Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private For the Public Good

Aaaine

Everything, anything, for science.
Time: 1200 hours

“Dr. Aaaine?”

A soft spoken, reptilian voice broke the Chiss’ concentration on the reports in front of her long enough for her to realize there was someone else in the room with her. Starting a project like this, a system of laboratories, had left Aaaine more sleep deprived than she had been since her last few years in the university system. Reports had to be poured over, details triple checked, and funds approved and moved into their appropriate accounts. In short, it was tiring work, one that was clearly starting to take a toll on her.

Taking a second to gently place the datapad down on her desk, rubbing her eyes to attempt to bring some semblance of life to them, she then turned to regard the Rodian laboratory assistant. “Yes, Esabii?” The girl was a good assistant, had good ideas. Aaaine had picked her straight out of the graduating class on the recommendation of her professors. The girl would do great things here with the laboratory.

Esabii shifted, looking uneasy under the harsh red gaze that the Chiss held on her. “The newest volunteers for project Shepherd have arrived. I wouldn’t normally bother you with this, but the woman you asked us to keep an eye on is with this group.” A new datapad was held out to the Chiss, one she took with a grateful nod as she began to stand. It took just a few swipes to bring up the profile of the volunteer she had asked the lab techs to be on the look out for. She had approved this one personally, due to it’s…interesting nature. Gaze shifted from the datapad back up to Esabii, a small smile following.

“Thank you, my dear. Lets go and meet them together, shall we? I want you to be attending to their needs personally on my behalf while they are here.” Sweeping her way around her desk, Aaaine started down the hall and toward the small landing deck the facility used. White lights buzzed above the pair as they headed down the halls. The facility was far from finished, plenty of wings that still needed repair and upkeep. The volunteer facilities and observation rooms were, however, ready, which had been needed.

For a couple of weeks now, holomessages had been sent to many of the force user collectives throughout the galaxy with one simple goal. Gather volunteers for a project to better understand what makes them special enough to have a connection to the force. There were, of course, stipulations that would make this safer for everyone involved, stipulations she’d be more than happy to reiterate to the newest group of volunteers. The number was now six, and progress was being made.

Tapping on a datapad from her left drew Aaaine’s attention, again, just long enough for Esabii to pose a query to the woman of similar height. “What makes this particular volunteer special, Dr.? If you don’t mind the question.” A shrug, followed by the negative shake of a head came from the woman. “I never have an issue with your questions, Esabii. This particular volunteer uses their connection to the force to..overcome some of their physical disabilities. It’s quite interesting, inspiring. I’m very interested to have her here for a few days. We’ll have to make sure her stay is..comfortable.”

By the time she had finished speaking, the pair had arrived at the landing pad, and, through the passing of the doors, saw a few more of the laboratory technicians speaking to a group of volunteers who’s bags were set aside. Aaaine made her way straight to the group, prompting the techs to pause their conversations momentarily. She raised her hand, smiling as she did so. “Please, do continue with your preliminary conversations. I am here to give our welcome to the facility, the warnings that come with this volunteership, and to personally meet a few of our guests.” Motioning, she let the techs finish with their preliminary health questions before beginning.

universe entire with-you

Efret had been forwarded LCFO's call for volunteers from one of her colleagues on Coruscant who she kept in regular contact with while she was off on archeological tours. The message was a joke to them, but one that Efret intentionally decided to take seriously. Why virtually spit in the face of non-Force users when all they wanted was to prepare themselves for the possibility of an impossible fight? That sort of tragedy had gripped nearly all of the galaxy in iron before. When the Imperial Era began in 19 BBY with Order 66 and the march of Darth Vader and the 501st Legion on the Coruscant Jedi Temple, non-Force users found themselves at the mercy of a single but almost omnipotent Force user whom had been sworn to protect them.

Her fellow Jedi probably didn't want to think about it, or, if they did, thought the concern so historically removed that the idea of something similar happening again was a delusional thought experiment. Efret, however, was here as an empath, ready to give LCFO whatever information she could in hopes of doing a small part to combat the overreach, and defenselessness, with which they were concerned.

For, theoretically, she was too.

So, after a morally disturbing trip to Shuldene in the neighboring star system to see the flash-mummified remains of aquatic megafauna locked up in global sheets of sea ice, the Jedi master hopped to Vassek.

"Do you smoke, drink alcohol, or use any drugs?" the tech sitting across from her questioned.

"Only when culturally significant." Efret signed her answer while the protocol droid that had been assigned to her for translation interpreted in a male voice. The tech furrowed her brow. Seeing this, or half of it in her partial field of vision, Efret moved her hands in further explanation. Again, the droid was the humanoid that spoke. "I'm an archeologist. I participate in cultural rituals when allowed by the local populations all over the galaxy. Only some of the substances that I consume during the rituals I can identify. But I do this very rarely."

There was a gentle, judgmental sway to the tech's head as she took note. Efret paid it no mind. She was used to two things: often being the only Deaf being in a room and often encountering others who were less culturally competent and open-minded than her.

"Have you ever had major surgery?"

"No."

"Do you have any allergies?"

"Yes, bacta."

After making that note as well, the woman stood up. She made a curt head bow to Efret. "That's all. Thank you very much, Master Farr."

A genuine smile spread across the Jedi's face. "My pleasure."

Outfit + equipment; lightsaber (green blade color)

Aaaine Aaaine

Last edited:

Aaaine

Time: 1202 hours

As the lab technicians began to work through their questions with each of the new volunteers, Aaaine began to look over the new group that had so valiantly decided to volunteer for an endeavor such as this one. To come here, willingly, when knowing the base level of their research was against practically their entire existence, was something that the chiss would never disparage. Even if they didn’t know the full extent of what their research would eventually entail, to come here with the base level of knowledge was something impressive. Perhaps they wished to rid themselves of the poison that came with a connectivity to the force, or maybe they were just curious. Regardless of why they came, they did. While here, they would be treated well for their sacrifice.

Aaaine’s focus eventually settled on the volunteer that she purposely come to see. Her focus allowed her to listen in on the tail end of the questions, with Efret’s answers bringing the slightest of smiles to her face. She seemed even keeled, an interesting personality. The next few days would be trying for her, but at least while she was here Aaaine hoped to make the force user’s stay comfortable.

Once the questioning for all volunteer seemed to die down, and the lab techs turned back to the Chiss and Rodian, Aaaine cleared her voice and began to speak toward the group once more. “I hope you all understand the magnitude of what you volunteered for. Today, you step into one of the research centers on the forefront of force connectivity research. The time you dedicate and sacrifice to be here will be tough.” For a moment, she paused, dark red eyes studying each of the volunteers' faces. A twinge of nervousness, fear in some, but nothing resembling an anger or rebellion. Good. “But that said, because of the magnitude of what you take on, you will be treated as well as we can accommodate. Each of you will have a laboratory technician to attend to you. Within reason, of course.”

Another momentary pause, allowing her words to settle in, before she brought her hands together in a loud clap that had all the techs standing at attention. “You all know your assignments. Please show our guests to their quarters.” Once the other volunteers had dispersed, Aaaine and Esabii made their way up to Efret. The Chiss waved away the original tech, giving her a reassuring nod that she had done her job well. The tech departed, leaving the three beings alone on the landing pad.

“I wished to introduce myself personally, as I have been quite interest in your arrival, Ms. Farr. My name is Trea'aain'elis, or Aaaine, as I’m sure will call me.” A quick nod, then a motion forward for her Rodian companion to step forward. “And this is Esabii Minet, my personal assistant and head laboratory technician. I am assigning her to personally oversee your stay here.” The Rodian stepped forward, giving the slightest of waves, before seeming to think better of herself. Her green cheeks flushing with a new rush of embarrassment, she attempted to clear her throat and speak up for herself. “I..ah, yes. As Dr. Trea'aain'elis was kind enough to introduce me, my name is Esabii. I’m excited to attend to your stay here, Ms. Farr.”

Introductions concluded, Aaaine tuned on a heel and started toward the exit of the landing area, not seeming to care much about making sure the force user and lab tech would follow. “Come, then. We can talk business on the way to your quarters. I’m sure you have plenty of questions you’d like answers to, Ms. Farr.”

universe entire with-you

The first Ms. Farr stung more than it should have.

Efret smiled despite it, determined to not let the reaction show in her facial expressions. She should have expected, given LCFO's name among the purpose of this research project specifically, that her rank in the New Jedi Order would not be respected much. Regardless of the hospitality that Aaaine had just personally promised, Efret's guard would stay up. She did not know this organization yet to any depth and thus she held no real judgement of its purpose or people yet, but something as small as informality rubbed her slightly wrong.

Just as it was inappropriate to past judgment, it would also be inappropriate to ignore the possible implications of her observations.

When Aaaine turned on her heel and started away, speaking all the while, Efret ran to catch up and even overtook the chiss slightly. The protocol droid waddled behind. <I sorry,> Efret signed without verbal interpretation from the droid, as it could not see her. <You repeat that?> Efret's gaze slid to Aaaine's lips.

Aaaine Aaaine

Aaaine

Time: 1202 hours

The quick shuffling behind her at first didn’t concern the Chiss, but once the force user quickly over took them, signing something that she couldn’t read, Aaaine grew a bit worried. Had she done something to offend Efret? In her mind, she had been plenty clear with the expectations and the introductions had been kind enough. Perhaps there was some sort of custom or tradition that she had failed to adhere to in their first meeting that had offended the volunteer.

Efret stood, looking quite expectantly at her, which only served to confuse the Chiss more. After a moment or two of trying to figure out what was said, she looked over to the Rodian, raising an eyebrow in her direction as if asking her if she had any idea what the volunteer could possibly want. The Rodian shrugged, nodding back toward the hanger. “I don’t believe that she understood you as we were walking.” The green skinned woman turned to Efret with a smile, beginning to sign in her direction with a slow, practiced skill that spoke to while she knew what she was signing, she had very little practice. <We walk to dormitory. She sign know not. Questions, you any have?>

Aaaine watched her assistant sign toward the other woman with a curious gaze, eyebrows continued to be raised in a questioning way. A shrug followed their quick exchange, understanding this was going to be a challenge, but at least she could lean on the younger research assistant to translate when it was needed. “If that’s settled, we’ll continue our walk. Please let me know if she has any relevant questions.” Starting to walk again, Esabii turned back to Efret and waved her to continue to follow the pair. <You do ok?> She signed quickly as they walked, hoping to strike up any little conversation that they could have to make Efret feel a bit more at ease.

Last edited:
universe entire with-you

Efret's practiced smile back to Estabii was polite. Firstly, she shook her head, not because she didn't have a question but because it was not constructive. She was here to provide scientific data, not educate her hosts on Deafness etiquette. Also, she gave most people the benefit of the doubt, but believing that any harm caused by their actions was unintentional didn't mean they weren't frustrating.

Secondly, she nodded. <Yes, I fine,> she answered. <You work here how long?>

Aaaine Aaaine

Aaaine

Time: 1203 hours

A thoughtful look crossed over the Rodian’s face for a moment as she pondered just how long she had been here. After a moment, she turned back to the Jedi master and smiled, signing in her direction. <8 months now. Like it a lot here, I do.> Her smile widened as she finished her sign, showing a genuine enthusiasm for the words that came forth. She did, truly, love being here with the other like minded scientists. While the work was extremely hard, and the hours just as long, Esabii did believe they were doing good work here.

As they continued to walk, Aaaine turned over her shoulder, nodding to Esabii while nodding back toward Efret. “Could you ask them if they need any accommodations to make their stay here more comfortable? Certain foods, perhaps, that might help them relax during their non-testing time.” Whether or not the Chiss was truly trying to make Efret’s time here better or if there was another reason for her kindness, the jedi might never know, though they certainly make up their mind one way or another.

With a nod of acknowledgement back in the Chiss direction, Esabii waved up toward Efret’s face in an attempt to get her attention. Once she felt sufficiently like the other woman was able to pay attention, she began to stumble through the longer winded question. <You are here. Things to make you more…comfortable? Accommodations?>

universe entire with-you

<That good.> The Jedi smiled genuinely. <Glad for you.>

As Esabii spoke with Aaaine, Efret turned her own head to look ahead at when the group was going. Esabii's wave wasn't what got her attention back at first, but it did secondly when the flapping of Nirrah's wings caused her to begin turning her head.

<I need what?> she rephrased, trying to offer a helpful alternative, before drumming the fingers of one hand thoughtfully in the air. <Meditate cushion? You have?> It was unlikely they had anything meant for that purpose exactly, given the labs' nature, but any sort of cushion would do. Either way, though, Efret didn't really need one. She was well used to meditating on all sorts of uncomfortable floor surfaces, from duracrete to angular cobbles to hot and shifting sands, but since Esabii had asked, clearly attempting to build rapport, a cushion came to her mind.

After giving Esabii some time to respond, Efret glanced behind them, where the protocol droid was still trying in vain to catch up with them. She rose her hand, not to use the Force but simply to let it know that it could stop. It did. She looked back to Esabii and indicated Aaaine. <She walk fast always, her?>

Aaaine Aaaine

Last edited:

Aaaine

Time: 1205 hours

A bright smile peaked at the edges of the Rodians face upon hearing and seeing that there was something that could make the jedi’s time there a bit more enjoyable. That was genuinely her goal, after all. She didn’t want Efret to feel like she was trapped here or that coming in here in the first place was a massive mistake on her part. Nodding enthusiastically, she turned to look back to the chiss, once they had caught up to her, of course.

“She seemed enthusiastic to have a pillow of some sort to be able to meditate on.” Aaaine turned to look down at her assistant, giving her a curt nod while a thoughtful look crossed over her face. “We can certainly find her something like that. Perhaps we’ll even ask if she would permit us to record or watch her meditate. I would love to see if midichlorians are in any sort of hyperactivity during a jedi’s mediation.” This seemed to put Aaaine down a path of reflection and thought, as her eyes cast forward and she seemingly began to talk lightly to herself. Esabii saw this as an opportunity to continue her conversation with the jedi, dropping back to walk a bit more at her pace.

Efret’s comment had the research assistant stifling a giggle for a moment, looking from where the Chiss was clearly deep in thought but continuing to walk at a higher speed than most, and the jedi with a smile. <She hard worker. Go go go.> A shrug followed her attempt to sign an answer, hoping that her rudimentary knowledge was enough to convey meaning. <Mean well, she does. In her own mind, she gets.> She flashed another small smile to the jedi, turning to focus on the halls as their short trek was quickly coming to an end.

Sure enough, shortly after this they made it to where Efret would be spending the next few days. Aaaine turned, catching what eye contact she could get from the Jedi and spoke slow, doing what she could to empathize ever syllable. “Yo..ur..quart..ers.” If she had any more social awareness, it might feel silly, but instead she gave a satisfied nod before opening the door and ushering the trio inside.

It was a nice room, considering the turnover that stayed in it and the it’s purpose. A small bed was tucked away into the corner, with a small reading chair and table sitting perpendicular to that. On the other side of the room, a door which lead to the bathroom and changing room also sat clean and ready for use. Aaaine let Efret take in the room for a few minutes before waving lightly to catch her attention, motioning ot the space. “I hope it’s to your liking. We’ll be sure to bring you a pillow here shortly.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom