Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Ashla's With Us, Still

UA719oC.png

The recent invasion of Tython was not a topic of discussion among anyone living at The Guesthouse.

It was a privilege to not be part of the war against the Sith—to not even think about them often—but it was also a dangerous ignorance. Malcoma knew that now and had know that soon after she had first nestled herself in the Core.

What she had chosen to carry was already too much, almost too heavy at times for herself and her chosen family to bear. She had a vague idea that, if she had been born sensitive to the Force, she would have made a very poor Jedi: she was a criminal after all. The road she walked was paved with good intentions, of which she was very proud, but she was also sure that it led to some version of hell anyway. She could only hope that that destination was just for her and not for her girls, or even Damris. Condemning anyone she cared about to the long prison sentence that was certainly in store for her an almost unbearable possibility to think about, but the high chance that it was, at least in part, an eventuality forced her to imagine it nonetheless.

Perhaps having considerations like those would have made her a better Jedi than she gave herself credit for. Perhaps it wasn't as she had told a Family associate years ago—that she would have been a Sith had she been gifted with connection to life's throughline. Perhaps her anger and propensity for violence and desire for power did check Sith boxes but would not in and of themselves had decided her fate.

Valery, the Grandmaster of the New Jedi Order, hated slavers. She did not seem like one who would be appalled at killing those who could not possibly change their character by self-motivation or outside momentum. What's more, she was the most powerful individual in that faction, maybe not because she had desired the title itself but its capacity to drive reform, large and small, near and far; to be a force for good.

"A little more to the left... Switch places with me. Here." She reached out to hold the frame in place.

Damris slowly retracted his hands and stepped back a couple meters.

"What do you think?"

"I like it."

She scoffed playfully, looking over her shoulder at him. "Well, don't just say that."

"No, I really..." He trailed off as the muffled sound of a speeder engine neared, and his gaze slid to the large bay window looking from the foyer out onto the rotunda driveway.

Mal placed the frame down on the seat of the nearest armchair before glancing outside as well. The approaching red bike she had not seen before, but the leather-clad figure riding it was instantly familiar. As she moved towards the door, he walked behind her towards the stairs. "Thank you, darling," she said knowingly without looking at him. By the time Mal opened the front door for Val, Damris was on his way to the security office, hidden by the walls of a hallway on the second floor.

Outfit

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Last edited:

UA719oC.png

HAIuSyi.png

There was something freeing about riding a bike that nothing else could match. The speed, that tingling feeling in her gut, the ability to take a turn wherever she liked and go wherever she pleased — it was relaxing. It was exactly the kind of distraction Valery needed after the battles fought in the core and the subsequent retreat of Alliance forces. Once more, they were at war with an evil that sought only to destroy.

Once more, she would be at the very front of it all.

Up ahead, Valery spotted the guesthouse and smiled underneath her helmet. As freeing as it was to endlessly drive around alone on her bike, she was a social creature as well. She loved spending time with her family, but she sometimes needed time away from home as well to visit friends or people who had a different way of looking at her.

Malcoma was a special friend on that list, and ever since their last meeting, she had been looking forward to seeing her again. Whether it was to go on another shopping trip or to just sit down and talk didn't matter. Her company was what she cared for the most right now.

After making her way up the driveway, Valery brought her bike to a stop and shut down its powerful engine. She threw her leg over one side to climb off and removed her helmet. Long, dark-brown locks cascaded down behind her, and with a quick sweep of her head and a hand running through, she shook out her hair and fixed it back up.

"It's good to see you again, Mal," Valery said as she walked over to the front door, dressed in black leather that hid the bruises and cuts on her body. Only a faint scratch on her right cheek lingered in visibility.

"I hope I didn't come at a busy time?"

"Was only doing a bit of decoration."

It was typical for Malcoma to respond to direct questions without a proper answer, but, in this case, it didn't sound like she was busy and wanted to be left to it. She stepped aside in the threshold, turning her body parallel to the entryway, and extended her inner arm further inside. "Come in." When the door was shut behind the Jedi Master, Mal leaned back on the wood paneling, one hand still grasping the golden flourish handle situated near the small of her back.

"I..." she began slowly, "...was not sure if you'd come back."

Even though it was not a point of discussion here, the headmistress was aware of how Operation Shadow Hand had waged just two star systems away—but only generally. She assumed that Val had gone there to fight back the Darkness, a goal she herself did not know if was realized or not, but Mal's uncertainty did not refer to war. It referred to their different walks of life. She had worried that, after returning to the Jedi Temple after their last meeting, Valery would have taken a more pragmatic look at whom she held as friends.

UA719oC.png

HAIuSyi.png

"Thank you," Valery said simply but kindly before she walked past the woman and stepped into the guesthouse. With Mal behind her, Valery spent a brief moment looking around, as if she was wondering what had changed. It hadn't been that long since her last visit, but with the war within the core, and the threat of another Sith group in the Tingel Arm, she found her mind so occupied that every moment of joy felt so far away from her.

Being here snapped her back to where her mind needed to be.

Mal's voice and the uncertainty in her words drew Valery's attention back to her. She turned on her heels, looked at the woman, and did her best to offer a reassuring smile, "You think I'd just disappear after last time?" The corners of Valery's lips tugged up further, as fond memories of their time spent together flashed through her mind. With a quick few steps, Valery brought herself closer to her dear friend and looked at her with a growing smile.

Even with their differences and how impossible it almost seemed for them to be close, Valery would never turn away from someone she cared about.

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to send a message or visit sooner. I'm sure... you have a feeling about where I've been. But I'm not going to disappear. Even a war won't keep me away from people I care about for long."

The jaded side of Mal wanted to be angry. Another selfish part of her wanted to ask how the spiritual homeworld to all Jedi fared, but she bit her tongue and held back both reactions. Instead, she let go of the door handle and covered the length of hardwood floor that still separated the two women. Her arms sought to wrap around Val's back and her own head to settle over the brunette's shoulder.

"It's good to see you too," came the late reciprocation.

Maybe it was just her imagination, but Mal could smell the odd notes of plasma particles clashed together on the Jedi's ponytail. It must have been what a sun smelled like up close: violent beauty, bittersweet being.

UA719oC.png

HAIuSyi.png

Time came to a stop when she faced the blonde directly. The fear of Mal not wanting to see or talk to her again was sending her heartbeat into overdrive. Perhaps an irrational feeling, given the depth of their friendship, but she had left without much time to explain why, nor had she been able to explain where she would be or when she'd return. It always sparked a certain fear in the hearts of people close to her who weren't there on the battlefields with her.

Had Mal been worried?

With a few steps away from the door, Malcoma gave her answer and closed the distance to pull Valery into a hug. For just a moment, she stood frozen as relief washed over her. But she wouldn't leave her dear friend hanging for too long and brought up her arms to return the hug.

"It's good to be back," Valery said with a faint, but genuine smile. She pulled back from the embrace and looked Mal in the eyes. A lot had happened while she was gone, and what was yet to come was so much worse.

She couldn't keep that pain from her eyes.

"Do you uh, want to maybe sit down and just talk? We don't have to talk about what happened if you don't want to hear, but I'd like to catch up either way."

Mal didn't step back, or even let Val pull away too far as she kept hold of the other woman's forearms. When she saw the pain in her friend's eyes, she canted her own head. "Of course..." she said gently before leading them to a nearby sofa so they could sit side-by-side.

Even still, Malcoma did not let go.

"We don't have to," she echoed, "but I much know one thing.

"I've begun to hear whispers that..." She looked over her shoulder, then up the staircase; they were alone. When Mal brought her attention back onto Val, a worry of a slightly different flavor was in her eyes. "...the Senate is going to evacuate." Mal scooted a bit closer, almost conspiratorial but definitely shaken. "Is that true, do you know?"

UA719oC.png

HAIuSyi.png

When Valery withdrew her arms from around Mal's waist, the blonde was quick to take hold of her forearms. Valery looked down, not having expected it, but turned her gaze up with a smile. A gesture that didn't quite match the look in her eyes. The usual fire that burned so brightly was dimmed now, not just because of what happened on Tython and Empress Teta, but also because of what she knew was ahead of the Jedi and Alliance as a whole.

War.

Valery followed along with Mal and slowly lowered herself onto the sofa. She appreciated that her dear friend stayed close and that she seemed so open to talking about it. Even though she had likely felt very in the dark until just now. Naturally, it meant that she had her questions as well, "It's likely going to happen. The Military is always tasked to protect this Alliance, and it means keeping alive its representatives."

"They are not safe on Coruscant. If the Dark Empire attacks — and they can now — they will be one of their primary targets."
Evacuating Coruscant was impossible with the absurd amount of people that lived across its thousands of levels. But she understood that the senators couldn't be allowed to stay.

"I know it'll spark something among the people, though. I'm sure many will not be happy with it."

It was surprising that Malcoma didn't seem to be one. Her brow furrowed somewhat, but under the weight of worry rather than anger. She slid her other hand under the one of Val's she held. "I don't blame them," she said slowly, careful even in private to hold back her emotions. "I don't blame you. I only wonder if we should follow them—the girls, Damris, me." Who all she referred to might have been clear but she said so anyway. Val had to stay; she felt as much. "The Family has various estates on Epica." Castello Matrisca was the first such place that came to her mind. It would not be large enough to house all of her Guests, but there were more properties and, even if they were not available for use, something would be worked out.

Should relocation be the headmistress' wish, Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud would certainly move mountains to make it happen. Mal found rare and profound comfort in that.

UA719oC.png

HAIuSyi.png

"If you can leave... you should." Valery's own brows furrowed as well now. The idea of telling people to leave their home wasn't one she liked. It meant there was a lack of hope for the future, and if she as a Jedi — as their defender — didn't believe in staying anymore, then how could anybody else? But it was for the best to be honest. Coruscant was right at the doorstep of the enemy now, and even if the Alliance managed to defend it, the damage would be serious.

With how big Coruscant's population is, it'd be impossible to evacuate nearly enough people as well.

"I'm going to stay behind to defend the planet, and many others will join me. But it's not safe and Coruscant is too big for everybody to just depart. So if you can, please do." Valery did not like the idea of someone she cared about staying behind and possibly getting caught in the crossfire.

This was for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom