Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear Bad Guys - How Evil Are You Really?

Jay Scott Clark said:
Let's give the bad guys some credit.

Some of them aren't really THAT evil. To be fair. (Yes, fair to the bad guys.) Okay. It's actually pretty common around the Dark Side to get a few things right. Scratch that! They get a lot of things right. Here. Let's list them,

• The bad guys can run a pretty fabulous Navy and always have a magical way of opening of new positions for promotion.
  • The bad guys have a pretty good eye for fashion sense. Especially when it comes to trench coats and the color black.
  • The bad guys have a knack for collecting the best technologies ever and don't actually enjoy using slave labor. (It's stinky)
  • The bad guys have an iron fist for keeping public order, always have glamorous restrooms, and enjoying keeping the streets clean for the tourist business. (almost bloodless concrete in the summer time.)

Come on now CHAOS. Can't we just call it like it is? Some of the bad guys around here suck at actually being evil. Nah. They're actually pretty good at their careers, goodly parents, dedicated to their families, donate often, purge seldom, and keep their mass murdering down to a surprisingly small minimum while at the beach. I mean. Sure. Littering might incur the death penalty on most Sith planets. But really? It's a small price to pay for clean sidewalks. Let's be real.

Sharing time.

Q: Dear Bad Guys. (And tell it like it is now.) How evil are you really?
Q: Dear Bad Guys. (And tell it like it is now.) How evil are you really?
​I feel like this question is more "why are you considered evil" than "how evil are you".

So, to answer the former (Kind of a spoiler alert, but nobody is writing with this character or responding to her posts so it probably doesn't matter): Braith wants to make everyone experience the best moments of their life, make them feel so secure, so good, give them everything they will, at the time, feel they ever dreamed of. And then take it all away. It's because she's going to take it all away that she is motivated to do it, it's the feeling of despair and hopelessness and depression that happens at the exact moment that the loss is discovered that fuels her.

Evil for the sake of evil is worse (better?) than evil by happenstance. Rather than be defined as "evil" for going against society's moral compass because of my own moral compass (that for some reason would have felt the act was good/just/etc), Braith instead knows it is bad, realizes the consequences and is fully aware of the impact. Kind of like how a victim in an attempted murder would feel towards their psychotic killer, Braith sees herself. Except she does it anyways, because she chooses to do so knowing that it is wrong. And why is wrong the right choice, here? Because it's the wrong choice everywhere else. There's no further explanation than doing evil in the name of evil.

So, I guess, I'm pretty evil. Maybe not cruel in a direct way (though I did kill a mother of three in order to seduce the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order and succeeded), but in the long run I'm still going to be making the "wrong" choices regardless of whether the Sith or the Jedi are in charge. The kind of dark side that the Jedi talk about that the Sith pretend isn't real. A malevolent force for the sake of malevolence. In a way, you could say I do the dark side's work for the dark side itself, not for personal gain or anything else.

50H31

Seeker of Enlightenment
Evil is a tricky beast to write and create.

Five-oh was originally meant to be a weird anti-villain. He wasn't nice, but he was good. A well-intentioned dictator intent on liberating the hell out of the galaxy. He evolved into a necessary leader and hero. Oddly enough, Nick Sept and Mr. Ash, two other character I intended to play as major villains, instead became heroes in their own right. Go figure.

Jeffar is meant to be awful, but I really haven't used him. My most villainous villain is Olom Grihk. Olom is a Sith with a nearly pacifistic method of conflict resolution. If Kaine ([member="Darth Carnifex"] these days) is a bringer of war and conflict, Olom is in many ways his opposite--a Sith who alters the galaxy by pushing it towards peace and order--harsh order, but order nonetheless--in the gentlest way possible. Olom is evil, and he doesn't necessarily care much about his own morality. His vision, by any amount, is a galaxy that has transcended light and dark, that has evolved past those limitations. If his species can evolve into a bunch of amoral super geniuses, then why can't everything else?

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

Pretty F#cking Evil bro.

97d.gif

Strask is kinda weird. On one hand, he has no problem killing. He's done plenty of it in his time as a spy. Wetwork was part of the job. He can be cruel and brutal to someone he sees as a threat. He's cut and slowly taken apart geonosians to get information, and straight up killing the people who helped him fake his own death. He has no qualms about killing on the job or to save his own hide. He can completely shut down his morals for the mission if he needs to, and has no problem with brutal efficiency.

He also hates senseless slaughter and death, having lost "too many" to such acts. He worked to bring orphans out of the gutters when he was viceroy, and tries to protect his people when he can. He has many regrets, and holds deaths he has caused that he sees as unnecessary against himself.

Is he evil? Maybe, but how do you judge a man?

How I think evil works:

To do something truly evil you'd need to create a character beyond the scope of comprehension - doing so, often, comes across as distasteful. They live in their own little realm with incomprehensible thoughts and, usually, the path to get their is one laden with tragedy; these tragedies are, usually, a reality for some people and are largely misused without any general direction of cause-and-effect. I see it a lot of time, not so much on the board, but in literature and movies, where the villain is evil because "bad things happened."

When you see an excellent villain portrayed in any media, not all of them are evil, per se - there's a distinct difference between being evil and bad; one of the most important factors tends to be an archetypal sacrifice of their identity. Who they once were (think of any truly evil character or figure whose sole purpose was destruction), an integral part of the transition from bad, wherein they operate off of need and instinct, but still maintain a sympathetic character because they are, ultimately, just trying to fufill their desires in some way - just like the rest of us. However, when that fufillment turns into successful self-destruction (Darth Vader losing all he had that tied him to his humanity: his body, his wife, his children, his name, his friends, his mother; you can see this pattern repeating into multiple evil villains, even if you don't know who or what they were before the self-destruction phase: e.g. Sauron, Hannibal Lecter, etc.) in that moment, every aspect of who they are is evil. This is also seen in religious figures (think Lucifer, when he falls from grace), stories (Jack Torrance, how he tries to kill his family), and so forth.

I'll be using Darth Vader as an example from now on, since he was wholly based of Joseph Campbell's archetypes.

However, what distinguishes these figures from simple devil-figure archetypes is the depiction; whether or not you reveal their downfall can help build sympathy towards the character and ultimately change their direction. There are strengths and weaknesses to starting off your character in different stages of the story, whether when they were innocent (what George Lucas attempted in Episode 1 with a young Anakin Skywalker), to when they were attempting to fulfill their needs (what George Lucas attempted in Episode 2 with Anakin trying to control his feelings), to their downfall (obviously an Episode 3 Anakin), and finally the embodiment of evil they've become (when Anakin transforms into Darth Vader). When George Lucas tried to backtrack on his development, by attempting to restart his depiction at the earliest stage, adding sympathy to a character we've held no such feelings for until, in the end, what he had destroyed was returned to him (his son saw him again as Anakin Skywalker and, in the end, Darth Vader had family again - effectively undoing all the destruction he had wrought on himself); ultimately, it didn't work - the entire process of development became unbalanced and even.

By creatively interlocking these stages of development, it isn't simply cliche, because they reflect human nature, and ultimately helps to build a character who is evil but sympathetic. It allows them to be dynamic and thoughtful, but still cruel and dark, kicking puppies and blowing up planets.

However, by starting off a character as evil, you need to be careful if you backtrack; as long as you don't spill the beans all at once. Or, alternatively, you could remove all intent of making them remotely sympathetic - let them be evil as can be, provide minimal reasons - that also works well, provided you have a strong foil (a character whose the opposite of yours - in this case, think of a protagonist) who can carry the weight of two character's worth of sympathies.

In the end, evil works - it's just a matter of tact and understanding the dynamics, how it relates to yourself and others as human beings, as well as being passionate about the portrayal. Evil characters need to be thoroughly evil to maintain the haunting, gravitational pull of despair - again, with Darth Vader; he remained stalwartly evil until the events that led to his self-destruction were undone. That's why, I'd imagine, for a lot of you, it felt kinda cheesy at the end of Episode 3 when he started screaming and crying - he was past that point of development, and clearly felt out of place. In the long run, keep in mind what you want out of your antagonist and stick to it.

That's my thoughts on the subject - I might've been rambling for a good portion of it, but it feels good to get my thoughts out there. Someone might make something of it. ;)

TL;DR - My character isn't evil. He's in the process of becoming evil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom