatis than they had been before the surprise engagement.

"Any chance they've been talking to any wider dark side groups or cults?" Makko asked.

"Not that we're aware of, but it's possible. This lot have started intimidating local criminal groups but have been slow to expand their influence."

Makko pointed to a spot just beyond line of sight of the old citadel.

"Drop us off there and we can investigate on foot?" he suggested, looking to Cora. "But keep the gunship in the air in case we need to go the direct way in?"

With hands clasped behind her back, Cora passively watched the exchange between Makko and the soldier. One corner of her lips tilted upward, imperceptibly so.

While she may have been more knowledgeable about the Sith, Makko knew better how groups like this would attempt to exert their influence.

Canting her head closer to the projection, she eyed the spot Makko was pointing at. Then she nodded.

"I had the opportunity to examine one of the Fanatics' old temples recently." She began. "The presence of a malevolent energy was strong. I'd urge caution-"

Cora glanced from Makko, to the soldiers. She'd no idea if the latter would believe her, but she wasn't certain how much experience they might've had with Sith and their ilk.

"At the very least, be prepared for them to try and influence your thoughts and senses."

-

Once they were on the ground, Cora honed her focus on the citadel in the distance. She breathed in, slow and deep, and let herself acclimate to the gloomy atmosphere and threads of Darkness in the Force. They would only grow from here.

"You slept in this morning."

Her tone was clipped, but not in a way that was insincere. Makko knew how she felt about rules and punctuality, but he also knew how worried she'd been since he'd nearly died at the hands of a Sith.

Her gaze only left the citadel to glance towards him as she lifted the hood of her cloak over her head.

Makko Vyres Makko Vyres

He glanced at Cora out of the corner of his eye. He did not miss her tone.

"Sorry," he said quietly.

"I'm good for this," he added as she looked towards him.

He felt he was ready. And he also felt that he needed this. Even though he was comfortable with cybernetics, he didn't like thinking about the device that was veritable drilled into his back. It was a means to an end.

Makko couldn't take the idea of being barely mobile for another six months. He wanted to be useful. It was boring and frustrating to be a burden.

"I might be tired, but I wouldn't be here if I thought I'd put you in danger."

He followed her down a short path before they had to pick a route up towards the old fort.

"Get close enough to see what we're dealing with?" he asked.

"Hm."

Cora wasn't upset - her tone might've said otherwise, but Makko could pick up on the subtle differences.

She was concerned for him, and he tried to assuage that.

"I know you wouldn't."

Her voice was a little softer now. Makko's recovery had been difficult, and she knew how he hated being idle. That didn't stop her from fretting over him.

At the base of the building, two sentries stood. They worry flowing black robes, and dark hoods obscured their faces.

"Two guards," she murmured. "Probably lackies, right?"

Makko Vyres Makko Vyres

"Two guards," she murmured. "Probably lackies, right?"

Makko let his response flow to her immediately as an acknowledgement through the Force. They had developed a strong bond, both in their relationship and through the Force itself. They had yet to truly test how well they could take advantage of it to fight side by side.

With the dark forces on the move again, they would find out. Even if that was not today.

Wait a moment

Makko closed his eyes. He tried to stretch out with the Force without disturbing it too much. There was a small chance they had some talented acolytes amongst them.

He pointed to a small black dot on the wall, then to another. In the Force he had felt the flow of information. A basic camera system.

"I can disable it," he said quietly. "And we could leave them and jump the walls."

It was an offer of an alternative route. He glanced up at the stones of the old citadel. It was a jump he would have taken easily before being cut down.

Wait a moment.

Cora was a little surprised at how easily they could share sentiments and small messages with one another through their bond.

She looked from one black dot, to the other as Makko pointed them out, and nodded her assent.

"It's best do to this as quietly as possible." Her agreement was spoken quietly. If there was a chance to avoid the sentries and enter the building undetected, that was better than attempting to take anyone out.

Her gaze scaled to the top of the citadel. Makko had been out of commission for nearly half a year, and Cora recalled her own frustration for being out of practice after her marriage ended.

"Let…let me know if you need anything, alright?"

Makko Vyres Makko Vyres

"Let…let me know if you need anything, alright?"

Makko gave a curt nod and dipped back out of sight from the two guards. He took a slow breath, closed his eyes and reached for the Force.

Every time it was like repeating the slow meditations they had trained them, but done in a moment as if it was completely natural. With that concentration came a focus and clarity.

That note of worry in her voice resonated with him. For just a moment he looked upon his own behaviour through an objective lens.

Makko opened his eyes.

"I probably will need help," he admitted quietly. "It's not been fun getting back together from this and you've been amazing. I... need to do this, but I can't put you in danger for that. So... yeah... I've just saying. When we find a place to get up the wall maybe you go first and catch me if I fuck up."

There was a slight, subtle shift in the Force around Makko.

"That's the security system down."

It should have been easier to say, but in the last few days his focus had turned inwards as he had prepared to press on with the mission. He had been more concerned that his courage would break before his body.

Cora watched him carefully, passively. Her expression, stern and focused, softened with his admission.

She turned to look fully at Makko. It was a big step for him to be honest about needing help, but she knew well the urge to feel normal again.

"I know." She agreed softly. Cora would've kicked up a proper fuss beforehand if she didn't think he was ready. “You’ll be alright. We’ll be alright.”

The Force shifted around them, just slightly, and Cora murmured a quiet "wow". His ability to manipulate technology had always been impressive.

Turning her attention back to Makko for a moment, Cora reached for his hand. She squeezed it, gentle but firm, and gave him an encouraging smile.

"I'm going in."

She drew her hand away, extending her senses outward. There was a blind spot where the citadel curved away from the two sentries, and Cora made use of it as she cautiously approached the structure. The Force coiled beneath her feet and she surged upward in a leap, grappling onto a stone parapet.

She rolled over the short wall, letting out a silent huff. The sentries were still on the ground, unmoving. The Force had not been disturbed.

Cora glanced over the parapet, waiting for Makko, poised to assist his assent if needed.

Makko Vyres Makko Vyres

The exchange was brief, but it was important. Even if it had followed several weeks of Makko not articulating how he felt, she had known. They hadn't needed a long conversation. They could express and understand a lot more with a lot less now.

Makko offered a fond smile of gratitude, a firm little nod and followed her as she picked a path. He felt a touch of pride as she launched herself so effortlessly. Cora had been far ahead of him when they met at the academy. Now she was once again becoming the Jedi she had the potential to become.

He gauged the height of the wall and tried not to overthink the jump. The Force gathered around him as his feet left the ground. He had the height, but the landing was awkward and Cora had to stop him tumbling over.

He flashed an amused grimace and crawled forwards.

"Ah..."

For a brief moment he thought the jump must have dislodged his spinal booster. Instead it was the wash of dark energy that struck him. He had to take a deep breath. It was overwhelming.

His youth had been shaped by the night, but it seemed that his adult life would be shaped by the forces of the Dark Side. They had nearly taken Cora from him and almost left him paralysed.

He crawled back towards Cora and the sensation stopped. It was sudden.

Stay there a moment! He imparted.

He glanced down at the stone floor of the walkway. There was a deep groove that cut through the middle of the walkway. Around every foot it joined a set of tunes he didn't recognised. When he looked closely he could see dark ruddy stains that hadn't been washed away. Blood.

There is some sith magic in the wall containing the influence of the artefact. It's here.

Makko pointed to the line that seemed to mark the edge of the spell.

Cora reached out with curled fingers to steady his landing. She started crawling towards him, but stopped short.

Sith magic?

Shimmying forwards, she peered over the edge and to the line Makko was pointing at. Markings carved deeply into the stone were stained a deep brown.

Cora grimaced, but let her eyes follow the circle of runes. Neither of them could decipher it, so she pressed her palms to the stonework beneath them and stretched out her senses.

It feels violent. I can try to dispel it with Force Light, but it might not work.

A failed attempt could also trigger them to be noticed. Even a successful attempt might.

Makko Vyres Makko Vyres

Makko considered the suggestion. Within the walls was an empty courtyard. A large keep stood there. Pieces of the dark wall had crumbled, white mortar had been applied to try and covet the cracks. There were like pale scars that hadn't healed properly.

He couldn't see anyone moving. He would normally be able to pinpoint the minds of those around him through the Force but everything was foggy.

I don't think we should risk being seen here.

They were on the wall, but the keep was also a defendable position. If they were discovered here they could end up having to lay siege to the fortress, particularly if tunnels had been dug into the mountain.

I think this magic in the walls is hiding whatever this artefact is. I can feel it when I lean my head past the runes. Like...a whisper in the back of my head. I bet it's in there.

Makko nodded towards the keep.

wjujCZT.png
Cora chewed at her bottom lip. Telepathy was always an uncomfortable thing - invasive as it was - but it was easier with Makko Vyres Makko Vyres . There was a measure of control, of being able to close one's mind away from the other if needed.

Right now, she was thankful for it.

Her gaze locked onto the keep, following the faint thread of dark essence. She squinted.

Let's try a stealthy approach. Whatever it is will likely be guarded - by Sith magics or sentries.

The quicker they retrieved the object, the quicker they could leave. It would be unlikely that they'd go entirely unnoticed, and she sent off a quick message to the team on the ship to stand by in case they needed a quick retreat.

Cora reached over and squeezed Makko's hand as she focused on the towering walls of the keep. Three floors high. She crept closer across the walkway with deft movements, suppressing grunts of exertion as she scaled the wall. The crumbling stonework came in handy, allowing for many footholds.

Until the outcropping she'd latched onto fell from her hand. Dislodged from the tower, it fell and clattered to the ground. Cora swayed and hugged the wall.

She could hear footfalls from one of the sentries on the ground. Carefully, she inched towards a shadowed, obscured part of the spire.
Dc6pDtW.png

It had been some time since he had thought hard about his second stint on Denon, but he thought about it now as he followed Cora.

After returning to Denon he had used himself as a bargaining chip. Hoping to have them deal with Cora's husband, Makko had thrown himself back into the Denon street wars. This time, with his Jedi skills, he had infiltrated gang hideouts in the dark and carried out dark deeds.

If Cora hadn't delved into the dark to drag him back he still would have been there. The respect and all the gifts showered over him had been intoxicating when he had grown up at the bottom rung. He would always be ashamed of that time.

Crawling as quietly as he could he was reminded of that time. The device was compensating for the spinal damage, but his body didn't respond quite right. His own body didn't feel as it should. It was not a substitute for months of gruelling physiotherapy.

He grimaced as the tile fell. The crack rang out.

"Hey, someone up there?"

The pitch of the voice gave away the age of the young man.

Look for a way in, I'll deal with them.

Makko dropped over the edge like a shadow. In the moment he felt a clarity of purpose that cut through the doubt, through the dark haze the clung to the fringes of his mind.

He landed on both feet, the shock causing a flash of pain through his spine. He stood tall before the sentry.

"Shit," Makko muttered, "You're just a kid. Don't do anything stupid."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom