Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private In Perpetuity

The Palace of Alvaria seemed caught between three different states, depending on which room you were in. An ancient construct dating from a period of wealthy imperialism, many areas still had an aging regality and bygone extravagance to them. Others were fully modernized, outfitted with the latest styles and gadgets, young and minimalist rather than old-fashioned and excessive. Then there were the rooms caught in transition, still under construction, as if the architect had not yet decided what they would be.

Marcus wandered the Palace, having been given free rein by Darth Malum for the duration of his visit. There was much to explore, though he didn’t find it as impressive as others might. He was used to majestic mansions and castles by now—he’d lived in them for most of his life.

What he was really hoping for was to find someone or something to occupy his time. His visions guided him through the halls and corridors, seeking stimulating company or perhaps an unexpected misadventure. Anything to break up his boredom…

Marcus Dinn Marcus Dinn

Revna enjoyed exploring Lord Marr’s palace, wandering the many halls and rooms that were in various states of ruin, re-construction, or completion. Though she had served as a slave in a couple different noble’s estates, she’d never been in a palace like this.

Well, that wasn’t exactly true. She’d been in the Golden Palace some time ago for the Life Day Gala event, and that had been her first time seeing such extravagance and being around royalty and Sith of notable rank. At the time, she’d been just a former slave who was newly freed, a student under Darth Strosius…still quite fresh in her journey as a Sith acolyte.

So much had happened since that time, since she had danced with the Sith Empress herself. So much training, so much learning, so much bloodshed and violence and war…and she had discovered on her first visitation to Darth Malum to learn the finer arts of noble etiquette that she was not a Sharr, as she had been led to believe by her now deceased mother.

Turned out she was a Marr by blood. And Darth Malum, King of Alvaria, the leader of the Tsis’Kaar, battle-brother to her own Sith Mentor…was actually her relative - a cousin of hers. And because she was a Marr by birth, by blood…she was given access to the homeworld of the Marr family. She could come and go as she pleased, and she did…especially to see her newly discovered family.

And thus was the reason behind why she found herself traversing the many halls in Lord Marr’s palace. Truthfully, she liked to take a tome or a datacron, and go find a quiet place where she could study or read in peace. And sometimes she went to practice her various Force abilities and skills in private. On this particular outing she had been doing her readings into Sith history, a tome she'd procured from her Sith Mentor to read while she was away from her home base on Formos. She knew he would question her on the material he'd given her to read, and she wasn't one to shirk her studies. Lost in her thoughts and not paying attention, she turned a corner and brought herself to a quick halt, narrowly avoiding colliding with someone whom she had never seen before, the tome clutched against her chest.

Oh, chit!” Revna blurted, startled by his sudden appearance, her cheeks turning red as she beheld who she had almost walked right into. Like everyone else she knew, he was taller than her. Much taller. Revna took a small step backwards, not in fear, but to give them both some personal space, and she studied him briefly. Ginger hair, green eyes, freckled pale skin…and a facial expression that screamed of boredom.

Forgive me, sir. I wasn’t watching where I was going.” Revna said respectfully; she didn’t know who this was…best to have some manners, she thought.

Marcus saw her coming, his visions foretelling that a figure would soon turn the corner. He could’ve moved out of the way, but since he was hoping to run into someone of interest, he decided to stay in her path and “force” a chance encounter.

Oh, chit!

He regarded the cursing young woman lazily, red lashes lowered and lips curled in a knowing smirk as she sputtered an apology. “No problem,” he said. His gaze flicked down to the book in her hand. “What are you reading? Must be pretty interesting if you’ve lost all awareness of the world around you.

Marcus Dinn Marcus Dinn

Revna composed herself and stood straight as she regarded the man before her, the red flush of embarrassment fading from her cheeks a bit. He didn't seem too fazed by their near collision, and she relaxed a bit.

She noticed his gaze look at the tome in the crook of her arm.

"Sith history. Required reading from my ...Mentor. Some parts can be boring but others are rather intriguing. I've enjoyed reading about the different Sith Lords from the past; one can learn from their successes and failures."

The little Acolyte looked at the man and her eyes narrowed in curiosity.

"What brings you here? To wander the halls of Lord Marr? You look bored."

It is quintessential reading for every aspiring Sith,” Marcus agreed, after seeing the title on the cover. It was one of those instantly recognizable texts, which meant he had already read it cover to cover multiple times. A pity—he had been hoping for something more unusual. She might not be ready for the esoteric.

It seemed he would have to be the more interesting one in this encounter, if they were going to hold each other's attention.

Is Darth Malum your mentor?” he asked. “I know he’s not your master. No, you are apprenticed to Darth Strosius, who in my parents’ time was called Alisteri Haxim. Did you know that when he was a young man, he fell in love with a beautiful and sharp-toothed noblewoman? A vampiress. With his approval, she bit him, turning him into the creature he is now.

As he spoke, he circled around her, arms clasped behind his back, his smirk broadening into almost a grin. He was sizing her up, yet his manner was so casual and laid back that he didn’t come across as predatory or threatening. Rather, he simply enjoyed being a know-it-all and wanted to view her reaction to the info he'd just dropped from every possible angle.

"What brings you here? To wander the halls of Lord Marr? You look bored."

Mmm,” he hummed. “I am a student of alchemy. My preferred laboratory is being remodeled, so Malum offered to let me use his. He wants me to be his apprentice, but I haven’t given him an answer yet.” As if Malum were a desperate suitor trying to woo him. “Right this minute, I’m on my break. I was hoping to find something to do between afternoon tea and vivisection.

Marcus Dinn Marcus Dinn

Something about the tall, young looking man before Revna made her feel more alert and on edge. She couldn’t quite place it, but she definitely didn’t let her guard down around him.

Yes…especially for someone with no prior knowledge of the Sith.” She replied to his comments about her reading material being quintessential.

He asked if Malum was her mentor, and an amused glint shone in her eyes for a moment, and she refrained from speaking as he continued, not wishing to cut over him. He figured out pretty quickly that she was the Acolyte of Darth Strosius Darth Strosius , though she did tilt her head curiously when he told her that her Mentor’s name was ‘Alisteri Haxim’.

Now she understood where the nickname ‘Ali’ had come from, and she stored the name of her Mentor away in her brain.

The man continued on with what he was saying, slowly circling around her as he did so with his hands clasped behind his back, almost seeming to study her. She kept her eyes on him as he did so, shifting her body in an almost nonchalant manner in an effort to keep him within her line of sight and not have him at her back. She continued to listen, her brows dipping in a frown when he told her that her Mentor had once had a lover, a female noblewoman who had also been a vampiress.

This young man seemed almost…excited to tell her that while together, her Mentor had let this woman bite him and turn him into what she was as well.

Many things clicked into place for Revna upon hearing this news. An eyebrow raised as dawning understanding came over her face and features. This story he told her now did make sense; she knew her High Priest had a ‘special diet’ he observed…and perhaps this truth explained why he never took off his mask.

A face also flashed in her mind’s eye, a beautiful woman she’d met months prior with dangerous and predatorial red eyes, with whom her Mentor had argued bitterly with.

Was it…was it possible? Was she - Lady Tremiru - the one this young man was referring to?

What a fascinating story. No, I did not know any of this. Though I must say, it is my Mentor’s story to tell, and while I know he has his secrets, I respect his privacy. If he wishes to tell me these things, he will in his own time. If not, then it is none of my business.” The little woman replied, a small kind smile crossing her face, though that kindness did not reflect in her stormy eyes. She might broach the subject with her stoic Mentor at some point, even describe who told him such a personal story, and let him decide on if he wished to share more with her or not. If this young man had wished to repulse her or plant a seed of doubt or mistrust in her Mentor, then he had failed, for it only made her more curious.

Revna made her comment of him being bored, of what had brought him to Lord Marr’s estate, and he regaled her with a reply about needing to use Malum’s alchemy laboratory while his was being remodeled. She was familiar with alchemical chambers; she’d joined her own Mentor in his laboratory on Formos to observe him doing minor projects, learning while doing so of course. Alchemy was an interest of hers; she was already forming her own projects for when she had free use of her Sith Lord’s alchemy chambers, but that time had not come yet.

She raised another eyebrow at this young man’s comment about Malum wanting him to be his apprentice…like he was some kind of catch or something…but that he hadn’t given her newest cousin an answer yet. He seemed almost smug in his response to her, something she took note of.

Alchemy you say? I have an interest in alchemy myself… I find the area of study quite fascinating. Alas, I only dabble and learn at the pace my Mentor wishes me to, and therefore I know very little as of right now. But… who am I to argue his wisdom, being his student?

Revna tilted her head and crossed her arms in front of her chest. “What projects are you working on? Anything noteworthy? You have my curiosity now.

Marcus didn’t say it out loud, but it was rather obvious that the girl was new to this whole Sith thing. She had enough self-preservation skills to get her this far, but there was a certain naïve trust about her which could be very easily manipulated.

What a fascinating story. No, I did not know any of this. Though I must say, it is my Mentor’s story to tell, and while I know he has his secrets, I respect his privacy. If he wishes to tell me these things, he will in his own time. If not, then it is none of my business.

He snorted. “I’m surprised you haven’t asked me how I know all this.” Were her interest not obvious, he might’ve thought she was being sarcastic or dismissive. Perhaps she did not know what questions to ask. “As a general rule, it is useful to know things. Knowledge is power. Your master might never tell you his secrets, for fear you would use them against him.” Which, if she was to become a true Sith, was an inevitability anyway. They all killed their masters in the end.

Alchemy you say? I have an interest in alchemy myself… I find the area of study quite fascinating. Alas, I only dabble and learn at the pace my Mentor wishes me to, and therefore I know very little as of right now. But… who am I to argue his wisdom, being his student?

I would hope your head isn’t just an empty vessel waiting to be filled, or your mind a blank page upon which others will write.” He raised an eyebrow. “A teacher is not enough. What they tell you will be tainted by their personal biases and beliefs. You must educate yourself. Seek out your own enlightenment, your own power, or you will never be anything more than a…” He trailed off, a knowing look in his green eyes as he gazed upon her.

What projects are you working on? Anything noteworthy? You have my curiosity now.

Oh, this and that.” He shrugged. “Weapons and armor, mostly. I’m overdue for monster-making, but the creation of life is a more complicated business than swords and sorcery.” Eagerness and excitement mingled with reluctance and uncertainty in him at the thought of conceiving his first Sithspawn. The mixed emotions of a first-time parent, if you will.

"If I may ask, why are you a Sith?" he asked, seemingly out of the blue.

Marcus Dinn Marcus Dinn

His snort made her raise an eyebrow. “Of course knowledge is power. Any self respecting Sith knows this.” She replied with a small tug at the corner of her lips, as amusement danced her eyes. “It is entirely possible he hasn’t shared that kind of information with me for that exact reason.” Not that she’d use that kind of information against her Mentor; she had long figured out that the bond they shared was far different than that of other Sith and their pupils. She had much respect for her Mentor, even with his eccentric and maverick ways. Where others expected her to eventually kill him, she knew that was unlikely to happen…unless he turned his back on everything he preached and stood for. Then she had an obligation to either try and return him back to his path…or destroy him so he didn’t decimate everything he had worked so hard to build. Her mind briefly went back to that conversation she’d had with Darth Strosius, before she returned to the present.

I will assume that you came by this knowledge like anyone else might: gossip; hearsay. Or maybe you witnessed this first hand yourself.” She shrugged. “Who knows? How you came by it matters not to me.

Was she curious to know more? Absolutely. She’d probably crack and bring it up to her Mentor at some point and see what he had to say about it. Perhaps the next time she was with him, she would…if she remembered.

She shifted her weight from one leg to the other as she listened to the man before her continued. He voiced topics and thoughts she had long since come to accept for herself, and her smile grew a little more. She waited for him to trail off, before responding. He didn’t need to finish for her to catch what he was trying to convey to her. She found it to be amusing.

Of course my Mentor can’t teach me everything there is to know. I value what he has to teach me and share with me, but there are things he simply doesn’t know. I would only limit myself and my abilities and strength if I didn’t branch out and absorb knowledge from other places.

Even from her enemies if it came down to that. But she kept that information to herself.

Revna listened as he touched on what projects he might be working on, noting that he didn’t go into depth about anything in particular. She pursed her lips in thought as some ideas for projects filtered through her mind, before her attention was drawn back in by his next statement.

…why was she a Sith, indeed?

She paused, tilting her head left to right slightly as she regarded him, her eyes narrowing in thought to his question before another smile graced her face. “We all have our own reasons for embracing the ways of the Sith…don’t we? I became a Sith because I wanted the power I’d seen in another for myself. I wanted the freedom that they had, the influence that their power afforded them. To see just where and how far I could take myself with it.

A generic answer, perhaps. There were other reasons behind why she became a Sith, why she continued on her journey in becoming a Sith. But…as he had stated, knowledge was power.

Why are you a Sith? Assuming that you are one, that is. Who knows. Maybe you’re masquerading around as one but you’re actually a Jedi undercover. Wouldn’t that be something…” she countered back at him, the spark of amusement still in her eyes.

I will assume that you came by this knowledge like anyone else might: gossip; hearsay. Or maybe you witnessed this first hand yourself. Who knows? How you came by it matters not to me.

As I said, it happened before my time.” Marcus mimicked her amused glance, mirroring it back at her. “I have visions of the past, the present, and the future, Revna.” He liked her enough so far to extend the courtesy, so he added, “My name is Marcus.

I can see that you intend to ask your master about what I just told you.” He shook his head. “That ruins the whole appeal of knowing his secret, doesn’t it?” It also might come back to bite Marcus in the ass (perhaps literally—those fangs!) if she revealed her source.

He didn’t need the visions to detect the respect she had for Strosius. It bordered on veneration, similar to how he felt about his father. She did not intend to betray her master any time soon. “I told you only for your sake. If my master was a vampire, I’d want to know.

Why are you a Sith? It was a question he often found himself asking his peers, elders, teachers, and nearly everyone in the whole bloody empire. Why are you here? So few seemed to have an answer that wasn’t a flimsy excuse, a deflection, or a copout. So few were Sith because they wanted to be.

He was glad to hear her express true desire for this way of life. Even then, her desire was rooted in envy. She coveted the power and strength others had. It wasn’t hard to see why, but it still wasn’t enough for him…

Why are you a Sith? Assuming that you are one, that is. Who knows. Maybe you’re masquerading around as one but you’re actually a Jedi undercover. Wouldn’t that be something…

Marcus blinked in surprise, the visions having failed to warn him of what she would say. For a moment he felt a flash of nervousness at the accusation. Then he burst into laughter. “Ah, bloody hell. You’ve found me out.” He held up his gloved hands in mock surrender. “I admit it, I’m here to seduce you back to the Light.” He let his hands drop. “I am a Sith because I enjoy being the bad guy. I’m evil and I love it. I want to share my happiness with others, whether by playing the villain or corrupting the hero. It's all in good fun.

Marcus Dinn Marcus Dinn

So he could see past, present, and future events through visions? Now that was intriguing.

He seemed to have figured out her name…that must have come from one of his visions too she mused…though he had the courtesy to give her his own name, which she appreciated.

I might, yes. And I suppose you are right…it would ruin the whole secrecy thing.” She shrugged. She could probably keep the information to herself, though knowing herself, she was driven by a constant need to learn about new things and her curiosity probably wouldn’t let her keep the information to herself for very long. “I would only want to know, simply to learn more about what he is. The idea of him being more than just a Sith Lord is fascinating. I certainly don’t fear him, even if he was or is a ‘vampire’. He hasn’t harmed me yet, and I doubt he will…unless I forced his hand.

Revna was further amused when she saw the brief look of surprise cross the youth’s face at the statement she had made, and his laughter made her lip twitch in a smile as he went along with her ludicrous suggestion that he might be a Jedi undercover. She could tell that he wasn’t, clearly. No Jedi would have that amount of darkness coming off of them.

His hands dropped back to his side, and her gaze flickered to them before back to his face, having to keep her neck somewhat craned in order to look at him. Why was everyone she came across so much damn taller than she was?

‘Seduce me back to the Light’.” She chuckled, a deep sound from her chest. “I’ve never known the Light, and want to keep it that way. Though I might entertain a Jedi who tries. Would be a fun game to play with one.

Marcus, as he said his name was, indulged her question. He was a Sith because he wanted to be the bad guy; he liked being evil. “Simple enough reasons to be a Sith, I suppose. We do need our bad boys to remind the rest of the galaxy not to kark around with us. And I do find enjoyment in corrupting others, especially Jedi, when given the chance.” Revna replied. “So you have visions, do you? I find that very interesting. How did you come about this gift? Or maybe it is more of a curse? I wouldn’t mind learning more about such a thing, feed my curiosity.

Revna thought her master's vampirism was fascinating, because of course she did. He wondered if she might want to become a vampire herself. The thought didn't appeal to Marcus, but that was because he had seen his parents fall to the curse of Force parasitism. The boons of feeding on others were short-lived, and the burdens heavy.

"'Seduce me back to the Light'."

"Oh, I wouldn't dream of it," he purred, giving her a heavy-lidded smile. "I like you just the way you are." She was too old for him, but a little casual flirtation never hurt anyone. "I've always wanted to corrupt a Jedi. I came up with various methods to try, but in actual practice it never goes according to plan. Now that I think about it, seduction could be quite effective." In her youth, his mother had entertained thoughts of leaving the Sith, drawn in by the allure of a handsome Jedi. But then his father returned to the academy on Korriban, and she decided to stay with him. The state of her soul had depended purely on who she loved best.

"So you have visions, do you? I find that very interesting. How did you come about this gift? Or maybe it is more of a curse? I wouldn't mind learning more about such a thing, feed my curiosity."

"It all started when I was about four." Marcus leaned against the edge of an ornately carved antique wooden table covered in various electronics. "My mother won second place in some sort of contest or raffle. She had been hoping for first, and had no idea what the prize would be for second place. It turned out to be a picnic with the man who had funded the lottery.

"She, rather foolishly perhaps, took my twin sister and I with her. The man sat on a blanket laden with food in the middle of a field. He looked simultaneously young and old, physically fit with a pointed white beard and piercing eyes. His voice was loud and booming, and he said such
strange things." Marcus' gaze had grown distant as he recalled the memory. "My mother told me later that she noticed right away that something was wrong, but I, being four, didn't know any better. I was hungry, so I grabbed a pastry from the picnic spread and before she could stop me, took a bite.

"It tasted pretty good. But it made me see things I shouldn't have seen, and know things I shouldn't know. I've been having these visions ever since.
" He watched her reaction, wondering if she would find the story funny, sad, infuriating, or maybe just interesting.

Marcus Dinn Marcus Dinn

Her eyebrows quirked again as an “oh really?” expression crossed her face at the man’s flirtatious comment. She found him to be amusing and entertaining thus far in his conversation with her.

I find the idea of corrupting a Jedi to be very…exciting. Sure, killing them is fun too…but to see them crack and eventually fall, now that is another level of satisfaction.” Revna replied with the amusement still glinting in her eyes, though she fell silent and listened as Marcus shared with her the story of how he came across his abilities.

So…all of this had come from eating a pastry? It was almost unbelievable, though Revna had since come to understand that strange things could happen when the Force got involved. Her lip twitched slightly in a small smirk after he had finished telling her the fascinating story.

Hard to resist sweets as a little child isn’t it? That…is one intriguing story, however. It seems both unfortunate and fortunate at the same time, though I’m sure you’ve since found uses for this…gift.

Revna shifted her weight to her other leg, her eyes narrowing again in thought. “Would it be too far-fetched for me to assume that your visions told you we would cross paths? Surely it didn’t guide you here to simply talk to me. Or maybe it has.” She shrugged. “So far I find you intriguing.” She paused for a breath, a contemplative look crossing her face, before she opened her mouth to speak again. “...Have you ever sacrificed a Jedi for your alchemy purposes? I’ve pondered on that for some time myself; how the blood of a Force sensitive would react with alchemized weapons or gear, if it would improve such things or not. You have more experience in the field than I, I think. What is your opinion on this?

"It is, isn't it," he agreed wholeheartedly. "True power isn't in conquering the body, but in conquering the mind. If you can change your enemy's heart, turning it to your side, you can do anything."

She smirked a little at his story, but did not laugh. He watched her closely, as fixated upon her as she was on him. "It is very useful. Even the madness that accompanies my visions isn't so bad. I enjoy being a little bit crazy."

"Would it be too far-fetched for me to assume that your visions told you we would cross paths? Surely it didn't guide you here to simply talk to me."

"Is there something else you'd rather be doing with me?" he asked, still looking at her from beneath lowered lids. She found him intriguing, did she? "I heard a whisper from the future about you and Zach. He's my 'brother', of sorts. I feel I should warn you that he has a habit of not sticking around for very long. I thought perhaps you might prefer something more lasting."

"...Have you ever sacrificed a Jedi for your alchemy purposes? I've pondered on that for some time myself; how the blood of a Force sensitive would react with alchemized weapons or gear, if it would improve such things or not. You have more experience in the field than I, I think. What is your opinion on this?"

"Blood is regularly used to temper metals," Marcus replied. "Not always the blood of a sacrificed Jedi, but sometimes. Despite what you see in horror holos, blood confers very little in the way of essence. And besides, imbuing the energies of a living being into an object is generally inadvisable." He was starting to sound like his mentor. Always practicality over extravagance.

Marcus Dinn Marcus Dinn

The little woman found herself agreeing with the man’s statement on conquering the mind and changing the heart of their enemy; sure it took strength and power to slay one’s enemy but to have them change their ways and embrace something other than what they knew…that took careful skill and manipulation and for the little Sith, she found that more…pleasing than simply killing her foes.

Unless it was a slaver, or a slave-owner. She made sure to always kill them.

Revna was amused when she heard Marcus say he enjoyed being a little crazy, a side effect brought on by the visions he was opened up to. She didn’t know if she could tolerate that kind of madness herself, but all the more power to him if he could.

Though, it was a little disconcerting that he could…see or know things about her, and her relationship with others. It made her a bit more guarded, and she wondered…how did someone combat his unique abilities, or block him from seeing? She didn’t exactly consider him an enemy at this point in time, but if he ever became so…the less he knew the better.

Especially when he mentioned her current…friendship with Zachariah. Her eyes narrowed in caution as the man’s words fell from his mouth and into her ears. He was attempting to…warn?...her that Zach had a habit (according to Marcus) about not ‘sticking’ around and perhaps she would like something more long lasting.

But it also came across as an attempt to sabotage what she was trying to build with Zach. The idea of that brought a small smirk to her face.

I…appreciate…the warning, but you need not concern yourself over that. If he wishes to stay with me as my ally, my friend, then he is free to do so. If he desires to move on then so be it.” Revna replied cooly.

She listened as he gave his opinion on the sacrifice of Jedi and using blood as a quench for alchemy projects. Though she silently disagreed with some of what he said just based on her own lessons and studies in the topic, she nonetheless found herself further drawn in and intrigued by his thoughts.

I’ve never seen nor read horror holos, so I can’t compare that to my studies and research. But you say infusing energies from others is inadvisable. How so? What makes you say that? What do you suggest then to replace it?

Marcus didn’t need the Force to detect the dangerous change in Revna’s tone. She didn’t like him encroaching on the subject of Zach. Without another word, he smirked and raised his hands as if in surrender or to shrug it off. He had said all that he wanted to say on the matter.

I’ve never seen nor read horror holos, so I can’t compare that to my studies and research."

Really?” he murmured. “I find them quite inspirational.

"But you say infusing energies from others is inadvisable. How so? What makes you say that? What do you suggest then to replace it?

"Because people are generally unwilling to give up their essence to become a sword or some other nifty gadget," Marcus replied. "They'll fight you every step of the way, both during and after the process. It may sound like fun at first, but constantly having to keep a furious, rebellious soul in your thrall is often more trouble than its worth. You'd be better off consuming them... and even that comes with its own set of pros and cons."

While he spoke, he turned his back to her, tracing his fingertips over the wood grain of the antique table. He was thinking of his mother and father and the techniques they had taught him. A curious wave of homesickness hit him, a longing for the primordial wilds of Zaathru. A world of gods and monsters.

"As for a replacement," he muttered, clearing his throat. "Imbue it with your own energies. They can always be replenished, and you'll have better control over all aspects of your creation."

Marcus Dinn Marcus Dinn

Thankfully, the young Sith male seemed to catch the hint that Revna was not going to discuss Zachariah with him, and her eyes remained a touch cold as she watched him raise his hands in mock surrender, a gesture she knew was not genuine but they both moved past the brief moment of tension.

Marcus seemed to find her statement about never having seen horror holos surprising, and he mentioned that he found them inspirational which brought a small, knowing smile to dance briefly across her face. Of course he would; though she had never seen or read such things, she could only imagine that something involving horror would be an inspiration to young, aspiring Sith.

Next he moved on to answer her inquiry into why he advised against using the blood of others in the process of alchemizing Sith weaponry. His explanation intrigued her and she tilted her head in curious thought and reflection.

Perhaps I am a little strange then; I find immense joy in provoking such captured subjects into their rebellion, their anger that eventually dissolves into fear and hopelessness. Especially when you have multiple sacrifices and they get to watch their fellow comrades be tortured and their pain and suffering extracted. Quite…satisfying if I may be frank. Especially when its enemies I despise with every ounce of my being.” She paused for a moment as she gripped her chin in the fingers of one hand, watching the Sith man carefully as he turned his back towards her and ran a hand over the surface of the beautiful and ornate table that sat against the wall beside them.

I never get tired of seeing my enemies and rivals suffer in such a manner. I’d do it forever if I could.” She murmured, a glint of wicked, cold cruelty in her eyes that hadn’t been there before, something that was rarely seen upon the face and eyes of the young woman. A glimpse into the heart of darkness that swirled within her very being as the façade she wore vanished briefly before returning.

Revna listened as he told her of an alternative means to use to imbue Sith weapons and gear, and she pursed her lips in thoughtful consideration and nodded in understanding.

I never truly considered using my own essence and energy for such things. I will have to try that sometime, and experiment with it, and see how effective it is.

It doesn’t make you strange,” Marcus replied. “There are and have been thousands, if not millions of sadistic Sith who simply enjoy hurting people and making them suffer.” He took a deep breath and exhaled in a sigh, muttering, “You are just like them.

He showed little reaction to the heart of darkness within her. If anything, its presence made her less interesting in his eyes. If she had been different… But as he said, it did not make her special. She was simply more of what he was used to dealing with among the Sith.

I would advise only that you take care not to inflict pain and destruction unnecessarily. Torture and murder are messy and can come back to bite you. Always have a goal in mind when you do them. Otherwise, you’ll become like a pizza cutter.” He paused and glanced over his shoulder at her before elaborating on the odd metaphor: “All edge, no point.

I never truly considered using my own essence and energy for such things. I will have to try that sometime, and experiment with it, and see how effective it is.

Well, if you have the time, we could go down to the lab now,” he said, glancing at his chrono. “I am due to return to my studies in seven minutes.

Marcus Dinn Marcus Dinn

She raised an eyebrow again at the man’s comments. It seemed she was doing that a lot in this conversation with him. She found his comments about her being sadistic and enjoying hurting others to be…strange, considering what he had told her a little bit ago, though still amusing all the same.

...says the one who confessed to being a Sith because they want to be the ‘bad guy’. Who is evil and loves being so.” She smiled slightly. “Just like every other Sith out there I imagine..” She paused as he continued, giving her some advice that she already adhered to anyway, though she wasn't one to scoff or turn away any advice or lessons given to her. Everyone had something to teach, something to share...be they an apprentice or a Lord. She would only be hurting herself if she dismissed the young man's words.

Oh I don’t enjoy bringing suffering to just anyone, only those who I hate, or attract my ire. There should always be a reason…a point…behind an action, at least for me. But thanks for the advice all the same.

He looked over his shoulder at her before looking at his chrono and indicated that he needed to return to his studies soon, and gave her an invitation to tag along with him to the lab if she had the time. She debated on it for a moment or two, before making her decision to go with him - if only to satisfy her curiosity about what he was doing down in the lab.

...why not? I have some time before I am due to practice my forms. Lead the way.

...says the one who confessed to being a Sith because they want to be the ‘bad guy’. Who is evil and loves being so. Just like every other Sith out there I imagine...

Ah, but to be a villain and to be a sadist are not the same thing.” His little smile had returned in full. “You would be surprised at how many of your fellow Sith are here simply because this is the only life they have ever known. Malum, for example, was born into a Sith lineage. If you were to ask him if he would still be a Sith if he were born among Jedi, I think he would admit the answer is probably no.” Malum didn’t strike him as overly pious, and therefore wouldn’t condemn such a notion as blasphemous. He might find the question impertinent, but most bitter truths made for a rude awakening.

I was lucky—I spent part of my childhood in the care of my grandparents, who were neither Sith nor Jedi but something else entirely: Chaldeans. They despise any use of the Force. Or despised, I should say. Their grotesque little civilization no longer exists. It was their own faults that did them in, you see.” There was a faint glimmer of malicious delight in his green eyes as he casually mentioned the self-destruction of his mother’s people. “But I am glad I got a taste of something different. My appreciation for the way of the Sith is strengthened because I have lived another, lesser life that I can compare it to. I can say ‘I choose to be here of my own free will’ and really mean it.

She agreed with him and thanked him for his advice. He dipped his head in acknowledgment, then with a flourish of his black cape he turned and walked through the archway leading back to the main corridor.

The entrance to the laboratory wasn’t far. Ancient stone steps descended down into darkness, bathed in the flickering glow of torches that were gradually being updated with more practical lighting. The lab itself had already been modernized; the equipment was state of the art, made of gleaming metal and shining transparisteel. Only the worn old books and grimy bottles which lined the shelves showed signs of age. The room had an antiseptic smell, cleaning droids having washed away all the blood and gore of previous sessions. Reveling in the Dark Side wasn’t worth the risk of infectious disease. Or tracking blood around the house, for that matter.

Marcus and Revna were not alone. A dark haired man dressed in red and black robes stood over an empty vat, peering at a nearby console. He glanced up at the two of them briefly as they entered, before turning back to his work. “You’re early, Marcus. Have you brought a friend, or fodder?

Master Fogg,” Marcus greeted his mentor with a bow. “This is Revna, Darth Malum’s… protege.” He saw no point in a complicated introduction; he would understand that she was not fodder for their experiments. “Revna, this is Silas Fogg. Last of the great master alchemists.

Silas straightened, looking Revna up and down with one hand resting on his hip. “Charmed. What are you here for, a pretty sword? A pet familiar? A body modification?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom