Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Green

Tag: Adric Rocheford Adric Rocheford

green.png

Coruscant was different.

Anastasia had spent the last few weeks learning about the New Jedi Order. Kindly tutors and Temple Staff had walked her through procedure and protocol so that she might find her footing. She wasn't inexperienced by any means, however, the Green Jedi Enclave where she had spent her more formative years had different ways of doing things. They were less inclusive, withdrawn, and relied on traditions that most Jedi would find at the bare minimum peculiar. At worst? Heresy.

The fact that she wanted to learn more about different sects that all held a connection to the Force seemed to be a double-edged sword. Some understood. Some didn't. Ana was a studious sort that truly believed knowledge to be the key to mending a galaxy of woe. Not swords, nor grand, overarching space battles—But by actively learning. Her peers on Corellia had both admired and scoffed at her mindset. History told them a different story, regardless, of their belief structure.

Ana twisted her hands subconsciously while heading toward the living quarters of the Jedi Master she had been assigned to. She might not have been a Padawan but it had been made very clear that the will of the Council revolved around her taking notes from someone more experienced. Reliable, predictable. She could understand the thought process on a basic level but it still touched a nerve. The solemn brunette was every bit the Knight as others in the Temple.

Why did it feel as if she'd been assigned a sitter to mind and manage her?

She habitually smoothed the front of her robes while she walked. Despite the fact that she was dressed like many other Knights in the Temple she felt like she stuck out like a sore thumb. The feathered wings of her nerves seemed unwilling to leave her alone. Her robes were flowing, modern, and a cheerful shade of celadon. A pale rose sash wrapped neatly around her waist, cinching tight, professional, but not so much that she couldn't breathe. Ana was polished, primly. Her Master with the Green Jedi had been meticulous about the importance of keeping appearances.

They had to look the part.

When a Jedi presented a calm and collected front? Civilians, would follow suit. Ana wished that she felt anything at all like she did on the outside. Ever since she'd landed on Coruscant it felt as if the eyes of a watchtower were very turned in her direction. It probably wasn't true.

But, it certainly felt that way.

When she arrived at the designated unit Anastasia raised her hand to signal the automated greeter—But hesitated. What if she received poor marks? A poor review? What would happen then? The young woman swallowed hard but steeled her jaw against such insecurities. She had no reason to think anything like that might happen. Ana had made this her life. Her path.

She couldn't fail now.

A pleasant smile formed on winsome features and Ana let her hand finish the gesture that would announce her arrival. Right on time.

Anastasia Hale Anastasia Hale

Only back for a few weeks and already they assigned someone to him.

Not a Padawan, no.

A Jedi Knight. A Green Jedi Knight. They explained this in a rather reasonable way. Knight Hale was new here, she was used to the traditions of the Corellian Jedi and before she could operate independently, they had to make sure the young woman would behave according to the New Jedi Order ways.

Adric heard this and accepted the assignment. In his head however? He couldn't help but wonder if they were using a soft hand on him, because they were worried his time under house arrest had made him lose his nerve.

Meditation helped.

He was still meditating when Anastasia arrived. Right. On. Time. At least the Greens were good at discipline. "Enter." His voice called out as Adric rose up and pulled his robes back over his tunic. While he waited for her to join him, Adric moved to the tea already waiting for them, pouring her and then himself a cup.

"Knight Hale, welcome." He gestured for the seat opposite of him. "Sit, have some tea. Did your travels find you well?"

green.png

The voice that greeted her was neither too stern nor too soft. Anastasia chewed on the inside of her cheek for the barest moment before the portal snapped open with metallic precision. Her spine straightened and she moved into the private chambers with her head held high. She had nothing to be ashamed of—No reason to be frightened. The fact that she was meeting someone new and entertaining a new Jedi Master for the first time in years changed nothing.

"Thank you for inviting me, Master Rocheford."

Her tone held the faintest Corellian accent, though, it had been almost entirely ground down and replaced with something a little more refined. As if at some point she had been required to rescind her heritage and exchange it. The young woman stepped down into the modest sitting area as if she were made of something lighter than air. To float would have implied that she had any sort of visceral substance for a breeze to hang on to.

A swan-like neck inclined delicately, respectfully, while she accepted the offered tea and the seat at his table. The question about her travels was met with an internal wince. It was a question that elders asked when they had no idea what to say, or, were trying to make polite conversation. The training that she had received with the Green Jedi also prompted her to retain the façade. To return conversation in equal measure. "Well enough. Satisfactory, I might say."

"The trip between Corellia and Coruscant is both too long and too short."

The anticipation that she'd felt at finally being able to see somewhere other than Corellian slums had been entirely overshadowed by her nervousness about interacting with the Jedi Council for the first time. Anastasia did not always handle criticism well and was concerned that they might have much to say about her less than conventional training. Steady hands picked up the steaming tea cup and she blew on it softly for a moment to avoid getting scalded. "…I apologize that you've been…"

Anastasia paused, blue eyes flickering, clear as any cloudless sky. How to put it politely? How to explain that she was repentant that such a distinguished Jedi Master had been relegated to a glorified form of babysitting? This was the Jedi Temple, not a nursery, but even some of the Padawan Learners had more freedoms. The Green Jedi were a different shade…But they weren't incompetent.

"That you've been assigned to me. I'm sure there are better uses for your time."

He took her answer in with a nod and a measured sip from his tea.

"I have been to Corellia once or twice. Prior to its rupture and during the attempts to terraform it back to a livable state. The Corellian people have gone through a lot, but they have shown resilience time and time again." In a way they were an inspiration. Half of the Alliance had been the Corellian Confederacy at one point. It was a shame they had withdrawn from said prominence, but such was the way of politics at times.

It took him by surprise when she apologized to him.

Hale even got a blink from him.

"Well, you have nothing to apologize for, Knight Hale." It had been a while since his last time teaching a student. His last Padawan was a Jedi Master in their own right now. A watchmen over at the Outer Rim. This felt different however. Anastasia was already a grown sentient, was there truly anything he could teach her, which she didn't know herself?

He had his doubts.

"The Force weaves as it will and I will do what I can to make this transition as smooth as possible for you." He tried to sound reassuring. "Do you have any questions, worries? I took the liberty to request the room next to mine to be made available to you. Of course, you can request other quarters if they don't suit you, but I believed it would be better for your first few weeks to have someone near you that can assist."

That's what he had done for his Padawans.

Maybe that wasn't correct here, but frankly the Jedi Master was out of his depth here, so they'd all have to suffer through his improvisations.

green.png
The soft features of Knight Hale gave little back in the way he viewed Corellia. It had taken her years to master an expression that would portray only what she wished. To convey only what was needed so that her engagements would always have the desired outcome. She glanced down at her teacup and had to forcibly remind herself that she wasn’t currently on duty. She didn’t need to treat the man across the table as part of a mission parameter. “…We survive. Slow to learn. But we do, learn.”

Hundreds of years ago historians claimed that Corellia had been the center of everything. Before the eyes of the galaxy turned toward younger, newer planets, with bright ideas and new technology. The dynamic shifted and they were essentially left to rot while progress moved forward without them. As if that insult wasn’t difficult enough for generations to bear, the world had been broken, and more often than not they’d been expected to clean the mess that up. Alone. There had been no sweeping gestures of mercy and fortitude from ruling powers when she’d been young. There were only the weak, the strong, and those lucky enough to change their fate.

The rest were rolled over like insects beneath a machine.

He seemed surprised by her apology and her head inclined once more when he insisted that there was no reason to. “As you wish.”, she returned gently, though, not disrespectfully. They both knew that it was a strange arrangement. The candor that he offered was appreciated, however. Unlike some in the Temple he didn’t seem to regard her, without knowing her, as something to be fixed.

Anastasia did not expect to be taught. She expected, to be observed. Judged. That was the reason for the entire exercise. To see if she was up to par with the Jedi Knights that came from traditional Temple training. To ensure that she could be a valuable asset rather than a detriment.

“Thank you. I am certain the change will suit me fine.”, she responded with a polite smile, amenable, while she internally began to remap her routine. The difference wasn’t much and it wouldn’t affect anything negatively. It was obvious that he was trying to make her comfortable—There was no need to deny the small gesture of goodwill. “…I shall move my things this evening.”

It did surprise her that Master Rocheford had taken the liberty of having her quarters relocated, though, it wasn’t that displeasing. One bed would serve her just as well as any other. Having subconsciously noted when the tea in his cup reached the halfway point she reached for the kettle, sleeve tucked back, and filled it once more. There was an art to how she moved, served, as if she had done it a hundred thousand times before. As to whether or not she had questions or worries she could only offer a partial smile. Too many to count; but not enough that it mattered. “Life at the Temple has been…Different than the Enclave.”

At the Enclave? She was at the top of her class—Leaps and bounds beyond her peers. Here?

She felt…So very, very out of place.

“Corellians may as well have rocket fuel for blood, but, the people on Coruscant don’t have that. It’s like a beehive that’s constantly buzzing with white noise no matter where you are. My Order is still very mindful in regards to their homes and families… It seems that the New Jedi Order is less strict than my Masters described but there are still many that hold to the old ways.”, she murmured lightly, though, he would note that these were more observations than questions. Her concerns were there…Just threaded very carefully. “It will be…Interesting, adjusting.”

“…I would like to leave the Temple grounds at some point and visit Galactic City properly.”

She paused, hesitating as if it were the wrong thing to ask. Anastasia prudently corrected her over assuming statement. Her freedom for the time being required his time as well.

“Time permitting, of course.”

"Mm, less strict, more strict, I suppose it is a matter of perspective and circumstances." He nodded gratefully at her reflexive refilling of the cup. Truly Hale had put herself through a whole course of refinement and discipline. This was to be respected. It would be interesting to work with someone who was already at the cusp of their potential. Different. Usually he molded them, shaped them, this was no longer necessary here. Unless there were habits that needed to be... excised.

This didn't seem to be the case as of yet however.

"But the New Jedi Order is rather focused on its martial component. Understandable- we are a nation at a constant state of war, but concerning, because we are consistently at risk of losing our balance." A little shrug. "An old man's musings, think nothing of it." Adric winked there as he brought the tea cup to his lips and sipped once more.

It really did help with centering oneself.

"I think there will be plenty of time for that. I'd suggest for the first time that I accompany you. It can be... overwhelming." He raised his hand. "I do not assume you can't handle yourself or need a chaperone. I'd offer this to anyone new to Coruscant. And I do feel a responsibility for you, to ease your way as much as possible, yes?"

green.png

"Fair."

The slight intonation was truer than he might have realized. Anastasia supposed that if the Galatic Alliance wanted to survive—They needed to be careful about whom they accepted into the New Jedi Order. They truly were in a constant state of war. She could have been a saboteur or spy for all they knew. With the cold war with the Empire, finally, starting to thaw into an actual conflict they had to be more vigilant than ever. They too had Force-sensitives. Likely, skilled in espionage.

Not to mention that it wouldn't have been the first time. The Jedi Temple on Coruscant had been tricked before. "I suppose in that regard the Enclave has a higher standing. For a Green…It has always been that way. They've learned balance through their own trials and pass those lessons on to the next generation."

"The New Jedi Order may find it challenging to deal with something they have never known."

It was perplexing to her that this order was, of all things, heavily influenced by marriage. Part of her reasoned that it was likely due to their dwindling numbers. They were far more likely to produce strong Force-Sensitive children when both parents were adept. The friendly wink that Master Rocheford gave drew another polite smile, though, her eyes did dip sweep the table. "You are not the first to say it."

"Not here—Not on Corellia."

When her request to get outside, to the real, true Coruscant was met with an affirmative answer that actually garnered Master Rocheford a first true smile. Her features softened. Blue eyes, if possible, seemed to flare even brighter. Though…That almost innocent smile soon faded. The reminder. He did not assume she needed a chaperone—But the Council did. She wasn't even certain she could leave on her own at the moment unless it was to return to Corellia.

She nodded her head in agreement, determined, not to let her frustration show. When arrangements had been made for her to transfer to the gem of the Core she hadn't expected this. It wasn't as if it were the fault of Master Rocheford, but still, it was disappointing. Regardless, she was grateful for his willingness to go. "I can see how that would be the case."

Her hand rose and she reached to brush dark locks behind her ear, though, pointed absently in that direction. "I wasn't speaking in jest, before. I can hear them almost constantly. It's not so loud on Corellia. Less people. Less thoughts. Worries.", she murmured, though, a gentle frown touched pale pink lips for a moment. That couldn't stay a constant. "I will meditate on it. Surely, that will help."

If not—She was going to be drinking a lot of tea designed to promote sleep. Ana had barely gotten a solid hour in a row since arriving. Everything was just…Different.

"The Jedi have always met challenges head first." Which was most likely why they had as many failures as they had successes. The Order was often either too stuck in contemplation or too rushed towards action. It was rare that they managed to strike a steady balance that promoted safety without falling into complacency.

"But perhaps I will come to visit the Green Enclave. I have never had the opportunity to do so, not even when I was visiting Corellia proper."

That would be nice.

This was what Adric had enjoyed most about his work with the Jedi Network and the Enclaves. The ability to meet many perspectives. To learn from them and in turn offer some knowledge of his own.

"Meditation is good for the spirit." Once more the Jedi Master found himself agreeing with her. "You just caught me in meditation, in fact." He looked over his shoulder to his little meditation garden outside. It overlooked the highrise of Coruscant and its traffic. "A difficult set of circumstances to meditate in, granted, but that adversity improves you thoroughly."

Then looking back to her.

"We can start meditating together in the morning and the evening. I have some tricks to make it easier. I very much doubt I have much to teach you, a fully-fledged Jedi Knight, but perhaps there are a few things I can show you that are new."

green.png

Her head inclined gracefully to accept his words about Jedi meeting challenges. The Green Enclave was more focused on finding philosophical solutions to modern-day problems, rather, than martial action. That was to be acknowledged as the last resort. A final full measure. But even that strategy had its inherent weaknesses. Master Rocheford called it complacency. Anastasia thought it to be blindness. Her Enclave had been mostly spared in recent years.

The state of the galaxy was not…Better. It was not quieter. It was not nonviolent.

Anastasia did not think they wanted to see.

At hearing that he wanted to visit her Enclave she nodded, graciously, and enjoyed a little more tea while it was still warm. "We can be insular, at times, but a strong heart is there. You never know…You might enjoy the peace and quiet.", she offered, knowing, how her people would react. Often there was the appropriate amount of respect and distance. Then, little by little, they opened up until the visitor simply blended with the rest of them. Family.

It was the one thing she missed from Corellia. Her biological roots were long forgotten—But the Enclave? She would always hold her fellow Jedi in high regard.

Hearing that meditation was "good for the spirit" caused her to shake her head slowly in a demure, good-natured, chuckle. It was breathy to the point of barely being there. "Spoken like a true Jedi Master.", the very same or incredibly similar phrase had often graced her ears during her training as a Padawan. She began later in life than many of her classmates so she had a lot of catching up to do. Learning to meditate properly was an art form.

Her eyes widened just slightly at the notion of meditating together each day. Twice a day. Her expression melted a moment afterward, minding, that a Jedi was never done learning. She had come to Coruscant to gain knowledge. She had thought that it would come in the form of a data pad from the archives, however, this would also be acceptable. "I must assume that we are from different worlds…To claim I have nothing to learn would be more hubris than I could bear."

Anastasia's head tilted and her lips curved further, though, maintaining an ever-present sense of formality. "Perhaps…I might teach you something along the way."

"There is always more to learn, it is true, I have tried to order my life in this very way." The ones that didn't learn or didn't think they had anything to learn... those were the saddest creatures. Insular, complacent, stuck in their ways. They thought they knew all and that they were the final authority on everything.

He couldn't help but still be amused. Spoken like a true Jedi Master. Adric had almost responded with Spoken like a true Jedi Padawan. A younger soul who heard the same words over and over again, wondering when they'd stop to repeat and offer something new.

But it was kept to himself for now.

"I was born in the Outer Rim. Truth to be told I couldn't tell you the planet- when I was a babe I was taken in by a Jedi Enclave and got brought up by the Order. I never thought to ask for more information." For a moment Adric was contemplative about that. It might seem odd. The lack of curiosity from one who preached learning.

A little shrug as Adric snapped out of the contemplation.

"Either way, I welcome your knowledge, Knight Hale. If you show me some of yours, I will show you some of mine." A twinkle of humor there. "Is there anything I can help you with today? Or would you prefer to go and do your own thing? If so, we can meet for dinner later and talk through some expectations more then?"

green.png

Something she'd said seemed to have amused him enough that she could feel it reverberating through the air. Reverberating—Like heat waves rising from duracrete under the sun.

"I've never left Corellia until now."

It was an exchange. Quid pro quo. He provided details that she may have otherwise lacked. She would return his honesty with a touch of her own. "I grew up as most Corellian children do.", the words did not specify which version of a life she'd held before joining the Enclave. She was certain that the Temple had some sort of dossier or file on her. It was possible that he'd read it. Some part of her felt disturbed by that—But it was probably common. Know your ward.

"I'm afraid that I know too much about my history. I did not come to the Jedi until I was fifteen."

When she'd first come to understand how many initiates were gathered, she'd been troubled by the concept. Upon reflecting on her own situation, she wondered what life might have been like if she'd been taken as a babe as well. If she hadn't have been sold, traded, for credits or grain. If she'd never found herself in servitude to legal criminals just because they held all the cards. Corellia was…Better than it had once been. But still, the planet and her people struggled. "I look forward to it…I'm certain I'll think of something you might not be familiar with. I speak dozens of languages, fluently. Perhaps one of those?"

Anastasia paused for a moment at being asked about her plans. She hadn't made any, thus far. There was only so much to do in the quiet confines of her quarters. Other than moving to her new living space…She had very little to occupy herself with. So much so that she'd debated on checking to see if the Service Corps could use a hand. "If I may be honest, company, would be appreciated. As noisy as it is here it can be quite…"

Lonely.

Her gaze shifted toward the open area where Master Rocheford had been meditating earlier. It bothered her to admit that she was not entirely complete in herself. She was used to the familiar sounds of her Green Jedi brothers and sisters. Their presence, or lack thereof, was disconcerting. This had been her decision. Her choice. She would see it through regardless any personal discomfort with grace and pride. It was what her Master would have wanted. "Unless you're otherwise engaged. I was thinking of visiting the Archives or the Gardens. Perhaps—The training grounds."

She hadn't declined dinner, either. Not that it had really been a question. Ana had noticed that. Both with the decision to meditate and dinner he had never actually given the option. It told her that he had the mentality of a Master teaching his Padawan. Make them think they had a choice—But did they? Her lips curved faintly. "…I'm open to suggestions if you have a different idea for the rest of the day."

"Fifteen? That's quite old for a Padawan." Then again, it was done more these days, compared to the olden olden days. Partially necessity. The Jedi needed all the bodies they could get. The Sith didn't hesitate recruiting fully-grown adults and so the Jedi had to change in response. Adric wasn't sure how he felt about it.

It was dangerous, but that was the caution in him. Was there an alternative? He wasn't sure. "Perhaps you can tell me more about your youth when you feel comfortable."

Comfort.

That was important.

She couldn't feel like he was forcing her to do things. That was the easiest way to turn her against him. Then again, that was a lesson for the Padawans... the Knights? Ah... again. Adric wished they hadn't immediately thrown this into his lap without prior preparation. But, this is what Adric had to work with, so there was little sense in complaining about it.

"Of course. No, no, I only just got back to duty after a stint on the Tingel Arm." Rather vague and uninformative. "I don't mind keeping you company for a bit, until you get your feet under you. Perhaps... we can spar? I'd enjoy seeing what a Green Jedi can do." A smirk there, teasing her again.

green.png

"I had a lot of catching up to do."

The young woman glanced down at her hands, at her empty teacup, and reached for the kettle once more to pour pristine refills. She appreciated the semblance of normalcy that he offered by allowing her time to get to know him. "It is unpleasant. Perhaps, left best to a rainy day."

There was no sense in ruining a perfectly good afternoon with the details of a time she could hardly remember. Picking at those memories caused her deliberate avoidance of it to begin to crumble and wane. It was not useful for her path. She needed to be in the present and remain mindful of what was happening now. Not what couldn't be changed. "How was your time in the Tingle Arm? That is…"

"Dangerous space."

For any Forcer User these days, though, she understood that it had worsened as of late. Just because she hadn't ventured far from home didn't mean she was ill-informed. Master Rocheford would find himself on the receiving end of another actual smile when he agreed to remain with her for a little while. The smallest things, such as time spent, seemed to soften the ever-pedantic edges of Anastasia. At the offer of a spar her left eyebrow rose. "A spar? Are you certain?"

"Haven't you just returned?"

If he wanted to test himself against an opponent, she would not deny him, though, he would need to make her aware of the rules of engagement. When she sparred at home, they often used a point system. She did not know how it would be at the Temple. Her eyes settled on his features. Older, perhaps. But that meant very little for a Jedi save to work in his favor. He gave the air of being easy-going but something told her to be wary. Be careful. "…If you wish it—I will oblige."

Her eyes glimmered. Humor exposed itself from behind the rim of the teacup.

"If you think you can keep up."

"Complicated." He admitted without compunction. "I was actually under house arrest for the last year or so. One of the local star systems had hoped to use me as a bargaining chip." Ardic shrugged. "It didn't go the way they wanted. They let me go and here I am." He chuckled there and took a sip from his tea.

"They treated me alright, nothing horrible, but it was rather... frustrating. I couldn't do anything to continue my work. I believe people died that could have been saved otherwise, if I had been there."

Ohoho.

Yes, Adric was certainly not used to this from a student of his.

That lip.

But it was a welcome change. Teaching Padawans was fulfilling, yes, it was nice to see them rise to the occasion and do something grand with their lives, yet he always had to let go once that happened. Let them go on their trajectory. Their own journey. It would be interesting to see the second stage of the adventure, so to speak.

"Oh, I am sure you will run circles around me, lady. But let's give it a whirl, shall we?" Entirely unworried as he rose up gracefully and took his robes off, leaving himself in the training tunics for extra mobility.

"In the meditation garden? It can double as two things."

green.png

Her expression remained quiet at the notion of him having been held against his will. That information changed things. She had been treated “all right” while in captivity but that didn’t mean she didn’t bear the scars of having her indemnity stripped away. Crystalline blue orbs focused on his facial features once more in such a way that she appeared to be looking right through him. Evaluating.

Perhaps, she was not the only one being tested by the Council.

For the moment she let it go because Master Rocheford seemed to have taken the bait of her wit all too easily. She suspected that he was unused to a student with enough confidence to have a mind of their own. Anastasia had that in spades and an intellect to match anything he might think of in return. The informal way he spoke caused her to lean back in the chair for a moment. Clearly, thinking, though not bothering to respond. The upright and respectable woman shifted, then. Standing.

Careful fingers threaded back into auburn tresses and swept them up into a high bun that she secured with a tie from her wrist. The same gesture flowed into removing the rose-colored sash from her waist. The binding unwound several times before she set it down in the chair. The outer layer of her robes fell from her slender shoulders like a waterfall to reveal attire that was much more suited toward swift movement than yards of cloying fabric.

A tunic in the same shade as her robe that held a square cut around the neck. Fitting—Until it flared slightly around her hips. With a pair of tan leather leggings that tucked into low-heeled boots, he would note, that her lightsaber was sheathed along her thigh. Never far from reach but easily hidden during day-to-day activities. “Running in circles would hardly let me win…”

The words were sensible, though, she followed the much taller man out into the garden without question. It was just a space. Whether or not they were meditating, talking, or sparring it would do as well as any other arena. Careful eyes noted the boundaries of the space they had to work with before she seemed to settle. Her hands briefly met behind her back so that she could give a respectful bow of her head before falling into an easy stance. Her movements were fluid, not telegraphed, but easily recognizable as preparation.

“Are there terms, Master?”

"But it would give you something to brag about." Adric responded as he drew up the sleeves of his tunic. "As for terms... hm. Hand-to-hand, first one to tap out loses?"

It was perhaps unorthodox.

Usually a sparring session between Jedi meant using the lightsaber.

This was fair, because the saber was usually what defined them, alongside the Force. But Adric had learned early on that you could observe a lot from an honest to Force fistfight. The way they behaved, acted, it was all different once you took away the elegant weapon. Even their reaction when you suggested it could tell you something.

Not every Jedi was comfortable without their lightsaber.

If Hale agreed he'd settle himself in a fighting stance. Going through his knees ever so slightly, shifting one hand between his back and the other one slightly raised and making an open palm.

It was an unfamiliar fighting technique.

Clearly Rocheford had done this before.

"Begin." He'd say... and yet, he'd wait for her to attack first.

green.png

Bragging was unseemly.

The notion of devolving into such childish antics truly solidified that Master Rocheford was used to training with students that were fairly juvenile. That—Or it was an attempt at humor that flew over her head like a bird. When the elder Jedi rolled up his sleeves and delivered terms, she nodded her head with immediate acceptance. The call to begin found her moving slowly. Pushing to the right of an invisible circle where she might note his movements. On average, most men were larger and likely stronger than their fairer counterparts.

Musculature types varied from species to species, but she could at least thank the Force that he wasn't Epicanthic. Punching one of them in the face was like smashing a fist dead on into permacrete. Broken knuckles, broken fingers, and a smirking, smug opponent that was scarcely bothered. Anastasia had learned long ago to look before leaping the hard way. Regardless, Rocheford was taller with longer limbs.

That gave him reach. Without a training staff or saber she would need to compensate accordingly. That limited her options. Ana would need to get inside his guard, swiftly, and fight close.

Without missing a beat, she moved, and closed the distance between them seamlessly. Infighting tended to reward the creative and intuitive. There was a method to the madness, but, her Master on Corellia had always referred to the victor as one who could abandon themselves to the chaos without losing sight of the goal. No doubt—That line of thinking would be frowned upon here. But for a woman? It made sense. They didn't care about dominance games. Just…Avoid the falling rock.

Which—Referred to taking a point-blank strike from someone stronger in a critical zone.

Ana stepped in a final time, balancing her weight on her left foot, and threw out her right fist in a curved punch toward his temple. There was nothing in her stance that suggested she might hesitate if he didn't block or move. Whether or not it hit she would draw slightly back, pivot while her arms drew inward, as her rear leg came up with a chambered, crushing kick that would snap out at his midsection. Her guard shifted and she moved again, another kick, bet from a slightly different angle.

Ana kept the pressure on and kept moving, fluidly, so that he wouldn't have a moment to think or recover. Hand-to-hand was a messy for a spar, almost a brawl, unless only demonstrating defensive techniques. Master Rocheford had not asked for that. Rather, her peripherals focused down into a narrow line and it became about breaking the opponent down into smaller pieces. She would fixate on key areas to debilitate. Speed would prevail over strength.

As long as she stayed at the very least—One move ahead.

Perhaps surprising Anastasia? The punch connected.

Then.

Adric reacted like a viper.

Right as she was about to pull back to continue a mass of movement and action, his hand lashed out and grabbed hold of her wrist at the height of its return swing. He stepped to the side and then yanked. Using the Force he'd attempt to throw her into the wall beside him, before clearing the distance between them and following up with a knee to the stomach.

Where there was patience and calm first... now there was decisive action.

Adric didn't seem to emote during these moments. His expression peaceful and steady.

"Good. Form, follow through, strength. You were trained well." His eyes gleamed sharp as they appraised his current pupil. As if he hadn't just thrown her through the air like a sack of potatoes and then tried to knee her for good measure.

Clearly Adric didn't believe in taking things slow.

Only then did he rub his jaw.

"I will feel that one for the rest of the week." Praise. But he hadn't even tried to stop her punch. Just took it straight in the face. "Sometimes... you must turn expectations on its face. That creates an opening, doesn't it?"

green.png

It didn't make sense.

Her punch followed through with all of the kinetic force that she could bring to bear. The crack of flesh and bone connecting echoed through the modest chambers, but that didn't stop the elder Jedi Master from moving swiftly to a counter. They moved together, briefly, but it was neither fluid nor nimble. In the short span of time she had to think before her back met an unforgiving wall she noted that he fought more like a bar brawler than a refined member of the New Jedi Order.

Was that what they thought of her? Because she was a Green?

Her free arm came up to block the knee to her stomach, pushing down, so that she might gain a little distance from the sudden halt of momentum. His words fell on what seemed to be deaf ears if only because he hadn't called the point. The fight wasn't over—Regardless what lesson he thought to impart. Her head inclined and her eyebrow rose, just slightly, but she turned her body around and ducked beneath his arm so that he would have to adjust his grasp on her wrist.

Or risk breaking his.

The young Knight moved as if she were made of wind and sky versus earth and bone. She had always been light of foot, being forced to move very quickly as a child, but her training during more formative years had only emphasized that. Ana pulled toward him rather than away to create an opening so that she could get a proper grip, then, with her free hand at his collar sought to isolate his torso. A swift transition to an overhook let her jump up with relative safety, her grip acting as glue, so that she could stay attached to him while leaving her dead weight for him to absorb.

She would fall to the ground, pulling him down, while her leg wrapped around his arm and her knee hooked around the back of his neck. It would pull him down with his arm trapped between her thighs so that she could try and force him down. It was a flourished flying armbar that she finished by shifting her grip to consolidate pressure on his wrist, and lay pressure on the arm, while using her body to block movement.

It wouldn't feel great.

But neither had being slammed into the nearest wall. If he wanted a fight to the teeth he should have expressed that beforehand. She wasn't used to picking on the elderly, though, that wasn't to say that he hadn't given a good impression. Not many could take the full force of her right hook and not spit out blood from their teeth grinding against their tongue.

If he didn't at least form a purplish bruise…She might have the grace to be offended.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom