Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction And One More For the Road | GA Senators

"The role of Chancellor is a challenging one to fill, however, my preference would lean towards an individual with minimal commitments elsewhere. While Alicio Organa may be a popular choice for many, his close ties to the Monarchy may hinder his suitability for the position."

Sycorax sucked thoughtfully on her cough drop. "Hinder, perhaps, but not disqualify."

Then Natasi butted in:

"I hate to throw cold water on such a festive occasion as a coup, but Chancellor Denko-Durren isn't Chancellor because of her good looks and charm. She knows this game better than most, and she plays it to win."

Sycorax just let her talk. Her voice was hoarse; might as well only speak when necessary.

"At any rate, don't you think it's in bad taste to capitalize on this situation, now? There are other ways to protest if you feel so strongly about it. Senator Gracin may be able to use a hand loading the artillery, for instance."

"I certainly wouldn't nominate you for the chancellorship," Sycorax deadpanned, black lips curling in a smile. "We're simply having a conversation. In an ideal galaxy, who would you want to be the next leader of the Alliance, Senator Fortan? What about you, Senator Organa and Senator Grimmin?"

AND ONE MORE FOR THE ROAD
vKSkm56.png

Alicio Organa Alicio Organa Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan Rens Ahim Rens Ahim G0TT0 G0TT0 Lucas Gracin Lucas Gracin Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux

Lodd remained unfazed by the abrupt change in discourse, as it steered towards a rather disconcerting subject for the Trade Federation of Planets regarding the provision of aid to individuals confined within the territories of the Dark Empire and the citizens of the Alliance. The idea of redistributing currency and supplies to the general populace was sufficient to elicit a visible expression of repugnance on the Minister's face.

Although it seemed that King Alicio Organa Alicio Organa appeared to have overlooked the fact that he was conversing with a megaconglomerate whose primary objective was to accumulate wealth and dominate trade across the galaxy, without any intention of reciprocating unless it served their own interests. He would listen for just a brief moment, as the trio joined Senator G0TT0 G0TT0 of Bilbringi and Senator Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux of Dahrtag nearby.

Senator Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan imparted insightful commentary on the endeavor to replace the chancellor amidst times of war, emphasizing that her longevity in office was not solely attributed to public popularity, but rather to her adept understanding of the political framework, allowing her to effortlessly maintain her position.

"We are eager to assist in any relief initiatives, however, it appears that our financial resources are currently limited." The Neimoidian said, offering an valid excuse to avoid contributing to such an effort. Glancing over to Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux once more as they asked an interesting question on who the Minister would like to see on the Chancellor's Podium.

"I am inclined to support someone who values free commerce and trade" He said, offering a quick glance around.

Last edited:

Lucas Gracin

Excelsus of the Howlaw Court
Sycorax's veiled insult was plain to hear in her voice, and in response the Howlaw excelsus couldn't help but smile. "Comparing me to a man who stopped a genocidal tyrant, and resurrected billions including my own family? Senator, I'm touched." She and and Senator Feuergeir could speak all they wanted about how his people were too zealous. He fought for what was right, because he had seen what was wrong. And while he would drop the matter for the sake of diplomacy, he had been around long enough to know that Ideals were not corruptible. Only the people who professed them were.

The arguments in favor of his continued survival however, were far more compelling, and he raised his hands in a sign of concession. "Mister Grimmin, you've a fair point in that our deaths could stoke a fire. I believe however, that I may be worth such a sacrifice. My people rarely reach old age, indeed we prefer to go out in blazes of glory and literally can't help but jump to the defense of others. And if you believe I offer my life in protest, you're mistaken. Six centuries is a long time to live, and I'm nearing my seventh. The Valde's loss would be a blow. I have three Magni eager to replace me, and the spirits of the wilds whom I'm eager to join some day." He took a long sip of his drink, washing away any dryness that might've been caused by his, perhaps longwinded, explanation. "That being said, I look forward to seeing seven hundred. I didn't fly myself out of a jail cell to be felled by some two bit imperial with delusions of grandeur."

The question of who might replace the current chancellor, if indeed, such a measure was necessary, was certainly an interesting one. What's more, the young Organa's name being thrown in the mix was quite the interesting development, though Lucas seemed to remember having recently attended his coronation. Human politics certainly moved fast. "Refugees cause an influx of population on unprepared planets. That causes problems. Its our job to fix those planets as they arrive. If we can successfully ease such burdens, then perhaps the people will be more likely to be more understanding of our desires to stay unsilenced. Of course, having our own feet in the mud might also help. We might not all be the type to pick up blasters, but a basket of bread can't be too heavy."

Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan Alicio Organa Alicio Organa Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux G0TT0 G0TT0

skin, bone, and arrogance
Natasi's smile broadened, brightened and she inclined her head toward Sycorax as if she had received a great boon from the beehive-haired Senator. "I do appreciate the thought, Senator, and shall hold you to your pledge to keep my name out of things," the Senator from Aegis said, her tone pleasant. "The levers of power can be heavy, and I can assure you that leading another galactic superpower is not something I aspire to. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I've served my sentence -- done my bit -- twice."

Her smile turned knowing, her head tilting, almost a sympathetic gesture. "If you should ever find yourself in a position of real authority you'll understand that it is quite as much burden as it is privilege."

Natasi Fortan didn't have to worry about being pressed into service as Alliance Chancellor. One Imperial as Chancellor ought to be enough for one lifetime, anyway.

Turning her attention back to the important matters of refugee influxes and everyone doing their bit. "The Renascent Republic stands ready to settle refugees. We have much essentially limitless open spaces. The bottleneck will be processing, but we are making efficiencies in that regard and I'm sure that if we put our heads together we can develop some kind of system to expedite and streamline the process -- and, of course, keep it safe."

Natasi glanced at her wristwatch. Close enough. "Carlo?" she asked the bartender after draining her coffee. "A G&T, if you'd be so kind."

"What I would give for seven hundred years..." Alicio pondered, letting a shallow smile towards Lucas light his features. What great goods could he accomplish? What multigenerational projects could he directly oversee... shape, into systems set in the strongest of stone...?

Of course, it was Sycorax that attempted to bring him into the conversation on his second succession, in so many months. He was loath to participate, especially considering his name had already been volunteered.

So instead of responding immediately, the Alderaanian senator stewed on his possible response, giving the Trade Federation delegate and the Senator from Dahrtag a thoughtful look. Should he respond earnestly? Or dodge the question entirely?

He decided to give cautious honesty a shot, letting shaded eyes turn to Senator Laveaux. "I would hope that whoever receives the Chancellery will help guide the Alliance through this new war... But I don't observe anyone to be a perfect fit. We're all too connected, too busy, or too..." He pondered his word choice. "...self-interested."

"It's a task of finding the one who will grow into the role given to them, and who will draw on the strengths of our democracy to see us through. That person has my vote."
It was the most diplomatic way of saying 'I don't have a clue who will lead the Alliance'. That certainly included himself.

"If you should ever find yourself in a position of real authority you'll understand that it is quite as much burden as it is privilege."

Alicio found a bitter smile at that. He'd certainly felt that burden, ever since picking up the Chalcedony Star.

"I've found half the battle is finding places willing to take on the responsibility of hosting," he finally said, with a nod towards Natasi. "I used to manage refugee cities, before becoming a Senator. I understand how difficult it can be to vet just the residents of one settlement, much less a drive such as this. But... I think we could do it."

"If the Renascent Republic is interested in leading the charge of hosting and housing, Alderaan can certainly cover a lion's share of transportation and medical supplies. We have some new super-carriers designed just for this purpose. We'll just need someone to help jumpstart their food production,"
he said, his eyes flicking towards the Senator from Veradune, "Someone with a frugal mind to help organize the economies of these cities," he said, with a look towards the Trade Federation Representative, "And perhaps we tie it up with the backing of someone who just passed a very influential bill through the senate, and rake in some additional revenue?" He sent a wayward smirk at Sycorax.

"Any idea where we might find those?"

- Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan - Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux - Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin - Lucas Gracin Lucas Gracin - Rens Ahim Rens Ahim - G0TT0 G0TT0 -

"Comparing me to a man who stopped a genocidal tyrant, and resurrected billions including my own family? Senator, I'm touched."

Senator was pondering whether she ought to just go home and take a nap while Gracin continued to yap about himself, his Valde, their planet and achievements.

"What I would give for seven hundred years..."

"I suggest becoming a zombie," Sycorax muttered dryly. "Then you can be a workaholic indefinitely."

"I am inclined to support someone who values free commerce and trade."

She wasn't surprised by Lodd Grimmin's answer. In fact, no one was. The corpos may have been mustache-twirlers, but at least they were as predictable as the weather on a climate-controlled planet.

"I do appreciate the thought, Senator, and shall hold you to your pledge to keep my name out of things. The levers of power can be heavy, and I can assure you that leading another galactic superpower is not something I aspire to. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I've served my sentence -- done my bit -- twice. If you should ever find yourself in a position of real authority you'll understand that it is quite as much burden as it is privilege."

Sycorax resisted the urge to cough in her direction, instead aiming for the inside of her elbow. She had learned something about Natasi Fortan during the debate over the Equal Rights Act: the pompous old Supreme Whatever needed only to be allowed to speak freely, and she would dig her own grave. She talked like an Imperial, walked like an Imperial, and really was still every inch the Imperial.

That said, Sycorax often wished the phrase "shut up, Imperial scum" was permissible in the Assembly. Some day it might be worth the censure, but for now, the Senator of Aegis didn't warrant the wasted breath.

"I would hope that whoever receives the Chancellery will help guide the Alliance through this new war... But I don't observe anyone to be a perfect fit. We're all too connected, too busy, or too... self-interested."

"It's a task of finding the one who will grow into the role given to them, and who will draw on the strengths of our democracy to see us through. That person has my vote."

Sycorax found it in her to smile a little bit. She'd not yet taken to the airwaves voicing her support for the King of Alderaan, but it had been in the back of her mind ever since he launched his political career. If anyone deserved to become Chancellor, it was him—and she didn't say that just because she liked his fashion sense.

Everyone else in the Senate had skeletons in their closets (provided they stood out enough to warrant consideration in the first place). But Alicio's hangups amounted to being a sad orphan. While his inner child might need an occasional hug, he was the most well-adjusted individual in the Senate today. Being King of Alderaan could serve to prep him for ruling the free galaxy... provided they had time to wait for him to warm up to the idea.

"... And perhaps we tie it up with the backing of someone who just passed a very influential bill through the senate, and rake in some additional revenue?" He sent a wayward smirk at Sycorax.

Lost in thought, Sycorax sensed she was being smirked at and swiveled to stare back at him. "Are you asking me to participate in your refugee-saving side hustle—without having to house them on my own planet?" A venture she always refused, mainly because it would be colossally stupid. After their little misadventure on Dahrtag, Alicio could probably figure out why.

skin, bone, and arrogance
Natasi watched Alicio with a measure of interest, two measures of admiration, and half a measure of skepticism. Tying together a coalition as disparate as the one he was proposing wouldn't be easy. The Trade Federation was just about as corrupt as one could be while staying even plausibly on the side of the law, and Senator Laveaux was... Senator Laveaux. Natasi had more faith in a Hutt's slimming regimen than she did in Dahrtag's Senator intentionally doing something productive.

Then again, Natasi thought generously, there was a first time for everything.

Still, best not to leave these things to chance, especially on a matter of critical importance. "More funding is always better, and I'm... certain that's a sound plan," Natasi told Alicio diplomatically. "But it would be prudent to be funded from other sources as well. I am prepared to commit extensive funding. And if there's something people like the group of us is good for, it's fundraising. And the more publicly, the better. Like I said, this -- " She gestured toward the window where a freighter was taking off, laden with Senate paraphernalia, rumbling the complex. " -- this is going to play badly, even in Alliance press. Like it or not, this is going to be a war fought with propaganda as much as it will be fought with starships and blasters and lightsabers. The more we can show the people what we're doing for them -- and not just to win re-election -- the better."

Natasi took a sip of her drink, then set it down. "Do you think there ought to be a SELCORE presence on location?" she asked Alicio? "To make things easier to coordinate, and -- I suppose -- oversee matters?" It was why she had proposed the establishment of the committee in the first place, and if they could stop unscrupulous corporations sneaking their hands in the cookie jar, all the better.

At his table Rens got the caf cups and listened to the back and forth while sitting quietly with his adopted daughter Iona. For the most part Bestine's representative had been emotionally exhausted by the earlier argument that Iona and him had. While still very much angry with her, Rens Ahim wanted to spend this amount of time with his daughter, however headstrong she is. They just sat and silently drank their drinks before Rens heard the plan to help with the refugees.

Hearing the plan to help with the refugees Rens spoke up.

"Bestine will take as many as possible and support through ships and supplies."

Pausing for a few moments the Mon Calamari added.

"I'll be overseeing evacuation efforts at Level 1313"

Immediately the Twi'lek teenager declared.

"We'll be there."

"No you are not Iona! You're getting on the next available shuttle I find."

He immediately retorted, pointing his right hand toward her. Iona glared back saying.

"Father, you can't risk yourself while making me go. I know how to do volunteer work. I can help."

"Young lady, you are going to leave and that's final."

Sighing heavily again Rens rubbed his head with the left hand while Iona looked sideways in frustration. She was a crusader at heart and admired her courage but it will be harder to focus with Iona in danger. Realizing their family drama just played out in front of the senators, Rens composed himself before gesturing to Iona.

"Pardon us our family discussion Colleagues. This is Iona Ahim, my oldest daughter."

Iona glanced over to all of them, a little embarrassed that they saw and heard all that. Clearing her throat the seventeen year old Twi'lek waved at them with her right hand.

"Uh…hi everyone."

Last edited:

Lucas Gracin

Excelsus of the Howlaw Court
Lucas grinned back at the young Organa, his tail swishing back and forth as he saw the wheels in the young man's head turning. "I know a man who might be able to make that possible. Though I doubt the risks are worth it. Not to mention, you humans are terrifyingly efficient as it is. Make the best of a hundred. You might do better than I have, considering I spent several of those centuries hiding in the woods." He took another sip of his drink, thinking for a moment on that terrifying efficiency. Veradune would always be around to protect the galaxy, but it would be shorter lived people like this who innovated and changed it for the better.

"Its a difficult thing to balance logic with morale. The people know that the senate isn't there to literally fight their wars. But they want to see that we aren't afraid, and people don't evacuate unless they expect bad things on their door step."
He heaved a small sigh and ordered a refill of his drink, his ears flicking at the conversation between the mon calamari and twi'lek.

To find that the pair were father and daughter was certainly a surprise, though he made an effort to not let that bemusement show on his face. "A pleasure to meet you miss Iona," he greeted, lifting his glass. "I think its a rather important discussion to be had, politician's family or no. Miss Iona, war is a dangerous thing, and I admire your devotion to aiding others. That said, if Bestine is willing to take refugees, perhaps a safer, more logistical role could be an answer. You get to aid in the effort. Your father gets to not have a heart attack every time he thinks of you." He glanced up at Senator Ahim, his golden eyes seeking some hope of forgiveness in case he had overstepped. Still, it was an issue that he was rather close to and hoped to aid with. If not for an actual miracle, he would still be a man grieving for his own lost family, daughters included. Was, as he had said, was a dangerous thing. And losing a child to it was a pain he wished on no one.

The Trade Federation Minister exchanged quick glances outdoors while the transports were being loaded punctually, their cargo consisting of documents that were meant to be kept hidden from the scrutiny of the Federal Assembly. He was only partially engaged in the ongoing conversation, contemplating the direction in which the Commanding Viceroy was leading the organization, as they had become entangled with various factions in order to recover financially should the Galactic Alliance collapse suddenly and without warning.

Senator Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan and King Alicio Organa Alicio Organa were engaged in a discussion about refugees and their accommodation. The Organa family had always been a contentious presence in the senate, and now they were seeking support from the Trade Federation, known for their avarice. Senator Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux appeared to be in favor of this proposal to establish cities on board super-carriers, leaving himself as the sole dissenter.

"While I cannot offer my assistance in my capacity, as the represenative of the Trade Federation. I could manage to wrangle some much-needed capital through the Neimoidian Trade Monarchy under our venerable Queen Bummuy Queen Bummuy , although you would have to speak to her directly." Lodd ignored the remarks from Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan who was happy to expunge the corporation from more influence, by mentioning SELCORE. The Trade Monarchy of Neimoidia would be more than happy to provide assistance, although the Federation would not.

Senator of Mechis III

0blCdhM.png

Location: Senate Rotundra, Coruscant | Tag: Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin Rens Ahim Rens Ahim Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan Alicio Organa Alicio Organa Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux
The Bilbringi Senator maintained his silence as Senator Sycorax Laveaux disregarded the concerns regarding King Alicio Organa's suitability for the position of Chancellor, citing his obligations to the Alderaan Monarchy.

While this dismissal troubled him, as Organa would prioritize the ideals of the Alderaan People over considering the broader perspective when making crucial choices, he was willing to withdraw his opposition if Organa were to be elected as Auteme's replacement, although the likelihood of such an outcome was low.

The discussion swiftly shifted towards the establishment of a relief coalition among the various worlds comprising the expansive Galactic Alliance. Undoubtedly, this proposition held a certain level of intrigue, yet it would be met with resistance from the individuals representing the Bilbringi Shipyards. As they would priortize financial gain over responsiblity, and as such would be unwilling to endorse such an initiative without compensation.

"Although I am unable to provide any aid from the standpoint of the Bilbringi Shipyards, I am able to contribute using my own personal funds if you shall need more assistance in establishing such cities." Albrecht offered a soft smile towards King Alicio Organa Alicio Organa , wanting to contribute in some way without involving his corporate overlords that had elected him in the first place.

Last edited:

"I suggest becoming a zombie. Then you can be a workaholic indefinitely."

"Don't tempt me," Alicio said, sending a friendly smirk Sycorax's way. The worst part? He was only half-joking.

Of course, Senator Gracin's words after made him reconsider. Alicio listened with a thoughtful frown, humming in agreement as he finished. There was something to be said about working harder with a shorter deadline. He ought to be happy with who he was, what he could do. But that had never stopped him from wanting to do more, be more, in the past.

He'd learned those lessons time and time again, but the temptation was still there.

Senator Laveaux's question was met by another slight smile by the former Count. "All I'd ask for is your endorsement. Nothing more." He remembered how precarious her position was on her home planet.

He could sense Natasi was, rightfully, suspicious of Senator Grimmin's involvement in his first proposal. To be honest, so was he. But he figured the devil you knew was worse than the devil you didn't. The Trade Federation's involvement would have been easy to keep tabs on. "Of course," he said to Natasi, grey eyes sparkling with shared knowledge. "The more diverse the sources of income, the better. And it's a given, I imagine, to have a whole team from SELCORE overseeing the project on-site." So nobody could use the drive as a cover to line their pockets. The Senate didn't need that kind of publicity right now.

Of course, Natasi's concerns were waived as Lodd declined to offer any true assistance on the project. But he offered an avenue. Alicio tilted his head to the side, thinking. "I would be happy to speak with your monarch, Senator Grimmin. The more diverse the sources of income, the better," he repeated, his features lightening. The new Senator Feuergeir's pledge of credits was also noted, as Alicio returned his grin. "Thank you, Senator. That is already more than what is expected of you. But first, we have to get all this off the ground."

Alicio was privy to the... familial spat between Rens and his daughter. Despite the obvious distress of the father, Alicio couldn't stop an amused twinkle from entering his eye. "It's good to meet you, Iona. The galaxy could use more young people like you." Alicio sent a comforting smile Rens' way, hoping to diffuse the tension. She had a good head on her shoulders. He hoped the Mon Calamari could see it.

"But I will say, if August and Liana were your age, and asking to put themselves in danger for others, I would be as hesitant as your old man to let them. You can't blame a father for worrying for their child." He smirked. "Hell, I already worry for them, and the twins are barely forming complete sentences."

- Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan - Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux - Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin - Lucas Gracin Lucas Gracin - Rens Ahim Rens Ahim - G0TT0 G0TT0 -

"Don't tempt me."

She gave him a little schoolmarmish look, half disapproving and half amused. "Perhaps if you went undercover to help me take down the zombie-making business..." But he wouldn't do that. He was too busy with other, more important things. Like saving refugees for the five hundredth time.

Sycorax broke into a sudden coughing fit, quickly turning her head away. The taste of metal filled her mouth. Was that...?

No. It couldn't be. And if it was, no one else could know.

"All I'd ask for is your endorsement. Nothing more."

"You'll have it," she replied softly, her voice raspy and dry. She reached for her tea and fought to keep her hands from trembling as she brought it to her lips. It had gone cold by now.

The noise of the room faded into the background. Natasi provoked Lodd by bringing up SELCORE, while Alicio chatted with Rens about their children. Sycorax met the eyes of her bodyguards, hidden in plain sight. Strange how she could be so well-protected, and yet feel utterly vulnerable.

Without saying another word, she rose from her chair (at least she could still stand) and left the lounge, taking her entourage with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom