Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private I Don't Think The System Works

FRESIA

art-deco-inspired-ballroom-from-1920s-with-elegant-dancers-resplendent_31965-319093.jpg

| Senator Kiles Inaugural Ball | Fresia |

Fresia, a world highly embedded with coporate structure. Incom had their claws sunk deep on the government and planet life, influencing much of the culture. So it wasn't a surprise when Makai found himself invited to the inaugural ball of one Senator Magant Kiles Magant Kiles . A little research showed she was a soldier turned Senator, which wasn't surprising in itself. Apparently she was a patriot, fiercely proud of her homeworld and her people. Beyond that, he didn't know much.

Either way, he was using the visit to do a bit of business as well. On the agricultural circuit, Makai was looking to expand Aina Holdings into agricultural territory ; finally. Busy balancing the needs of two separate companies, his own had a slow start. If he could get a location along every planet on the circuit, then it would be off to a good start in the Core Region. Not an ideal situation considering war and strife was breathing down the necks of the area, but he prided himself on being a neutral entity. Everyone needed produce and various foodstuffs, although such operations were targets for invading forces.

A bridge to cross if it ever came his way.

For tonight he was busy rubbing elbows with many of the locals and fellow corporate types. A little networking. A little drinking. A little talk of graviball. There was no set agenda for himself, more getting comfortable with the Agricultural Circuit and its people.

This all felt wrong to Magant. This wasn't meant to be something that was celebrated in her eyes. Her father was ailing in his health and she had to take over now because of that. She already knew that battling with her words was going to be far more difficult than fighting in a war. In a way, she was still doing that, but now she was far more..."valuable" alive. As much as she had issues with the decision, she'd never verbally speak them. It was better that the pressure goes on her shoulders, as opposed to her siblings.

Now it was time for her to represent herself and her family at this gala, as she was brought down towards the hall for the Gala. Having to fight her embarrassment at the concept of being in a dress in front of so many strangers. She'd much rather be facing artillery than this meeting but it was what she had to do. She gave a short wave on her way down the stairs, giving a thin lipped smile all the way down before she eventually joined the crowd of people and went around shaking their hands.

"Yes. Yes. Hello. It is lovely to have you here. Please, relax. Sit back. Speak amongst yourselves."

Magant kept a smile on her face as she spoke to some of the participants, pointing some of those she recongised in the direction of people she thought would be useful for them. The new Senator had tried to do as much research as she could on the people taking part, but there was something...mind-numbing reading about the different corporate groups, their represenatives, what they were known for.

She was so distracted by her own thoughts that Magant tripped over the leg of someone and stumbled, reaching her hands out to steady herself by grabbing onto a stranger, a certain Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell before standing up straight and brushing her dress off with a frown.

"Oh. My apologises. I'm...not used to walking around like this."

Having just finished a conversation about the issues surrounding the war and business on Empress Teta, Makai was taking a moment to regroup and sip on some rather top-shelf whiskey.

One bonus about these types of things ; the alcohol was always top shelf. Often worth the attendance within itself.

Suddenly, a woman tripped, using him as leverage to keep from falling face first on the floor. Free hand quickly took hold of the woman's upper arm in an attempt to help stabilize her. She seemed to do fine on her own, but he wanted to ensure she was truly fine before letting go.

Hands were smoothing out her dress and he let go, the woman looking as if she was firmly on her on two feet once again.

"Are you alright Miss? Can I get you something?"

It wasn't until he really took in the woman's features did he noticed it was Senator Magant Kiles Magant Kiles .

"Senator, I didn't realize it was you, my apologies. Congratulations on the election. I'm sure you will do great by your people, this planet, and sector."

"I am fine. I've had worse falls. I assure you Sir."

She tried her best not to grumble. A moody and grumpy Senator wouldn't be looked upon highly after all. She also made no comment about being grabbed by the shoulder. Magant knew the man had simply wanted to help her. So as much as it slightly ruffled her feathers, she wasn't going to complain. Verbally that is.
"Senator, I didn't realize it was you, my apologies. Congratulations on the election. I'm sure you will do great by your people, this planet, and sector."

"Part of me wonders if that is true. Will I truly make a bigger impact in the Senate, than I will out in the field?"

The fact that her home was somewhat close to the Frontlines wasn't lost on the woman. The idea of having to stay away from the battles and warzones went against her own wishes but she had to think about more than just herself now. She'd worry about the planet, whilst her siblings were there to worry about the business aspect of things.

"Sorry. I feel like I'm on the...less fortunate side of this conversation. You quite clearly know who I am, but I am at a loss with your identity, Sir?"

She tilted her head to the side, expecting some kind of answer from the man ahead of her. It was the most time she spent talking to anyone at the Gala so far, but she felt like he at least deserved some of her attention, considering the fact she nearly fell onto him.

"I am unsure what one soldier can do. Sure, in a position of power, you can direct and make strategic plays,direct the troops at your whim. Now as a Senator, perhaps you can attack laws and decisions in much of the same manner. It is very difficult to find someone who cares about their people, much less their planet. Most are just looking to increase their own power....so, even on a smaller scale for your people, yes, I feel you can make an impact."

Perhaps a bit of a long-winded answer but it was true. There was only so much one lone soldier could achieve. There was only so much one could do as a Senator as well. Yet he could see a more varied impact than picking up a blaster and hitting the front lines. Something Senator Magant Kiles Magant Kiles would come to learn and appreciate in time.

Hand outstretched in greeting.

"Makai Dashiell, a pleasure. I'll be expanding my company in the Agricultural Circuit, so just getting my feet wet and exploring the region. I'm sure we will meet again in the future."

"Yes, but now a small slip of my tongue, and it could cause a catastrophic impact on my people. And now the pressure is in my shoulders to keep my home safe, when it's near the frontlines. To keep my siblings safe. It was much easier when I just had to keep my troops alive. It was...less personal. They had signed up for it. They knew what they'd be facing...but the regular people? They have not."

As much as it pained her to say that, it was true. Her eyes darting around the Gala for a moment, taking in the sight of everyone here. Magant's family was her flesh and blood. The men she fought with were just...blood. Not even shared. They had just all shed blood for each other, which is why it pained her not to consider them true family. Everytime she went out with them, she was willing and ready to accept any casualities...but when it came to her siblings? That was one sacrifice she would never be willing to make. She valued her soldiers. Her people. And her family. In that order specifically, from least to most.

Magant wrapped her gloved hand around Makai's, giving him a firm handshake alongside a nod. This would be the right time to smile right?...Well, she didn't really do smiling.

"It is a pleasure. If you want any specific conversations about the Incom Corporation, it might be best to ask my younger sister. She's...currently indisposed however."

She decided to leave out the part where her sister was indisposed, since Magant had told her and their brother to pack, just in case they ever had to leave in an emergency. Where they would go, she wasn't sure, but it was best to always be prepared. Have a bug out plan and everything.

Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell

"You get used to having to hold your tongue during these types of things. My advice? Find a trusted friend you can make small talk with and vent there. It's typically what I do."

A small pause, looking out at the fully in swing gala as they spoke. Senator Magant Kiles Magant Kiles definitely had a lot of hands to shake and names to learn this evening.

"As for the others...do right by your people and the rest will fall into place. It's what I do. I think your citizens are smart enough to know when a morally driven politician is doing the best they can and when a corrupt despot is ruining things."

Incom, now there was an interesting development. Apparently the younger sister had something to do with the infamous company? Makai found it interesting that a Senator from such a prominent family, the first born it seemed, was such an active soldier before this.

Odd.

"Another time then. As I mentioned, I will be in the system and sector long term so I assume your sister and I will cross paths eventually."

Last edited:
Magant blinked at that. Friends...Frieeeends. The word felt foreign to her. Of course she knew what friends were, but she never quite...afforded herself the chance to make any. Everyone to her were associates. Or strangers. The only people who she'd class as more than that were her own family. A small frown coming to her face at that thought before dismissing it as quickly as it came.

"I...Yes. Find a trusted friend. That is an excellent idea."

Not that she'd actually try to do that. It was better to bottle it up inside. Maybe she could find a training room or somewhere on Coruscant where she could get her frustrations out through punching...Yes. That was a good idea actually. She'd make sure to have a mental note of that before turning her attention back towards Makai, frowning in thought for a moment.

"Yes. You're right...Now, I should be getting around to talking to other people in the Gala, but I'd like to come back to you once I've shook a few hands."

The Gala was going to last for a while anyway, so there was no issue with her wandering around a bit more. She just had to be careful of the time and make sure that she would have coincidentally left before any...dances may have happened.

Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell

"Of course Senator. I've taken up too much of your time."

A slight bow of his head as they parted ways. Galas such as these tended to last well into the evening, as he had learned the hard way as a young boy, begging to go with his father. Get too many corporate types together, let the alcohol flow, and watch mayhem happen. It was always amusing to people watch at such a events. Now he had to move around and make introductions and be a presence, even if it wasn't his event. Galas and corporate expos were always great networking opportunities.

So that's what he did. A bit of small talk eating some type of crab on a crusty piece of toast, some more alcohol, a few more appetizers. Then it was time on the balcony with the old guys, puffing on cigars. They reminded him of his father, slinking out into the open area to smoke and talk and comment on the state of the galaxy. There was always a pearl of wisdom or two out there, if one could get through the lectures in-between.

A careful bowing out of the conversation and back inside where the dancing had started. It was at the point in the evening where alcohol was providing enough social lubrication to get things moving. Plus, it was typical protocol for an event such as a Gala celebrating a new Senator. Makai had found a willing participant in a spry elderly woman, needing to test out his dance skills before his own wedding. Lessons had been...annoying, to say the least, and wanted to see if the progress was paying off.

Everything went off without a hitch, not stepping on the eldery womans corn-riddled feet, nor leading her too far astray on the dance floor. Next would be testing his skills on someone younger. Walking along the edge of the dance floor, he spotted someone seemingly trying to make herself smaller, as if not wanting to hit the floor.

Perfect.

Makai deliberately made his way over. Hand was offered to the woman in the purple dress.

"May I have the pleasure of this dance, Senator Magant Kiles Magant Kiles ?"

With that, Magant made her way back into the crowd to start shaking hands and taking names. Treating this as just a typical mission. Just less death and blasters and more...mind numbingness. It was clear to her that some people were taking this as an excuse to get drunk or just enjoy the Gala. It made sense, some people needed something to brighten their life up. Magant was not one of those however. She was perfectly happy in the more gloomy part of life. Mostly because to her, gloom was the default look of the Galaxy. Sunshine, rainbows and all that were temporary. But everywhere you looked, there was always going to be some form of darkness...Sheesh, she was getting too gloomy, even for herself.

She slowly start to make her way to the side, letting her mind wander. There were plenty of things she still had to plan. Where her siblings would be going once she left. There was no way she'd be able to get her parents to Fresia so she'd need to try and get extra security for them as well...What was she going to bring with her to Coruscant? Self defense makes sense...Her old weapon? Her old armour? Possibly? Neither of them would instil much hope or faith into the people...until she actually needed it. So maybe she could keep it in storage with her...

The new Senator was so occupied to her thought, she hadn't even realised the dancing was starting up until she heard the slightly familiar voice, letting out a yelp of surprise as she looked up to Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell

"I...Blast it. I was meant to have snuck away before the dancing started...Fine. Fine. I'll tell you here and now though. Don't complain if I step on your feet. The only dancing I'm used to, is the one where my fist goes to someone's face."

An attempt at humour. Was it going to work? She wasn't sure. But she might as well try to be at least a litlte bit upbeat right now, right?

"It wouldn't be the first time a Dashiell man was knocked cold at a Gala. I'll take my chances."

There was the Naboo Gala where he father had been clocked cold by one Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble . The dumbass Jedi had mistaken his father for someone else, apparently some Jedi that was named Judah. Didn't these idiot Jedi have the ability to 'sense' one another? In the recorded history of Dashiells, none of them were Force sensitive, so it wasn't as if there could be a mix up there. It placed a still sour taste in his mouth regarding Jedi. No better than the Sith now in his eyes.

"I've been taking lessons. Sporadic ones at that, but trying to learn all the same. Think of any attempt of dancing on your part as merely helping my education at this point."

Stepping on feet. Trying to lead. Just as confused as him. Didn't matter, it still gave him a chance to put the skills to the test. His education was being done on the sly, intent on surprising Myra Elspeth Arceneau Myra Elspeth Arceneau , so it wasn't as if he could practice with her or while she was around either. Half of his education was learning to take the lead and guide his partner through the motions. Senator Magant Kiles Magant Kiles was perfect for that because she didn't like to dance and didn't know much of the moves, if he was guessing correctly.

Plus, if she still punched him still an far better dancing partner than the current blonde bastard he was forced to practice with.

Makai lead her out to the dancing space, taking position to lead. While Casteel Mer'taal Casteel Mer'taal berated him during his dances, he was now mindful that small talk was on the table. A silent dance would be awkward. Last dance with the elderly woman she had taken over the conversation, allowing him to just interject with 'hmms' and 'is that so?".

"Hows the greeting going? I'm sure the lobbyists have found you already."

Last edited:
"So the Dashiell men have a habit of getting knocked out. I suppose I should keep note of that."

Magant broke out into a rare smirk at that. If that was meant to help reassure her...Well, that wasn't going to the best case whatsoever. If anything it made her more paranoid.

"I am unsure how much of a learning experience I will be. You'd have better luck dancing with a Gamorrean"

That was practically what she felt like right now anyway. A Gamorrean, dressed up all fancy for something they didn't fit into. No. No. She just had to see this as another battle. For now, she was just going to follow Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell 's steps as carefully as she could. She was a bit more...flat footed than a dancer would be, stomping her feet all over the place, but she was trying to keep herself aware enough now to stomp on her dance partner's feet.

"A nightmare. Part of me feels like it's a nest of vipers. People will say anything to get me to look their direction and potentially agree with them."

Or perhaps she was just choosing to see the worst in people. She wasn't naive to the fact that Magant didn't trust most people. Choosing to see the worst in people just meant they couldn't blindside you when they choose to show you their true colours. There was a part of her that was expecting Makai to start saying something that would prove her right. Not that she'd hold it against him.

"Have you...met anyone interesting at this Gala?"

"Its only happened once. Long story. "

Awkward as they both may be, the lack of skill on Senator Magant Kiles Magant Kiles part was helping him. First off, she easily followed his lead and trusted his steps. Second, she didn't know a thing so if he missed a step or did something out of order, there was no issues to be had. A more skilled partner would have surely caught his unease and lack of coordination.

"You are dancing just fine. Have a little confidence. As for navigating the lobbyists and those who want to grease the wheels of progress as it could be phrased, draw your line in the sand early. I think you know that though. Seems like you have a good head on your shoulders. Pretty useful in soldier life and politics I would assume."

Dance was drawing to a close, they were about half-way through if he had to estimate. So far, so good. He hadn't stepped on her feet or fallen over her by tripping or general clumsiness.

"Anyone interesting? Ran into some people I know. Such is to be expected when you've been going to these things since the age of four or so. I see there was a bunch of political types but outside of yourself we didn't have any real conversations. Makes sense, I'm not here to influence governments."

A turn, mentally timing his steps instead of counting them at this point. Another small improvement.

"How about yourself? I'm sure you ran into someone interesting. Especially if this is your first time,there's always a character or three floating around these things. Better yet, wait til you still hearing all the gossip and stories, you'll never need a holovision ever again."

"I have the time. All I have to do after the gala that's important is prepare to head to Coruscant."

She carried on copying Makai's steps as carefully as she could. She had been lucky enough to have left to join the Military just before she had to have dance lessons...Of course, she was decent enough at copying people's movements though. Back. Forward. Twist. If she knew more about dancing, she might have pointed out a few missteps, mostly to try and tease Makai but instead she stayed quiet, her eyes focusing on the movement instead.

"Depends on your view of useful. A good head on my shoulders is useful to me. Yes. Not as useful to the people who want to try and use me. I can be...surprisingly stubborn. But I feel like that statement wouldn't surprise you."

The dance was going well enough so far. Though of course that might be because Magant was watching Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell 's feet like a hawk, to make sure she wasn't too close to stepping on his feet. She was used to breaking things, but she'd rather not break someone's foot at her Gala. That would be pretty hard to explain.

"...You know how it is. People trying to argue for improving trade, but it seems more like they only care about getting more credits in their own purse. You'd think they'd use their income to pay for lessons on how to be less vile creatures but...I suppose that is easier said than done...Also...I erh...I never watched Holovisions."

If that was an attempt at sarcasm...Well, it flew straight over Magant's head.

"A good head on your shoulders and stubbornness seems like a great combination to get things done. Plenty useful." A small pause. "As for increasing their own credits....I don't think that is a job of a Senator or official. A business owner like myself? Of course. This is why I never mix politics and business, got to stay a neutral party."

A final twist and turn, the song coming to an end and he carefully released Senator Magant Kiles Magant Kiles . He gave a small half-bow in thanks for the dance, plus it seemed appropriate for someone in her high of a position. He was aware not to take up too much more of her time. Politics wasn't his thing but business was, and the fact she came from a business-minded family was of interest to himself. Connections always needed to be kept and maintained.

"My fiancee and I would love to have you and your family over for dinner sometime. Or we can meet here on Fresia. Its important to establish connections in the corporate world that isn't all focused on credits and power plays. It can get exhausting talking shop all the time, but as you well know the business or politics never take a day off."

"People should stay neutral yes. But you always get people who think its one law for them, and another law for other people. If they think I'll ever agree with them...Well. They're sorely mistaken there. Everyone should be held under the same standards as each other. No special treatment for anyone, no matter their actions."

Well. That was a lie. Magant would always give special treatment to towards her family...but still. She shook her head once the dance had finished, giving Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell a short bow afterwards. She might as well thank him for all of the work he put into dancing. Even if well...she didn't know if it was good or not. Neither of their feet got stomped on, so it was successful, right? Though Magant blinked at the idea of having dinner with Makai and his family.

"I can...see who I can bring along. My father's too ill to leave the house for now, so that counts my mother out as well. My brother and sister are likely to calm around. Just...be careful about my sister. She's a bit eccentric. Not great with people. Better with technology and droids."

It seemed Senator Magant Kiles Magant Kiles was worried about an 'eccentric' sister. He was fairly certain he had her beat on that front in terms of family relations and big personalities. If the sister was at Incom then he expected some eccentric tendencies. After all, if left to his own devices, he would be talking about a topic such as metamorphic rocks and their purpose in the formation in mountain chains and how it all related to mining and industry. Not exactly a broad party topic such as local politics or say celebrity fashion.

"I have a sister obsessed with fashion and another who records statistics. Trust me, I've seen it all, so I doubt it will come as a surprise. Perhaps we can share some notes on some droids I've been working on for the business. Either way, the meeting will be unable to take place for a little while, my schedule is jam packed. I'll have our assistants get in touch. Until then, Senator."

Another short bow as he intended to let the new Senator head back to her people. After all, Makai surmised she still had a lot of hands to shake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom