Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dominions: Lower Acceptable Post Minimum

Gilamar Skirata said:
Like Metus said, it's easy enough for Y'ALL to do it, but even factions with "new faction hype" can't sustain 50 post dominions month after month. And the ambiguous way "activity" is held up for majors it is difficult for new factions started by veterans and new members alike to stay afloat, this forcing them into other groups which like the CIS and SJO where they are either forced to conform their arcs, stories, and characters or the faction they join becomes so loosey goosey that they lack real identity besides "we pass activity every month and get Dom's done"
Except board staff is not exactly pouncing on less active factions and hammering them with recalls. All in all, staff is quite lenient in that regard. So it's not like people have to struggle to avoid recalls by grinding through doms.

Statistically most factions that go minor don't do so because board staff took them off the map because their activity was judged to be insufficient. Most leave the map of their own volition, often (though not always) after repeated invasion losses and the burnout caused by them. Or because they realised themselves that they lack the people and the activity because they ran out of steam.

Standards are already very low as is. If a faction really can't sustain a 40-50 post dominion, then they have bigger problems and would probably be better off by not being on the map.

This ^

And you don't even need three doms, you can just do one dom a month.

One dominion, 40-50 posts and believe me I get the fatigue of doms and the struggle to meet that mark as faction staff, I do.

And for the very reason that Sio mentioned I wonder okay, can we even stay a major if we're not able to meet this bare minimum. If it helps your faction, change how you view the dom maybe don't break it into all the different objectives. Make a DM'd campaign for 50+ posts for the month? There's plenty of ways to view the dominion but your end goal is the same - it's how you and your faction get there.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
The last 4 factions to be removed from the map are the Mandalorian's, the Jen'ari, the Chiss Ascendency and the CIC. One of which left because of constant invasions, two of which left because of lack of "activity" (both of which were less than 5 months old/checks old) and the Jen'ari fell also technically to a lack of activity. Before them New Republic fell with one invasion to their name and actually failed to recall, First Order also fell to inactivity but opted to remove themselves from the map rather than be recalled. GA fell to invasions. I'm not sure your "statistics" really hold up when most of these factions fell to activity, whether or not they chose themselves to leave the map.

Also running a newer faction I can tell you that without an actual clear guideline of what "active" it is extremely easy to think as a new faction you're given leniency and not expected to complete the 3 Dom's a month but even with 3 threads started /completed or even staff isn't as lenient as someone out of the major game thinks. And with Dom's being the main/regularly acvepted glimpse into a faction's "activity" (as much as admins try to say they want to see a "variety" of threads) that's not really the case. Dom's are king on activity checks and like I said before, with two seperate Dominion related suggestion threads from members of two of the biggest majors on the board...there's something that needs changing with dominions.

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

[member="Gilamar Skirata"]

CIC was not recalled, though their activity was low. Jen'ari got repeatedly invaded and had, to put it mildly, internal issues.

Mandalorians left the map after repeated invasion losses and one invasion victory. GA and FO left the map after having successful runs for many years, but then leaving either due to invasion losses or running out of steam. At some point, every faction dies. They all have expiration dates. It makes no sense to try and keep them all alive indefinitely. So all in all, I'd say my view holds up pretty well.

In the end it's not a problem for me either way since I'm not involved in majors. But if you keep lowering standards, you'll end up not having any. And then we'll probably have another debate about invasions being toothless.

Siobhan's still right. At the end of the day yeah, doms are going to be king - maintaining that faction activity is on the faction staff, how you choose to go about that is still up to you and your faction. I've definitely seen major factions go through on less than three a month and yeah I'll probably never be privvy to how staff looks and interprets things. But, I do know that the best that can be done is to look at the situation and go - is there a way that I can improve this? How can I make this better not just for me but for my faction.

I am also not the best example but - that would typically be my line of thinking. I believe Tefka said it best, inspire the peeps and get some more stuff out on the boards.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

Honestly, the way chaos has been headed the last few years its becoming a place of lower and lower to no standards anyways. Why not have a bunch of little fiefdoms on the map? That's how it was/is in star wars canon anyways. The Hutt cartel isn't constantly gaining new systems under it's control but holds sway in some systems, the new mandalorians were unified with some few hundred systems during the clone wars to stay neutral, and even though Hapes had one of the most power navies i
Outside of the empire they never left their little cluster.

While I'm no advocate for 0 standards, chaos is already on the path of a lower bar of entry for 90% of it's content. What's another 1% when it improves the health of the site.

Bunker-level Normal

I admire this goal, but I think there's more obstacles in Chaos to realizing it than only the dominion minimums. I'd love to see more small factions that don't worry too much about the map game, and for whom dominions are a secondary objective. As has been pointed out several times already, that's not a faction that Chaos currently supports well, and I fear that lowering the requirements for dominion post counts will make that even less of a case.

On the overall proposal, I worry that lowering the dominion requirements so significantly will reduce the level of quality of those stories. Then again, others have commented that such requirements are absolutely non-correlative to quality of the stories/posts included. Perhaps what we really need to do is focus on faction activity requirements rather than dominion requirements, since the former seems to be what's driving the frustration with the latter.

Problem is not doms. Doms used to be 100 posts and a single writer could only do so much to help out as well. These doms are easy, tedious but easy. The problem is every major faction on this board and their mother are doin the same thing and thats competing /w map game expansion crap. Dominions are basically posting games with lots of fluff called story.

Reducing the post count from 50 to 25 is not a real fix. We all wanted 100 to be less now its at 50, Now we want 50 to become 25. How about factions get creative and stop doing dominions. There are other ways to show activity and pass those checks. If you want territory do dominions but you still have to think outside the box on how to make it engaging enough for others.

25 = 5 people posting 5 times. For the bigger factions, you might get in two before it’s done. I’m not quite sure I’d even feel like I was roleplaying at that point.

If we made it lower, I’d probably just remove it altogether. ...I’m not sure what that would solve, and if it would give us a graveyard of half-assery or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom