Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mandatory Dev Thread for 1st Lightsaber

None of mien got that really, the most odd of mien is shudcus and thats just paired with the ability to connect together to form a staff if she wants. Also how retroactivity would this get implemented? seems kinda arbitrary or is there a rash of strange sabers? i guess this feels like a solution seeking a problem.

[member="Zambrano the Hutt"] Thats fine as i said I don't mind if this is something for special sabers but making it for everybody seems like it's trying to solve something and unless we have a rash of people with special sabers popping up seems odd to me.

Not a development thread. They're for factory creations. If people want to do a crystal gathering, lightsaber constructing thread then sure. Yay for character development. But this shouldn't be mandatory. If they try to create a saber which requires a development thread, then they should do the required dev' thread. They shouldn't have to do two dev threads.

None of the stuff mentioned has any kind of a tactical advantage, with the exception of my hand grenade saber (hereafter patented and referred to as the HGS). Everything so far has just been cosmetic. Couldn't you just describe that or put a picture and description in your bio? That's what I would have done. I mean you could submit a factory post, but it shouldn't be mandatory. It's kind of a waste...

The HGS provides an unfair advantage at a cost. It would have to have a mandatory submission.

On this note ... this thread finally gives me an opportunity to mention something that has bothered me for a very long time now. I'm finally going to say it....

How do you even make a lightsaber?! Oh sure you word it vaguely in your dev thread, but seriously...

Lets be very fair here. MAYBE Luke could have done it because he spent his entire life making half dead junk work with spare parts. Obi wan kenobi though? No

There are two ways to make a lightsaber.

1) KOTOR style - You walk to the nearby storage crate, grab the four or so parts you need and puzzle them together at the adjacent workbench. No major dev thread needed.
2) Realism style - Between meditation, yoga, and force mastery classes ... you attend a four year college degree program focusing on advanced electrical engineering, metal fabrication/CNC machining, nuclear physics, and magical focusing crystals farming. You're going to need a major dev thread.

Another example of this is Mandalorians MAKING their own armor. No ... no no no no no!

Zambrano the Hutt said:
A suggestion within the question's thread lead to some wondering about a rule mandating the new Jedi and Sith must engage in some kind of short quest (dev thread) for their lightsabers. I would think this would be a wonderful idea. However, to keep the Factory from being cluttered with petty generic lightsabers, why not just make building ones first generic lightsaber (in a thread) must be a prerequisite before more unique lightsabers can be attempted to be crafted (possibly with their own separate dev thread in addition, if it happens to be the second lightsaber one makes).
Who is going to police this? How is this going to be put into play to ensure all force users utilize this? What stops a non force user from picking up someone else's lightsaber and learning then keeping that one?

Beskar is a completely non-renewable resource that should be completely non-existent based on how it has been used up until recently both in canon and Chaos, lightsaber crystals grow - and any misuse will simply have a report for them to submit their glowstick to the factory.

Vascious Relens said:
None of the stuff mentioned has any kind of a tactical advantage, with the exception of my hand grenade saber (hereafter patented and referred to as the HGS). Everything so far has just been cosmetic. Couldn't you just describe that or put a picture and description in your bio? That's what I would have done. I mean you could submit a factory post, but it shouldn't be mandatory. It's kind of a waste...

The HGS provides an unfair advantage at a cost. It would have to have a mandatory submission.

On this note ... this thread finally gives me an opportunity to mention something that has bothered me for a very long time now. I'm finally going to say it....

How do you even make a lightsaber?! Oh sure you word it vaguely in your dev thread, but seriously...

Lets be very fair here. MAYBE Luke could have done it because he spent his entire life making half dead junk work with spare parts. Obi wan kenobi though? No

There are two ways to make a lightsaber.

1) KOTOR style - You walk to the nearby storage crate, grab the four or so parts you need and puzzle them together at the adjacent workbench. No major dev thread needed.
2) Realism style - Between meditation, yoga, and force mastery classes ... you attend a four year college degree program focusing on advanced electrical engineering, metal fabrication/CNC machining, nuclear physics, and magical focusing crystals farming. You're going to need a major dev thread.

Another example of this is Mandalorians MAKING their own armor. No ... no no no no no!
Just wanted to point out that a lightsaber is extremely basic in construction, and there exists actual diagrams that explain how they are put together in the real world.

And to clarify, I am one of those people who submit all of their things to the factory, vanilla or not. Both of my lightsabers are in there, and so is everything else (except for the glistaweb stuff I bought from Rave).

Most Jedi put theirs together through the Force anyway (parts of it have to be constructed through the Force to ensure they're aligned properly) - as the above person stated there are step by step methods of how to construct them too. I have my own written out somewhere for.. reasons.. It's not that difficult to do IC.

I'd change this topics name to Faction thread, too. Dev threads are only for Factory creations. What you're speaking of isn't even going to be subbed to the Factory until it reaches unique saber stage in which case it needs its own dev thread anyway if it requires any at all.

I can concur with Vitium, I put all my stuff through the the factory because I view it as fair to others, and my primary saber I did the dev thread voluntarily because I wanted the Inquisitors because it was cool

Fair enough.

I'm sufficiently convinced that this is not necessary. Feel free to continue discussing it, but I won't be contributing further.

I'll edit the OP so that it says Faction if need be though, as per [member="Adiara Drelas"] request, though I'm a little hazy as to why since the mechanics of the proposed rules have no mention of factions, and nothing but Factory "If, Then" as well as "If and Only If" statements (though they are informal and not in that format).

Darth Vitium said:
Just wanted to point out that a lightsaber is extremely basic in construction, and there exists actual diagrams that explain how they are put together in the real world.
Snapping a few mass produced parts together and slipping them into a pipe would not be hard. The padawan should be able to do it with a poster next to the work bench. The only hard part would need to be learned would be to not cut your arm off when playing with it.

Realistically anyone in the galaxy should be able to go onto the SW version of amazon or ebay and make a lightsaber.

My comment was on the idea of making one up out of thin air. Custom engineering each part.

Fun conversation anyway. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom