Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ijaa Personal Shield Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image Source: N/A

Intent: To create a personal shield generator that facilitates melee combat in a galaxy dominated by ranged weapons.

Development Thread: N/A

Technical Details

Manufacturer: Mandalorian Clans
Model: Ijaa Personal Shield Generator
Affiliation: Mandalorian Clans, Clan Oda
Modularity: No
Production: Minor
Material: Mandalorian steel, shield generator components.

Strengths:
  • Outstanding protection against ranged weapons.
Weaknesses:
  • Prevents the use of ranged weapons.
  • Doesn't stop most thrown weapons.
  • Useless against melee weapons (including lightsabers).

Description

Unlike the vast majority of personal shield generators on the market today, which focus on preventing any and all harm to the user while simultaneously allowing their attacks to pass, Kano created the Ijaa (or honor) class generator with a very singular purpose in mind. His goal was to create a shield that would protect the swordsmen of his clan from attacks carried out at range, while simultaneously allowing them to engage their opponents with whatever melee weaponry suited them best.

He was able to achieve this capability by altering the coherence of more conventional shields to allow slow moving attacks to pass the shield unhindered, while those of considerable velocity would be halted as normal. This includes attacks from blasters (and blaster-type weapons), sonic weapons, slugthrowers, electrical weapons, ionic and EMP weapons, and even explosions. The primary ranged exception to this protection is thrown weapons, as most are hurled at speeds low enough to avoid triggering the shield and can therefore pass unhindered.

Upon achieving the desired effect, his next task was to improve the efficiency and overall power of the shield. By using the energy absorbed from the attacks that strike it, in a manner similar to that of molecular shielding, and returning a portion of that energy to the cells that power it, the shield is able to maintain itself functionally indefinitely against most handheld weapons-fire, though is still vulnerable to massed attacks. It is even capable of countering blaster cannon rounds, though anything larger will overload the system in short order and punch through to strike the being beneath.

Unfortunately, in order to achieve this exceptional protection from high-velocity attacks, Kano was forced to render the shield impermeable from both the inside and the outside, meaning that any use of a ranged weapon by the wearer will result in the projectile simply being stopped by the shield before going anywhere, likely damaging the weapon that fired it. As the shield is designed to follow the contours of the user and whatever they carry, simply extending the barrel beyond the shield's limits is not an effective counter to this drawback (in fact, it is not even possible).

Physically, the unit is constructed of mandalorian steel and can be mounted on the belt, or built into a warrior's armor.

Primary Source: N/A

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Kano Oda said:
By using the energy absorbed from the attacks that strike it, in a manner similar to that of molecular shielding.

Molecular shielding, and other similar technology, typically needs development for use in submissions. I would estimate that at Minor production that we're talking around 15-20 posts.

Kano Oda said:
the shield is able to maintain itself functionally indefinitely against most handheld weapons-fire.

While I think that's possible to make a heavy duty personal energy shield that lasts a longtime, I'm not sure if I would use the word "indefinitely". I'd also consider rephrasing "most handheld weapons-fire" to something more situation specific. For example, I think it's reasonably for this shield to hold up pretty well against a standard blaster. It may not be reasonable for this to stand up against dozens of blasters rifles firing at it simultaneously.

While we're on the subject of blasters, I should point out that molecular shielding also is only effective against blasters and other energy weapons. You may want to consider adding in different shield types to deal with things like slugthrowers, explosives, sonic weapons, and the like.

Molecular shielding was only used as a canon example of tech that does something similar, and isn't what this shield is actually based on. It's more a standard personal shield modified to stop any attack that exceeds a certain velocity threshold. It also has a significant drawback that a molecular shield does not, that being the fact that the user is restricted solely to melee and thrown weaponry, and is also unprotected from the same.

I'm also happy to add in a statement that massed handheld weapons fire has the possibility of overwhelming the shield, as that isn't much different from a single really powerful weapon.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Kano Oda said:
I'm also happy to add in a statement that massed handheld weapons fire has the possibility of overwhelming the shield, as that isn't much different from a single really powerful weapon.

Awesome. Please do so.

Kano Oda said:
Molecular shielding was only used as a canon example of tech that does something similar, and isn't what this shield is actually based on.
The effect of using an enemy's weapons to charge your shields is going to require development.

I'm not against the concept that you've described, but there are some areas of this that may need to be fleshed out then.

For example, how does this shield interact with projectile weapons? Does it absorb their energy to power up the shields? Or does it work just like basic particle shields?

Kano Oda said:
It's more a standard personal shield modified to stop any attack that exceeds a certain velocity threshold.
I don't have an issue with this part; that's something that is thought to exist on capital grade particle shields.

Kano Oda said:
It also has a significant drawback that a molecular shield does not, that being the fact that the user is restricted solely to melee and thrown weaponry, and is also unprotected from the same.
Particle shields (the standard star wars tech for blocking physical attacks) also blocks outgoing projectiles, so that's pretty much a given. If you're talking about a shield that blocks outgoing blaster and other weapons as well, I can see this trait lowering development to 10 posts.

It blocks all high-velocity attacks, including those from blasters and sonic weapons. Even force lightning, if the user happens to try that with it activated.

Regarding physical projectiles, it would indeed absorb a portion of their kinetic energy as well (though regardless of projectile type, it can't absorb it all). Instead of pushing all that energy into heat sinks like a normal deflector shield, it siphons some into the power cell in order to keep it charged. This also means that rather than being deflected, the slugs wil impact on the shield like they would a physical barrier and stop dead. Since not all the slug's energy would be absorbed, this also means that some impact will be felt, even if no actual damage is done to the user.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Kano Oda said:
It blocks all high-velocity attacks, including those from blasters and sonic weapons. Even force lightning, if the user happens to try that with it activated.

Regarding physical projectiles, it would indeed absorb a portion of their kinetic energy as well (though regardless of projectile type, it can't absorb it all). Instead of pushing all that energy into heat sinks like a normal deflector shield, it siphons some into the power cell in order to keep it charged. This also means that rather than being deflected, the slugs wil impact on the shield like they would a physical barrier and stop dead. Since not all the slug's energy would be absorbed, this also means that some impact will be felt, even if no actual damage is done to the user.

[member="Gir Quee"]

As far as I know, there are no examples of star wars shielding technology that can rechannel the energy of kinetic weapons into one's own shield generator. If you know of an example, please educate me. Otherwise, because this is a new and potentially game-changing effect, I think that we are looking at more development (back to roughly 20 posts for the whole submission).

Kano Oda said:
the shield is able to maintain itself functionally indefinitely against most handheld weapons-fire
As a reminder, while this may have a higher than normal endurance for a personal energy shield, it will not be approved with an endurance that is "functionally indefinitely". From an IC standpoint, not only do personal shields require a lot of energy to work, but they also build up a lot of heat which could damage or destroy the machine and can potentially harm the user (see here). From an OOC standpoint, we generally don't approve things that may be construed as granting broad immunity to damage "indefinitely".

I realize that this interpretation may not be your original intent behind that wording, but I would like to see this clarified so that other potential users do not interpret it that way, which could see this sub being retroactively denied later on.

To clarify, does this shield protect against any other damage types besides energy (blaster, force lightning, etc) and kinetic attacks (slugthrowers, etc), such sonic or ionic?

EDIT: I see that you edited your post while I was writing my own. Please list all damage types that this shield protects against.

I've edited the description to include damage types, though I'm unsure what phrasing to replace "functionally indefinitely" with.

My intent with that phrasing is simply to indicate that short of an overwhelming barrage of fire or attack by a laser cannon, it's very unlikely that the shield will be compromised over the course of a normal firefight. The reason being that a significant portion of the energy normally sent to heat-sinks is instead routed back to the power cell, making overheating less of an issue than it would be with a standard shield unit. I'm also hesitant to put hard numbers on how long it will last under fire before actually overheating, given the sheer number of variables that would affect that delay and the fact that IC time can't actually be accurately measured in a text-based environment.

So, given that information, is there any particular alternative phrasing you would suggest?

As for absorbing kinetic energy, I can do 20 posts if that's what you require.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Kano Oda said:
I've edited the description to include damage types, though I'm unsure what phrasing to replace "functionally indefinitely" with.

My intent with that phrasing is simply to indicate that short of an overwhelming barrage of fire or attack by a laser cannon, it's very unlikely that the shield will be compromised over the course of a normal firefight. The reason being that a significant portion of the energy normally sent to heat-sinks is instead routed back to the power cell, making overheating less of an issue than it would be with a standard shield unit. I'm also hesitant to put hard numbers on how long it will last under fire before actually overheating, given the sheer number of variables that would affect that delay and the fact that IC time can't actually be accurately measured in a text-based environment.

I can understand you not wanting to use direct numbers for weapons hits, nor would I be inclined to make you list them out in those terms. What I do want is wording that makes the user clearly not invulnerable to hand-held weapons fire over an entire engagement. I would probably borrow some phrasing from this submission, using words like "a great number of blaster shots" or "prolonged fire".

But this isn't a matter of solely being able to withstand enemy fire.

Canonically, personal energy shields are only activated for brief periods of time because their power draw is so immense. In other words, this isn't something that is typically left on indefinitely during a fight. While absorbing energy from enemy weapons may help with this power draw, if the shields are not getting hit, they will run out of power pretty quickly.

Kano Oda said:
This includes attacks from blasters (and blaster-type weapons), sonic weapons, slugthrowers, electrical weapons, ionic and EMP weapons, and even explosions.
This is really a lot of different damage types. The closest canonical equivalent that I know is the Arkanian energy shield, but it doesn't protect against even half of these damage types.

I will need to think about this more and talk to the other factory judges to see if this can be approved, especially if it is absorbing these various types of attack to power it. If it can be approved though, it will be after very extensive development and a reduction in production level.
Canonically, personal energy shields are only activated for brief periods of time because their power draw is so immense. In other words, this isn't something that is typically left on indefinitely during a fight. While absorbing energy from enemy weapons may help with this power draw, if the shields are not getting hit, they will run out of power pretty quickly.

In this particular case, it's not just protection from those damage types, it's an inability to utilize them yourself while you're being protected, which mean the shield grants your enemy the exact same protection it gives you. But I understand your concern and will wait to hear back from you.

[member="Gir Quee"]

[member="Kano Oda"], I've got two options for you:

1) Change production to Semi-Unique (Player characters of Clan Oda) with 30-40 posts.

2) Change production to Limited (PCs and NPCs of Clan Oda) 60-70 posts.

Alright. Go ahead and archive this while I work on the development (assuming that's what normally happens while working on dev threads).

[member="Gir Quee"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom