Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion General Rule #6

It was brought to my attention after making a report that general rule 6

6. Users will not support their own posts with sub-accounts.

Is actually about reactions to your own posts (IE, Like, Love, Ohyeah, the funny faces) and not using alts to push the narrative of your own characters posts. I and others were very much under the impression that it was the later. Suggestion is just to replace the rule with something along the lines of 'Writers will not react to their own posts using sub-accounts' or the like just so there's no confusion on it in the future.

They don't idk why that matters but that's what the rule means.

Or maybe I'm just bad at english and you missed what I was saying I thought the rule meant. Which is alt a: writes a post about something. Alt b: writes a post to support that. Alt c: also writes a post to support that.

Blessed are the peacemakers
Or maybe I'm just bad at english and you missed what I was saying I thought the rule meant. Which is alt a: writes a post about something. Alt b: writes a post to support that. Alt c: also writes a post to support that.

I wrote a storyline a while ago called Into Darkness, where Tulan and Thal had it out, and Tulan was trying to get Thal. I wrote multiple characters in that thread, I played a villain, I played two protagonists. I think there's a time and a place for it.

I think what you're describing is incredibly, incredibly, situationally dependent. If I have Alliance military people, reacting to an Alliance military thread, and they're different characters, different motivations, why shouldn't I write them? I think this is one of those instances where you have to look at it through a very situational lens. If someone is writing multiple characters in a thread or having their own characters interact with each other AND other people's characters, why should we limit that, as a board? What right do we have to tell people that they can't have their characters interact, in a logical and non-powergaming way?

Edit for follow up thoughts:

I trust the staff team, as hand-selected and long-put as they are, to understand when something is done with certain intent and I think this is one of those instances where this situation is so abundantly rare and obvious as to what they are doing, that a report to staff would be fairly well handled. I think the intent of people using different accounts in the same setting is the most important feature here, and it's hard to make a sweeping rule about something that's very rare for most people.

Blessed are the peacemakers
I think that it's fairly clear and applies other things you might able to do for your account or posts as well. I get what you're saying, but the rule is already there. Maybe an addendum for an explanation or an example

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
for the most part having multiple alts in a thread was rarely an issue. if they are doing different things. it is the rare part where you dogpile someone with 2-4 alts for say pvp or way back when there was master votes. If you voted on yourself with your another master character of your own. It is usually like most things on chaos though self regulated by the community and if someone is throwing an army of alts to steamroll or dogpile a singular person they will be called on it.

ᴅᴀʀᴛʜ ᴀɴᴀᴛʜᴇᴍᴏᴜꜱ
what do reactions even do anyway? i know there's a reaction score, but is there actually a point in having it?

yes i agree we should change it to clearly define the rule as being about reactions if that's what it's intended to address. I just also think that reacting to your own posts on purpose is pointless to begin with, unless there is some gain to reaction score that I've missed this whole time lol

Or maybe I'm just bad at english and you missed what I was saying I thought the rule meant.

No I see what you mean now. That was my bad.
I would actually agree with you then. Making Rule #6 less vague would be a great way to clarify i guess. I do think Matsu has a point too with..

It is usually like most things on chaos though self regulated by the community and if someone is throwing an army of alts to steamroll or dogpile a singular person they will be called on it.

If the rule really only refers to reactions, then it is a bit pointless because reactions have no intrinsic meaning or value on the site beyond a vague popularity contest/community tool to gauge interest.

If the rule does refer to making multiple posts with subaccounts in the same thread, it should be assumed that it only applies if the subaccounts are being used in a way that is harmful to other writers, i.e. dogpiling. Posting with subaccounts in a thread to "further the story" is not an example of breaking the rule.

Maybe that should be specified in the rules, based on the confusion displayed in this thread.

I will admit I have accidentally liked my own posts with an alt not even really thinking about it.

I understood this to be along the lines of what Dreidi Xeraic Dreidi Xeraic is saying. Like if there’s an OOC vote, using multiple accounts to run up the tally on your position. And of course dogpiling when it makes no IC-sense, like if you have one character getting beat up so you divert another character engaging in an unrelated action to step in for support. As long as you are transparent, I see no problem having multiple characters involved in the same thread, even with them working together if it makes sense from an IC-perspective. It would be no different than writing an NPC, where you are controlling the actions of your char and the NPC.

But I’m not the rules expert. Just how I understood this.

Is actually about reactions to your own posts (IE, Like, Love, Ohyeah, the funny faces) and not using alts to push the narrative of your own characters posts.

Wrong. Dumb. No Staff member has ever told you this. If they did, they're also wrong and dumb.

They don't idk why that matters but that's what the rule means.

It doesn't.

I never said I agreed with the rule interpretation

That's good, and smart, because the interpretation is wrong and dumb.

Maybe an addendum for an explanation or an example

Unnecessary if people like you stop writing solo with multiple accounts.

for the most part having multiple alts in a thread was rarely an issue. if they are doing different things. it is the rare part where you dogpile someone with 2-4 alts for say pvp or way back when there was master votes. If you voted on yourself with your another master character of your own. It is usually like most things on chaos though self regulated by the community and if someone is throwing an army of alts to steamroll or dogpile a singular person they will be called on it.

I think Matsu has the only based take in this thread because most people are YAWN BORED and avoiding the idiocy that's running rampant in this thread.

what do reactions even do anyway? i know there's a reaction score, but is there actually a point in having it?

I dunno, ask the people directing their factions (Zef) to log into subaccounts to apply more likes so they give a fake sense of greater numbers.

It's lying. I'll ban you for it.

If the rule really only refers to reactions, then it is a bit pointless because reactions have no intrinsic meaning or value on the site beyond a vague popularity contest/community tool to gauge interest.

Doesn't only refer to reaction. Also, this guy literally says likes are pointless but then goes to explain how they're not rotflmao.

What even are you people doing in this thread right now.

I believe the rule was created to avoid people making a post for a suggestion or post a debate and then use their alts to add a load of reacts to make their point seem popular.

Yeah, that's one application for the rule, sure. Again, what is happening. People are in this thread saying "we don't understand this rule" and then go on explaining how the rule works, almost as good as any Admin could, lmao.

What is happening.

I will admit I have accidentally liked my own posts with an alt not even really thinking about it.

You're not going to get assblasted to the moon but you know you can just unlike it, right? Like, just unlike it.

TLDR:

"I don't know why likes exist."

proceeds to mindlessly spam likes down a page without reading posts.

It's 2024. I'm not explaining this to the bad faith argument crowd, nor the "I just will never get it" crowd. You either get it or you don't. Also, that rule's never changing. It's too self-evident to change. It can apply to likes and reacts, and likes and reacts were baked into why it exist, but it's not the only reason it exists. It's not vague. It's generic, open-ended, so I don't have to write 100 rules for every stupid situation players think up.

You are one person. One voice.

If you are using alts to circumvent that or pretend otherwise, in any language (emojis, reacts, english, etc), you are subject to disciplinary action and eventually, expulsion.

A lack of understanding the rules doesn't exempt you from their consequences.

But then my alt account will be sad!

Okay lets fight dumb with dumb then. Let's have your sad account go explain why it's sad to the "likes have no intrinsic value" guy.

Also, drinking contest people, start taking shots every time I say the word "dumb" in this thread, it's unfortunately gonna fly alot and there's no politically correct or soft way to avoid it. This one is way too lost in the sauce.

Is actually about reactions to your own posts (IE, Like, Love, Ohyeah, the funny faces) and not using alts to push the narrative of your own characters posts. I and others were very much under the impression that it was the later. Suggestion is just to replace the rule with something along the lines of 'Writers will not react to their own posts using sub-accounts' or the like just so there's no confusion on it in the future.
I get worried literally every time I put two characters in the same thread regardless of if they interact at all lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom