Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Mystic's Dream

slapalogoonit.png

Chaldean Academy, Chaldea
Shortly after joining the Alliance...

Ishani left the meeting feeling deflated. She had hoped to emerge more… triumphant. Standing tall with her head held high, completely certain that things were on the right track. Instead, she felt unsure—though she couldn't tell if her trepidation was because she thought things should've gone differently, or if she was just afraid of what they had set in motion. Not just for Chaldea, but for herself as well...

Green eyes scanning the clusters of people still lingering in the building, she searched for the comfort of a familiar face. Eventually she spotted Persis. The yellow-robed seeress stood a little off to the side, engaged in conversation with a fair-haired woman. Ishani stared at them until she could recall the woman's name and title: Aria Vestra, the Duchess of Ios.

“...It is difficult, of course,” Persis was saying as Ishani approached. “I have no doubt there will be unrest to come. But the decision has been made, and our leaders will follow through…” She trailed off, sensing Ishani's presence drawing near, and smiled. “Allow me to introduce Ishani Sibwarra, the Mystics’ and the Finfolks' choice as a potential candidate for Senator."

Ishani sucked in a breath at that introduction. “Your Grace,” she said quickly, dropping into a curtsy. No use being bashful about it now that the future is sealed.

While giving Aria a chance to respond, Persis led the trio of women outside to an arcade, a long pathway lined with stone arches and columns that provided shade from the sun. The area was quiet and largely deserted, allowing them to speak more freely. Ishani wasn't sure where this was going, but she assumed Aria must have had more to say to them. Maybe Persis was hoping to win the Duchess' support? Or was the Duchess trying to win them over? Was this a test?

Stop, Ishani told herself. You'll make yourself sick with worry if you don't stop thinking like this. New as she was to the world of politics, Ishani had already begun to develop a keen sense of paranoia and anxiety, expecting every new meeting to be an attempt at taking advantage of her. Whether this new instinct would prove a hinderance or a boon to her remained to be seen.

Duchess Aria Vestra, Jedi Master and Sentinel, had stayed behind on Chaldea to help oversee its introduction to the wider galactic community. The negotiations had gone shockingly smoothly with general assurances and understandings made; but that had scarcely touch the surface of the myriad of legal, economic, and social implications of the tentative agreement to join the Alliance. The most... delicate of which involved the Chaldean Mystics.

As a Sentinel it was Aria's intent and desire to help the people of Chaldea grow and mature along their own path. They didn't need to embrace the Order -- scandalous as that would be to the Council -- but there were certain matters that required... attention. Not that Aria could address them all at once or any particular aspect in one fell swoop. Severing the Force, for instance, was something if given the ability to discontinue Aria would do so gladly. That, however, would be a massive societal change and there ancillary matters to consider before attempting it.

In the short-term, the Duchess would learn more about the Chaldean people and their way of life. Only by truly understanding them could they expect integration with the Alliance and a mutually beneficial relationship. Change could then happen over time that would not rob them of their identity, as Aria herself promised. This all began with a few simple conversation, like the one she was having with Persis at that very moment.

The young woman from the negotiations drew near, which prompted Persis to introduce her. "Senate Candidate Ishani Sibwarra," Aria bowed her head slightly with a smile, "a pleasure. As Duchess of Ios it is my fondest wish that Chaldea flourish in the Alliance as a sovereign member united to forming a greater whole."

The trio of women soon took to a light stroll outside to an arcade, which was a refreshing change of scenery. "The Seeress and I were just discussing how just joining the Alliance may cause unrest. It is one thing for a group to claim to support Chaldea's autonomy, and there will be doubts if those claims hold true in practice. Few welcome such a profound change without concern. While I cannot promise nothing will change, I can assure you that if chosen as Senator your voice will be heard; and that I and others in the Senate Halls would support any effort to ensure the peace and security of your world."

Aria smiled as she discretely shifted her stance and position to check for anyone nearby watching or listening to them. "There are other matters to consider, of course." Her yellow eyes slid back to Persis and then Ishani. "The Jedi were also a concern. While it is true the Council will not impose their will at the end of a saber, it is my hope that Chaldea might, at least, open a dialogue with them. That while we may not all agree on all matters, we at least understand each other's positions. Understanding prevents misunderstandings that lead to needless suffering." And, of course, should the Mystics want to foster any particular changes... the Jedi would be there to support them. But at least for now Aria wouldn't be too forward. Not without understanding the women she was conversing with first.

Tag: Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Duchess Aria Vestra had a heart-shaped face with fine, delicate features. In everything she comported herself most elegantly, from the way she plaited her white hair, with long wispy tendrils left dangling before her elfin ears, to the yellow jewels adorning the center of her brow and the curve of her jaw. She tread softly, with hardly a whisper of fabric across the stones, and spoke in a measured voice with just the faintest hint of an accent.

Aria had stressed the need for dialogue between the Jedi and the Potentium during the meeting. She wasn’t being particularly inconspicuous about where her allegiances lay—when speaking of the Jedi, she used the word we. The words coming out of her dainty mouth now were more of the same, though Ishani sensed it was meant more as a feeler now, a way of gauging whether the Mystics would pose a problem.

Suppressing a sigh, Ishani glanced over at Persis as if looking for guidance from the older woman. But Persis’ face was unreadable, her sightless eyes staring straight ahead as she strolled along the arcade, sensing the world around her with the Force. The young Senate candidate was on her own.

Ishani lowered her head as Aria continued to talk, letting her veil partially obscure her expression as she furrowed her brow and chewed her lip. Literally minutes after signing a portion of their independence away, they were already being pressured to be more tolerant, to open themselves up to other creeds and doctrines, to put away prejudices and grievances stretching back millennia.

If we didn’t expect the same rights afforded a democracy, we would not have joined with the Alliance so readily,” Ishani replied, her fingers plucking idly at the folds of her gown. “As for opening a dialogue with the Jedi Order…

“The people of Chaldea are free to engage with any ideas they see fit,” Persis interjected, though she managed to make it sound gentle and polite. “Within reason, of course—we do frown upon the teachings of the Sith and other extremist groups, same as the Alliance. If the Jedi mean to extend a hand in friendship towards the Potentium...”

They will have far less success,” Ishani said, picking up her train of thought. Persis hummed in agreement, nodding her head as Ishani continued, “But even the Potentium is not a monolith. There are many different points of view contained within it—the Mystics, the Paladins, the Potentiates… though they are all united by their belief that the Force should be rarely used, if at all...” She side-eyed the Duchess. “What exactly are your concerns, Your Grace? What do you think will happen if we don’t ‘open up a dialogue’ with the Jedi?

Aria listened respectfully as the two women spoke while they walked. It wasn't surprising they weren't strongly in favor of her re-emphasized proposal. What was important, however, was that neither of them shut her down immediately. Perhaps they wouldn't change their mind, but they were open to considering the possibilities. If Chaldea and the Alliance had any hope for a long, fruitful relationship they would need to be open to a new and diverse set of ideas; the ability to critically evaluate them were crucial.

"My greatest fear is if neither party is able to establish even the rudimentary of understandings it is only a matter of time before a terrible and avoidable misunderstanding will occur. During the negotiations there was mention of killing intruders. Now that Chaldea is part of the Alliance, the Council is less likely to take kindly to its members being killed without due process. To avoid this diplomatic quagmire, a dialogue of understanding Chaldea's expectations, laws, and acceptable uses of the Force would be the minimum I would strongly encourage," the Duchess replied calmly, but with strong emphasis on the importance she felt in this matter. "Given recent events I would not advise relaying on the Senate to pass along your concerns on these matters." Largely because the Council might be disinclined to receive such recommendations by a group that sought to lock them inside their own Temple. "Direct facilitation would help establish a means of communicating your concerns and requests with the Jedi Council both now and in the future."

"I do hope the relationship might flourish from there,"
Aria admitted, "but I meant what I said earlier. Chaldea belongs to the Chaldeans. This is your world, and the Jedi do not seek to rule over you. Their concern is with the well-being of people and ensuring peace in the galaxy. They may seek to persuade you to change certain practices," the Duchess acknowledged with a small smile, "but they will not be unreasonable. Nor would the Senate allow them to unilaterally force change." Legislation belonged to the Senate, after all. Though the Jedi were given wide latitude regarding matters of the Force, and they could at times force change, it was typically done in a very narrowly tailored fashion. Their Order wasn't big enough to dictate how every world operated. Those that suffered garnered attention, while those with simple disagreements were consulted with over time in the hope of convincing such people to change for what seemed to be the better.

"You have my personal offer of assistance in facilitating discussions with the Jedi or other worlds, and meeting others that may be aligned with your beliefs and aspirations. It is my utmost hope that your world will not only receive protection from threats like the Maw, but benefit from all that the Alliance has to offer."

Lenore Gray’s words had done significant damage to the Alliance’s first impression of Chaldea. Ishani had figured such, but when Aria spoke of the Jedi trying to persuade them to change “certain practices”, she had a distinct feeling that wasn’t the only Chaldean custom she was referring to.

But she felt like she ought to address the elephant in the room anyway. “First and foremost, Lenore Gray is a radical,” Ishani replied. “She was trying to claim stuff that happened twenty five years ago was still, y’know, a thing. It was a very different time.

She was being far too defensive, and she knew it. The truth was, the Paladins were still active, and while they made far more arrests than killings, it certainly hadn’t completely died out.

Nowadays, the Paladins arrest and sometimes kill Force Users, that’s true. They mainly exist to weed out dangerous people—Sith and Dark Siders and such—who pose a threat to the innocent. But they don’t really differentiate between the Dark and the Light, Sith and Jedi… or Mystics, for that matter. We don’t like them, but most people are convinced they’re a necessary evil—especially now.” She rubbed the back of her neck. Her palm came away slick with sweat, which she tried to discreetly wipe off on her dress.

“Perhaps it would be best if we did communicate,” Persis said. “If only to avoid misunderstandings and the… oversimplification of complex issues.”

Right.” Turning toward Aria, Ishani asked, “How would we set this dialogue up? I take it you’d rather not act as a go-between. Who do we need to talk to, and how do we reach them?

"I am, of course, willing to facilitate or mediate between parties, but in the long-term it would benefit yourselves and Chaldea most if you could discuss any topic that comes up in time without the need to wait on my availability. Some matters might be time sensitive," Aria replied politely. The Duchess had much to do and could not be the day-to-day courier between an entire planet and the Jedi Council. Nonetheless, she wouldn't just hand them off and forget Chaldea existed. Certainly not in the beginning when the relationship would be most turbulent. "I could certainly arrange the first introduction and establish the means by which you will converse -- if that is by holonet, missive, or representative."

"The Council can be quite," the Ioshan paused in reflection, "adamant at times. They prefer to deliberate and contemplate the larger effect a choice may have rather than make quick decisions and be subject to easily foreseen ramifications. This may prove quite vexing at times, but rest assured they will feel the same way -- and with that both parties have already established a common ground." Okay, that was a small diplomatic joke. Establishing common ground was vital to forming an understanding and from there discussing nuanced topics that may cause tempers to flare, but each party already knew the other was negotiating in good faith and so such things could be overcome. That both parties would aggravate one another was not that sort of common ground, obviously.

"With some Chaldeans able to use the Force, the Council might even supply instructors to bolster your ability to channel its power. I doubt they will be in favor of establishing a completely autonomous Order, but under the circumstances if it enabled Chaldeans to defend their own world without introducing conflict from outsiders being present at all times they may consider it." Whether they'd go for it or not, Aria felt like offering up the idea if that would be more acceptable to the radical elements of their government. It was far from a perfect solution, but then the radicals would want a total abandonment of the Force, which was ultimately self-defeating (and futile).

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Representative,” Ishani replied almost immediately. Letters and holo-messages were too easy to ignore. Chaldea would need someone who would fight to be heard. “We’ll appoint someone to the job.”

The last thing Aria said made Ishani’s eyebrows climb almost to her hairline. They would send Jedi to train the people in using the Force, despite knowing that the Potentium—ugh, forget it. “That’s… probably not going to fly here,” she said, quickly concealing her befuddlement. “At least, not by the time the Maw arrived and we’d need those Chaldean Jedi to defend ourselves.

In her heart Ishani did not believe that imposing Jedi training on Chaldea was right, anyway. She was part of the Potentium now, with all its flaws and sins. She was a Mystic, not a Jedi—and while she was willing to be diplomatic, she wouldn’t bend over backwards trying to placate them.

The trio reached the far end of the arcade. From there, they had a clear view of the sun setting over the ocean.

“Your Grace,” Persis began. “There is one thing which I believe you should know. I couldn’t give you specific names or say what Order it was, but Jedi came to our world twenty-five years ago, during our Civil War. They sided with the secularists, who sought to destroy the Potentium and establish a new government. If I recall correctly, they were hoping to gain a foothold on our world—we had many Force sensitives, which they saw as potential recruits.

“When the Jedi realized the Sith were also aiding the secularists, with similar purposes in mind, most of them abandoned the conflict. Rather than switch sides, they left us to fight the Sith alone. Because they had nothing to gain from defending us…”

Persis felt her way toward a wooden bench and sat down, her voice heavy with emotion, but she remained firm. “If you and your Order think this matter is little more than a centuries-old grudge—nothing that a bit of friendly dialogue and ‘deprogramming’ couldn’t fix—I suggest you abandon that notion. We will never welcome Jedi on our world.”

Standing still, with the evening wind rustling her gown and veil, Ishani didn’t try to interrupt Persis’ speech. Part of her had expected something like this. It seemed inevitable, this oration, as if it had come from the heart of the planet itself, reflecting on the atrocities it had endured within living memory. Was it ironic then that Ishani had been born after the Civil War ended and couldn’t remember any of it? She could only glimpse it in the eyes of her parents and grandparents whenever they spoke of those bloody and tumultuous years.

Ishani’s voice was soft in the silence that followed. “We will speak for ourselves, Duchess. The Jedi Council will have plenty to deliberate over.

Aria nodded slightly. "Perhaps not, but it will remain an option should Chaldea ever decide to pursue it." Ishani may have taken what had been said to a degree in which the Ioshan had not intended. It was only a truth that should the people of the world choose to learn more about the Force -- rather than completely ignore it except as a means of suppressing it -- the Jedi would gladly aid them in such a pursuit. There was no reason for them to learn some of the hardest lessons about the Force from the beginning, after all.

As they came to the end of their path, Aria listened as Persis was more open with their history and the motives behind their actions. Golden eyes watched the woman intently as she spoke. No effort was made to interject or refute a word she said as it was said. It was important to know where they were coming from -- how they felt.

"Never is a long time, Seer, but what was done to you was a crime from which I can only hope time will permit reconciliation. Such will not be necessary for a productive relationship with the Alliance as a whole, however." Perhaps the Jedi would never be welcome on Chaldea, but Aria believed such a definitive and unchanging position to be as foolish as thinking they would set foot on the world tomorrow (short of a full Sith invasion).

"On that note," the Ioshan smiled, "perhaps we should speak of the matters facing Chaldea not stemming from the Jedi. I am certain the Chancellor will be eager to hear whatever way the Alliance may be of service to your world. We need not discuss everything today, but what would you consider your top three priorities?" They'd brought several subjects up in the group meeting, of course, but Aria was curious what the soon-to-be Senator might think of their world's pressing matters. Both now and after Ishani was fully briefed even on things kept behind closed doors.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Well,” Ishani began, hands on her hips as she mulled the question over. “We’re probably one of the few planets you’ll find that actually needs refugees. Our population is decreasing—tons of young people go offworld to seek opportunities elsewhere, while the old people retire and fewer babies are born. We wouldn’t object to taking in people with nowhere else to go.

Chaldea was not a primitive planet by the standards of the galaxy, yet its residents had turned to a simpler, older way of life out of necessity. They had many farmers, shepherds, and huntsmen, but few lawyers, doctors, and accountants. Some of their cities, like Pirivena, lay abandoned following a mass exodus of learned men and women, departing for the stars. To a certain degree, it was hindering their ability to progress and develop as a society.

Then there’s the environmental protections, which we want to ensure…” Perhaps it was just Ishani, but the impression she got of Chancellor Aerarii Tithe was remarkably sleazy—he seemed a businessman first, politician second, decent human being last. It came through especially in his reaction to the Chaldeans’ concerns about exploitation. Then again, many of the Alliance Senators in that room had practically groaned as soon as the topic was broached.

What they perhaps failed to understand was how the issue of protecting the planet was emblematic of the Chaldeans’ belief in their autonomy. After all, if they couldn’t keep their land safe from greedy plunderers, how could they protect it from conquerors of a more warlike bent?

And thirdly… pirates.” Chaldea was often harassed by pirates. Other criminal elements dispersed among their ranks, including slavers, had also used Chaldea as a base. Ishani knew from experience—she and Dag had once rescued a group of children being held captive in a warehouse on her homeworld, about to be sold as slaves. Force, but that felt like it had been a lifetime ago…

We’d like to prevent them from entering the system. So, increased patrols, perhaps? Security outposts?” They could build a base on the moon, or a station in orbit. There were many possibilities to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom