Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Toughest Battles

Cale Gunderson had become a fighter ace and Jedi Knight at fifteen years old, he’d battled full fledged Sith Lords by the time he was twenty, been their slave for a decade, gone to a dimension beyond time, lost his arm, raised a child, fought in the final battles to destroy empires at least thrice, but he had never been on a date. Not even once.

He’d thought about it, there had been Talia, a few passing fancies in the years between, some had even actually resulted in some level of intimacy beyond mutual pining. But never had he put on something nice, and gone out to dinner with a woman. In fact, the entire notion sounded absurd.

The fine pair of black pants he’d bought, the matching shirt which was of course, absent any buttons, the shoes that went with them, they all seemed ridiculous. Where was the practicality? What was the point? He was a Jedi, not a bird flapping around and flashing its bright feathers to attract a mate. And what would dinner accomplish? What was any of it really for? Was she messing with him?

Cale took in a deep breath, and pulled on the long brown coat he’d done two cargo runs to afford, awkwardly fastening the garment around him and tried to accept the simple fact that he was nervous.

Standing on the outside of a restaurant he’d have never eaten at, wearing clothes he’d never choose, Cale lamented the stimsticks he’d left in the temporary quarters he’d taken for his brief trip to Coruscant. He doubted she wanted to smell that on his breath, and the more time he spent without them, the more he didn’t want to smell it either.

Cale only hoped she didn’t think he look too off, after all he’d finally shaved.

Maeve Linahan Maeve Linahan

VVVDHjr.png
Maeve still couldn't believe she'd agreed to this.

A date? It should've been impossible, and yet here she was, dressed in a gown the color of deep emerald, hair loose at her back, ruby earrings shivering against her neck. She felt overdressed. She felt naked.

Perhaps she should've come wearing armor.

Maeve sighed. That wasn't right. She and Cale had agreed to meet at a cozy restaurant in the upper end of Coruscant, not on the battlefield. She was to come as ordinary Maeve, not a Jedi Knight.

The point of a date was to look presentable, and that's what she did. It just felt so strange. She never did things like this. She had never gone on a date, nor done anything even remotely romantic with anyone before.

But again, here she was.

She took a moment to collect herself, hiding around the corner, but the moment she turned, she found Cale already waiting outside the restaurant. He wore a startlingly fine suit, polished shoes, and by Ashla's Light, he had shaved. He looked nothing like the gruff man she had crash-landed with just last week. He was a completely different person.

No matter. It was now or never. Drawing in a short breath, Maeve crept up behind him. Her steps were light, silent, and he probably wouldn't have noticed her until he felt two of her fingers jab him roughly in the back.

"You shaved and you're early," she told him. "Who are you and where is Cale Gunderson?"

“Crammed in carbonite, you’ll be joining him soon. Quite the bounty for a couple of Jedi fools.” Cale answered dryly, flashing half a smile. The beard he’d relied on to camouflage his flushing cheeks before now gone, the flash of red was now plainly visible.

He’d always known Maeve cleaned up well, the first time they met his eyes had lingered far longer than was professional, but they’d done that even when she had been drenched and stinking of sea water. Cale had always gotten away with it before, but no longer. Maeve was going to read him like a book the whole night though, he was sure of that.

“You look nice, last time I saw you in a dress like that we both left with some fresh scars. I’m not in danger am I?” He teased, not that he would’ve minded some danger to distract himself from the tightness in his chest.

Cale didn’t know what to say. He could mention that Denth was settling in well on Tython, or that he’d gotten aid packages out to the site of their last venture, or he could just ask her how she was. All seemed viable and unviable simultaneously, so Cale defaulted to the simplest option.

“Wanna head in?” Cale cocked his head to the entrance sheepishly.

"Don't worry," she told him. "If danger shows up, I'll protect you."

Maeve patted his shoulder and, smirking, turned to face the restaurant. It was a two-story affair, with classical architecture and a balcony draped in flowering vines. Far too pretty for Coruscant, but this was the upper district after all, where they were least likely to be interrupted by Sith Lords or petty criminals. It seemed safe enough.

"Heading inside actually sounds like a great idea. And here I was thinking we should stand outside and wait until the skin sloughed off our bones."

Another sarcastic smile, and Maeve strode confidently to the restaurant doors.

She had read a study from the temple archives that two partners often locked arms when walking together on a date, and easy as it would've been to offer hers to Cale, she didn't want to be led around like a blind old woman. No, she would do the leading.

The entrance doors slid open as she neared, and instantly Maeve was met by a wall of sweet smells, sounds, and glittering lights. The inside was a hundred times more extravagant than the restaurant outside, boasting rich red carpets and pale crystal chandeliers.

It felt like she'd just walked into a palace.

"Well," Maeve murmured to Cale. "When I asked Amani and Alicio for decent restaurants in the area, I didn't quite expect this." Then again, the couple were now Queen and King of Alderaan. Why wouldn't they have dined at a place so luxurious? "I hope you don't mind."

“Oh lucky me.” Cale grinned back, answering her barbs in kind. “Well, if you’re sure about skipping on the skin sloughing, then I suppose we have no choice.” Some part of Cale would’ve preferred simply wasting away outside, at least then he couldn’t embarrass himself too terribly. Alas he would have to brave the indoors.

He followed on her heels, but when they came through the doors Cale found himself frozen in place for a few heartbeats. The lights, the gold, the excess, it all felt so wrong for him. He wasn’t meant for places like this, Cale lived in grimy saloons and cramped barracks, ate at the galleys of warships and from half-heated MREs. The galaxy had never meant for a man like him to be in a place like this, yet there he was.

“You asked who?” Cale asked, coming back to reality. “The Organas?” He hadn’t known Maeve to rub shoulders with royalty, but as he raised a brow he realized that was the entire point of this exercise - to get to know her.

“I’ll live. Maybe.” Cale feigned a grimace, though he only held it for a half-second. He thought to put a hand on her back when a host droid came to guide them to their table, but thought better of it. They were led into the dining space, to a table made from wood that likely cost more to harvest than he’d ever had in his entire life, and instructed to sit.

Cale pulled out a seat, and before he could try and sit, looked to Maeve.

“All yours.” He said with a smile, pretending like he’d meant to pull it for her all along.

"Of course I asked the Organas," Maeve said. "Who else?"

She smirked as the droid host ushered them to their reserved table. "I met them before their marriage—Amani, at least. She was the first person I truly considered a friend. Of course, it took some time to warm up to Alicio, but he surprised me. Back then, I'd thought all men were morons. Turns out, only most of them are."

A joke. Or was it? She didn't make it easy for him to tell.

As they arrived at their table, made from lacquered wood and set with silver cutlery and wine glasses rimmed with gold, Maeve watched as Cale offered her a seat. Normally, she would've rolled her eyes and found her own chair to sit in, but she'd also read in the temple archives that this was another dating tradition. Chivalry, or something like that? She didn't know.

Maeve pursed her lips and shuffled between Cale and the table, smoothing the skirt of her dress as she settled down into the cushioned seat.

"Thank you," she said, but after a moment, she looked up at him with a glint in her eye. "Are you also going to fold my napkin over my lap, or are you going to sit?"

"I didn't know you were rubbing shoulders with royalty, that's all. Thought you might bite their heads off." Cale teased, chuckling at the remark about his own sex. If the whole of the galaxy's males were looking for Cale to defend their honor, they were going to be thoroughly disappointed. After all, when it came to moronic behavior, he considered himself something of a leading expert in the field.

When she took her seat, Cale made a mental note that at least that custom wasn't something the masters at the library had made up out of boredom. Why the Jedi had any texts on dating was beyond him, it was rare to see one of their own in a lasting relationship with someone outside the order, and when it did happen the pairs had dynamics so unconventional that it would've made no difference if they both wore the robes or not. It just wasn't something they had time for, at least he never had.

"If I start putting things in your lap, we're gonna get kicked out of this place, Maeve; you're on your own there." Cale answered bluntly, his expression deadpan as he pulled out his own chair and sat, trying to hide the upward curve at the corners of his lips. Without the beard, he didn't do that good of a job. Her thanking him for anything was still strange, usually reserved for more extreme incidents, like a blocked blade or a punched Rancor.

"So, did your royal friends mention what they serve here?"

She cocked an eyebrow at his lap remark. Frankly, she had no idea what he meant. Had that been an innuendo? More teasing? For Skywalker's sake, she really should've done more studying in the archives on this 'dating' stuff, it was beyond confusing.

No matter. She needed to focus on the next phase of this date: small talk.

Maeve tugged at the collar of her dress, finding it terribly itchy. "I have no idea what Amani or Alicio would suggest. They just gave me the restaurant name and told me it was worth looking into, so I did. Now, if we had menus, then maybe—"

"Good evening!" said a bubbly voice, and as if on cue, two menus fell right onto the table before Maeve and Cale. "How are we doing tonight?"

Maeve turned to see a dark-haired waitress with freckled cheeks and a blinding smile, pretty enough to be royalty herself, carrying a bottle of red wine. "Sorry for the wait, been a little busy tonight, but my name's Raya! Let me be the first to welcome you both to The Imperial Spice, the finest restaurant in Level 5120. Either of you care for some of our classic vintage?"

Maeve blinked, deadpan as usual. "Sure."

Raya hummed, pouring her a glass, then turned to Cale with an even brighter smile. "How about you, handsome? Wine? Or would I interest you in some scotch? Spotchka? Whiskey?"

"Yeah menus would probably be nic-," Cale's words caught in his throat as the menus seemed to appear from nowhere, and a too-sweet voice interrupted the Jedi's back and forth. He didn't quite grit his teeth, but Cale came close. Maybe it was the overly endearing tone, maybe it was that in order to land a job at a place like this, the waitress must've been good at faking it with people. Either way, she bothered Cale more than any frontier barkeep who'd spat in his face ever had, and now he had to pretend.

The handsome remark won poor Raya no favors, only a blank stare from the Jedi Master, who looked to Maeve for a moment and raised an eyebrow. He'd be lying if he said he understood what Maeve saw in him, half-crippled burnouts, no matter how gifted of a fighter they were, weren't what he thought anyone's idea of attractive was, but she knew him at least. It was a fact that should have made things worse, but it was the only explanation he had. Raya had no such excuse, and so he chalked up the remark to empty flattery meant to earn a generous tip.

"I'll have what she's having, thanks." He answered curtly, before turning his attention away from the waitress and back to the green-clad Jedi for whom he'd bothered getting shaving. "Have you ever been on one of these before by the way? A date, I mean."

"Wonderful," said Raya, pouring Cale another glass. "I'll give you two a minute to decide on what to order. Just remember, our special tonight is roasted porg!"

Maeve watched as the waitress sailed away from their table, leaving the two blissfully—and awkwardly—alone. She wasn't quite sure what to tell Cale at his question, so she swirled her glass of wine, staring at her reflection in the deep shade of red.

"Well," she told him. "Not really."

Her eyes flicked up to meet his. "I never had the time. Never bothered with it. Never liked the thought of leashing myself to someone else." She gave a half-apologetic shrug. "I'm a Jedi Shadow, and it's in the shadows where I'm most myself."

She hesitated. "I also have a habit of scaring off interested parties."

Maeve didn't want to say the quiet part out loud—that she thought romance was a waste, relationships a burden, and attachments a distraction. She always felt there were better things to do than date or fall in love. Killing Sith, for example.

But Cale had been different. He didn't flinch at her glares or sneer when she gave an order, and he made her smile. Worse, he made her laugh, and not many people could do that.

She grimaced. Gods, had she always been this sentimental?

Maeve resisted the urge to down her entire glass. "What about you? Don't tell me this is your first time being invited to a fancy restaurant—and don't lie. I'll be more insulted if you do."

Cale gave the waitress an appreciative nod, then turned his gaze back to Maeve without another word. The lack of dates was a surprise, he wasn't usually surprised. He figured that with the Shadow work, she might've at least had to go undercover and fake it with some smug autocrat. Or maybe that some other scoundrel might have worked up the courage to ask her out. She had an edge to her, but who didn't? If Maeve truly had frightened off any with an interest, Cale supposed that was their loss.

"Well, Miss At Home In Shadows, I don't scare easy," he said with a smug smile. Why does it have to be a leash though? You and I both know the work gets lonely. Maybe it'd be nice to have someone else out there—provided they don't fly through a lightning storm or something crazy." The speculation in his voice gave away his own inexperience, which should've been more embarrassing than it was.

Cale had lived years pretending to be someone else even after he'd been freed from the shackles of the Sith, tried to be normal, but he was always too closed off for anything serious. Then there had been Aleks, and war, and her. Where was he meant to have time to build something with someone? Before it all there had been a chance he supposed, but he doubted she wanted to hear.

"It is most certainly my first time being invited to a fancy restaurant, you know what I look like usually, I'd never make it through the door." Cale found himself laughing, he did that a lot with her. That was good, wasn't it?

"I haven't been on any dates either, timing was never right, and ten years locked in your own head tends to fray the ability to be at all charming." Before then, he'd just been too nervous, but the past was the past.

"I don't know why I think of it as a leash," Maeve admitted. "Relationships come with baggage—more things to carry, another person to worry over—being a Jedi can be lonely work, but maybe that's how it's supposed to be."

"One less distraction. One less life to risk when you make a mistake. One less person to leave behind in case you…" She cleared her throat. "You get my point."

Maeve had heard stories about loved ones being torn apart during war or battle. She knew Valery's family, her children, were constantly at risk by Sith seeking to cut her where it hurt deepest, all because she was a Jedi Master. Maeve didn't need a burden like that. She didn't need more weaknesses for her enemies to exploit.

Still, she'd heard good things, too. She had seen the warmth on Amani's face when she played in the snow with Alicio and her children. She had heard the joy in Valery's voice when she spoke about Kahlil. She had felt Brandyn's heart speed up when he danced with Cybelle in a crowded ballroom. Love was strange, powerful and mysterious. Like the Force.

And it didn't make any fucking sense.

Maeve stared at Cale as he went on, the crystal light of a chandelier catching in his eye, jaw cut like glass, a thread of hair hanging over his face. Her mind wandered.

"Alright," she said, taking another sip of wine. "You say you've never been on a date before, but surely you've… you know… with other people, right?"

Maeve left the implication hanging. Just hinting towards the subject made her feel vulgar, though on the other hand, perhaps that wasn't the best question to follow up with…

“I used to think the same thing, it’s a kinda miserable way to live.” Cale could still recall the hollow feeling he’d carried inside him across the frontier. He’d lived a dozen lies, under half as many names, everyone around him had been an impermanent fixture, destined to be forgotten or otherwise erased from his life. It had all changed when a thrice-damned runt of a pickpocket got himself in trouble with one of the Sith Empire’s inquisitors. “People can be distractions sure, but they can also watch your back, save your ass from a stray blaster shot, or a rampaging rancor, that sorta stuff. Plus good company is an invaluable resource.” He shrugged, a small smile on his lips.

“Do I distract you Maeve?” He was teasing again, Cale just couldn’t help himself. He saw the way love could bind people, and not just romantic stuff. His life had been lesser without Aleks in it, and was lesser now that his brother had passed on. Once he’d thought it was a waste of time looking for people worth caring about, now Cale had a hard time finding one’s who weren’t. At least within the order.

She didn’t let him keep his smug attitude long, pressing him with a deep question after a deeper drink. Cale didn’t balk, but he did sip from his own wine before he bothered attempting to answer.

“I mean-, well,” Wasn’t it wrong to talk about that on a date? Would it upset her? Would the look in her eyes go from curiosity to jealousy? “A few, nothing serious. Just heated moments and all. Had a whole longing stares and unspoken feelings thing with a girl I was a Padawan with, but who doesn’t?”

He’d tried to kill her, that part wasn’t as common an experience.

“What about you?”

"Don't flatter yourself, Cale. You're more a nuisance than a distraction."

Another smirk floated to Maeve's lips. If he wanted to keep teasing her, fine. Two could play at that game. She could do it all night. Regular conversation, though? Not so easy.

Maeve shouldn't have been surprised by his answer—of course he'd have flirted around or messed with other women—but still, she lifted an eyebrow, half-curious to hear more and half-tempted to down more wine. Was she jealous? Certainly not. Absolutely not. She was just a little surprised, was all. Nothing more to it.

"Right," Maeve said. "Well, we all have to start somewhere."

She thumbed through her menu, which served as the perfect excuse not to look Cale in the eyes as she told him, "I've had my fair share of dealings, too. Nothing special or worth mentioning, but I know what you mean."

She didn't. Every word Maeve said was a bare-faced lie, because she had never done anything even remotely close to intimate before. For Skywalker's sake, Cale had been her first real kiss. She didn't know the first thing about intimacy.

Not that he needed to know. She'd read enough books on the subject, courtesy of the temple archives and a few... novels. Couldn't be so different from the real thing, could it?

Maeve opened her mouth to go on, but as if on cue, the waitress returned, and thank the Force she did. Maeve was ready to bury that conversation in an early grave.

"I'm back!" Raya said cheerfully. "Have we decided on what we want to order now?" Little pen in hand, she bit the end and smiled at Cale. "What about you, sir? Anything catch your eye?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom