Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Duel: The Effing Short Version

Dueling is a bit like the game go: you can learn it in an afternoon, but it takes a lifetime to truly master. What I'm trying to do here is lay down the basic foundation on which you will build as you gain experience. A more complete guide can be found here.

A post in a duel consists of two parts: first, you reply to your opponent's move, and then you make your own.

To reply to your opponent, you must consider a few things. Firstly, how are they attacking you? Are they shooting, slicing, stabbing, or slinging Force powers? Once you've determined how they're attacking, you devise a counter. If they're trying to slice you in half, you'll want to dodge or block. If they're shooting at you, you'll want to figure out how to either throw off their aim or block the shot. Force powers will be neutralized. There's no real right way to do any of that, so long as it works.

Keep in mind that your opponent might also leave themselves open to a post cut. If they try to get too fancy with their attack, you might find an opening where you can insert a counter of your own, negating all or part of their move. I really would recommend reading the full guide on post cut etiquette, because it is frighteningly easy to get it wrong and start an argument.

Once you've countered their move, it's time to make your own. Take into account your relative positions, what weaponry and armor they have, what weaponry and armor you have, and how you can best attack them. You would do well to try to envision how they might counter your attack as well. If you do things right, you can push them off balance and take control of the pace of the fight.

On the surface level, it really is that simple. In practice, it's a lot more complicated. There are a few things to keep in mind.
  • Ideally, the in character length of your post should be no more than three to five seconds in length. Any longer and you leave yourself open to a post cut.
  • Keep it simple. Trying to chain together moves or get overly elaborate is just asking for a post cut, and that's a good way to lose a fight.
  • Be as detailed as possible. You'll want to leave as little open to interpretation as possible. Make plain exactly where you're standing in relation to them, how you're countering, how you're attacking, so on and so forth. Though the move itself may be simple, you'll want to provide as much data on it as possible. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to write a novel with each post. A few sentences can convey a lot of information if you do it right. This is a skill that will come with practice.
  • Do not call hits. You cannot dictate how your opponent gets hit. You do not say "I slashed Joe in the face." Instead, you say "I tried to slash Joe in the face." It may seem like a minor difference, but calling a hit is a huge no no.
  • Ask questions. If you're not sure about a move, reach out to a more experience duelist. There are plenty out there who would be happy to discuss your situation and give you advice. At some point you'll need to stand on your own two feet, but there's no harm in getting an extra set of eyes on a situation.

So there you have it, folks. This is a quick, down and dirty guide, but it should be enough to get you started. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here, or shoot me a PM. Thanks for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom