Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion Goals For Jedi

So I have a padawan character and I am struggling with her a little bit. I think characters need goals but for some reason I’m just blocked. I know Jedi in the films are supposed to be sort of self sacrificing agents that serve the Republic, so I guess in this case that would be GA, but that doesn’t seem to be enough to push me to write this character.

What other types of goals could Jedi have? I mean if you are supposed to follow a code and be a monk is it just all about being a social worker and helping others?

This seems like a stupid question but figured I’d ask. I saw another thread about goals too so I’m gonna check that out.

One of the goals I had set up for Jonyna early on in her creation process was simply finding her gimmick. I find it makes a much more interesting and unique character if you set yourself up so your character has a skill they want to master and build their skillset around. For Jonyna, that became elementalism and swordplay.

For a padawan especially, I think it would be a good goal at first. Figure out where you want the character to specialize, and focus on that.

Other than that, finding friends is always a good goal at first. There's plenty of padawans you can hang out with, I got one if you need a starter.

For me, I believe that characters, no matter if they're Sith, Jedi, Mandalorian, etc. should always have personal short term goals and long term goals.

Short term goals are good for establishing what kind of person your character is and how they interact with the rest of society, etc. Long term goals should be more story-centric and play into whatever larger narrative you're working towards.

Do you want them to always be good? If so, what kind of struggles will they have? Do you want them to fall to the dark side? If so, what steps are necessary to get there? Of course, this also requires you to know something about your own character and who they are as a person and what drives them. I.e., why does your character want to be a Jedi/Sith/Mandalorian, etc. in the first place? Were they brought up that way? Did they fantasize about it? Were they pushed into it? A lot of those questions will shape where your writing and story goes.

There are a couple of different ways you can also figure out the answers to these questions.

Whether that's just... establishing a very basic profile for your character and then throwing them into various scenarios to see how they develop, or doing various writing exercises to figure out these plot points before hand, or maybe you want to do character personality quizzes, interviewing your character, brainstorming with other writers who want to do similar stories, researching characters from various media that you enjoy and writing down aspects of them that you liked and aspects you didn't.

Really, it depends on your own personal taste. As far as Jedi go and who they are, I also feel like that is mostly up to the writer. There are so many different kinds of Jedi through New Canon and Legends that it really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to be a firebrand/maverick, a lost Jedi, a do-gooder, a rule follower? You don't have to fit into a specific mould.

Last edited:
^ Everything Bri said.

In the end, the question is - what was your initial idea for your paddie? Cause that will determine your goals.

For example - I made Zhea with the idea of a more pacifistic Jedi. When I started playing her, I slotted her into a Consular role. So I gave her the short term goals of being a teacher - to pass on the knowledge of finding a balance within an issue - be it to find a non-violent way to resolution or resorting to a lightsaber.

Her greater, long term goal is to restore peace to the Galaxy. Of course, on this path, there can be quite a few struggles too - it can't all be smooth-sailing.

For Zhea, who was made to put some value in the "no attachments" thing as well, it was the struggle with her friendship/relationship with a former Jedi turned Imperial Knight and his not-so-peaceful views of the Galaxy. At first, it was the struggle of a rivalry and eventually her not wanting to give up on redeeming him. Throughout, underlying it, was their feelings for one another and how she struggles to not let it influence her balance and views of loving but not getting attached and to stick to her convictions of valuing life.

This a veeery short summary of goals in practice. So it really depends on the direction you want your character to go and how do you want to get there and the kind of uphill climb you want to give her to get there.

Feel free to DM me if you want to brainstorm it some more and to have a soundboard to bounce ideas off of. My door's always open.

Look at the character and think, what would this character look like as a Jedi Knight? Then do the same when you are considering going to the next rank. You might see a progression to follow.

Consider what aspects of their personality might hinder them or be tempted by the Sith under the wrong circumstances. Before hitting Knight, I find putting them to the test on a few of these is good. This will give you depth of character to write with.

I like at least a few tests against their flaws. Then find some ways they can help others or contribute in their own way, because Jedi are often outward-focused on the world around them, allowing them to maintain a lighter tone.

Some examples of reaching into your backstory and expanding it:

I found a niche for Kei. He would roll up his sleeves and start helping, digging ditches, fixing shacks, whatever. He used to advise young padawans to get in touch with real people, so they could see who they were helping, and not lose sight of their humility or humanity. It also makes a Jedi much less likely to fall if well-grounded.

Another character became a keeper of knowledge, and he would spend his time in quiet contemplation with manuscripts, rare languages, and gardening etc. That was taken from his character and built out of him into his quieter, scholarly role.

Have a look at your background, and consider what the expanded version of that is when shone through a Jedi Lens. Also, that's what your teacher or mentor can help with, so poke around your friend list or here if you need one, and see if anyone's game.

Good luck.

For me, I believe that characters, no matter if they're Sith, Jedi, Mandalorian, etc. should always have personal short term goals and long term goals.

Short term goals are good for establishing what kind of person your character is and how they interact with the rest of society, etc. Long term goals should be more story-centric and play into whatever larger narrative you're working towards.

Great advice for any character!

Kitter Bitters Kitter Bitters I've been RPing with your Padawan. I love her! I say just ease into it, throw yourself into some threads. There's a Junction thread coming up next week and it looks like other Padawans have thrown themselves into signing up. Join up with that Brat Pack and see where the winds of life take you? Could be fun in feeling out the character more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom