Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Anniversary of Retconning the Expanded Universe

For me, the EU was mostly a big pile of trash with some good stories popping up here and there. (Mostly all in the Old Republic era) I've liked what they've done so far, no complaints from me.

I'd say there were goods and bads.

Bads: A lot of the EU material we loved in the books and comics will likely never come to the screen. I.E. The Vong, Cade Skywalker, The Fel Imperium, Imperial Knights, and more. At least they are not guaranteed a spot in the EU.

Good: A new slate where we can experience a whole new galaxy that will hold any and everything we could hope for. While we all loved the EU now there is chance for more EU to enjoy. Also a chance for EU and canon to become one.

Samka Derith said:
And, yes, I too despise the Yuuzhan Vong. They reeked of Mary Sue villains and the implication that Palpatine built the Galactic Empire and all the horrible things it did all to save the galaxy from a future Vong invasion. Completely undermines The Emperor's character and motivation as the franchise's ultimate bad guy

While I did not hate the Vong per se, I agree with this a lot. Palpatine didn't build the empire and commit atrocities to 'make the galaxy safe from Vong barbarians'.

Samka Derith said:
Here's a question: why do some people have such a problem with Mandalorians becoming pacifist? Cultures are not static, they shift and change and adapt. Less than 100 years ago, Japan had a culture which held warfare in high regard. Today it is one of the most pacifist nations on the planet. It makes perfect sense that most Mandalorians would favour a different path after getting repeatedly crushed and driven to a point of near extinction due to their warmongering ways.

This, too. Cultures aren't unchanging monoliths. Another good example is Germany. Let's just say it changed a lot after losing two world wars, being occupied, partitioned and split in two states for several decades.

[member="Samka Derith"]

On the whole I'm largely indifferent to the change. There was some EU stuff I liked, and plenty I did not care for. I suspect it will be similar with the new canon. It does not affect the way I write my characters.

We're 800 years past any 'canon' and there was a Dark Age to reset things. So realistically a lot of information would have been lost or been muddled and twisted, which allows both continuities to 'coexist'. The only people with very detailed information about what occured millennia ago would be droids who lived through these times, very scholarly types or people who were either extremely long-lived, body-hopped, were put in stasis and so on and so forth (and all can be unreliable narrators or simply get facts wrong).

LittlePeach said:
On April 25, 2014, Lucasfilm Ltd. announced that in preparation for the upcoming sequel trilogy, the Expanded Universe would be retconned

LittlePeach said:
what is everyone's thoughts on this?

kTrwOE5.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom