Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[member="Strider Garon"]

Actually I built Gray around contradictions and him being a FU while being of Mandalorian blood is a big part of that. He was trained to fight as Mandalorians do, with his head as much as his gun, and yet now he has access to the force which for most traditions doesn't go into fights with the same mentality a Mandalorian might. I have no beskar items with Gray currently either, so not really about perks of items for me. Items are just tools and even the most OP stat gaming in RP can be beat by proper writing.

[member="Zagara Vao"] [member="Phislo Bress"]

As Phislo said, there is far more to Mandalorians than combat. Fighting is not the focus on the culture but rather is the best way to protect and provide for their kith and kin. The clans are an important aspect of the culture, but she doesn't have to spend time around a single clan. She can just learn around all of them and eventually she can come to accept the culture or if she goes Sith completely then she will likely have to fight these people she has been around and befriending.

On the real, let's not forget that the Clans have had Dathomir within its borders for a long time IC. As of now, culturally, there are many Mandalorians who are full fledged members of the culture, but wield the force via Magick and so on. Others view the Force as a tool (as it should be) and use it no different than a blaster.

Blah blah blah, Forcie stuff.

Blah.

Matreya

Isley Verd said:
On the real, let's not forget that the Clans have had Dathomir within its borders for a long time IC. As of now, culturally, there are many Mandalorians who are full fledged members of the culture, but wield the force via Magick and so on. Others view the Force as a tool (as it should be) and use it no different than a blaster.

Blah blah blah, Forcie stuff.

Blah.
This was my point. Tried going into this, but was utterly ignored. Lol

The nature of RP is such that you can have your character do whatever they want. If they choose to become a Mandalorian, they can do so. If they then choose to betray that heritage and become a Sith, they can do that too.

Nothing can stop you from making choices about what your character is able to, and therefor does do.

That said, however, the nature of multi-person RP is such that at any time, any character can choose to take offense to what you have done, and can choose to act on that offense however they see fit. In-character actions can and will have in-character consequences.

When you're talking about a culture like the Mandalorians, you can usually predict the reactions of the other characters around yours by the history and culture that is displayed in canon. Canonically, Mandalorians have hated and mistrusted the Force and its wielders since the Old Republic.

img-52.JPG

Throughout the Mandalorians' history, they have been betrayed and murdered en masse by both Jedi and Sith alike. Every alliance with the Jedi or Sith since the beginning of the Mandalorians has ended in a betrayal, and even when not allied with them the Jedi and Sith often find ways to attempt to eradicate the Mandalorians.

Culturally, Mandalorians are distrustful of Jedi and Sith at best, and very often are outright hostile towards them.

As such, it's a fairly safe bet that the choice to become one of these hated factions would probably draw the ire of your peers, even if it didn't also violate the cultural customs of the Mandalorians.

Which is the next thing to consider. Mandalorians don't retire. Mandalorians don't stop being Mandalorians. A Mandalorian is expected to don his armor every day until the day he dies. The Mandalorians are a community based society that frowns on personal glory and any sort of 'individual above the group' mentality. The Jedi and Sith, however, thrive on the idea that individuals are better than each other, and that a lone person is more important that a group.

The lifestyles and ideals of the Jedi and Sith completely conflict the Mandalorian culture.

This means that taking up the title of 'Sith' or 'Jedi' when you're already a Mandalorian means that you'd be considered Dar'manda, one of the worst things a Mandalorian can be.

All that taken together? Yes, it's possible for your character to train as a Mandalorian, complete a Verd'goten, earn your armor, and then turn your back on all that to become a Sith. It might even make for good story for you. But understand that any Mandalorian character who hears about this would more than likely hate you for it. They would be opposed to you, and would very likely try to kill you on encountering you and finding this information out. You would be a fugitive from the entire culture of the Mandalorians, and since in recent years the Mandalorians thrive on their ability to hunt down fugitives, that's maybe not a thing you want to be.

TL;DR: IC actions = IC consequences. You can become a Mandalorian Sith, but you can expect the Mandalorians to then be hostile to you.

[member="Rahmba Rau"]

Exactly. Its a facet of the lifestyle that's always been a part of it. Being a Mando that has fallen to the Sith is utterly Dar'manda. Its a strict warrior culture. Its elitist because it has to be. Its persistent on its beliefs because it has to be. The tenants are everything that a Mandalorian "IS". Training and the passing of knowledge and language is in that culture. There are things that NEED to be done. Any organized military, especially a military culture, has standards. If you could just go to a military surplus store, and be a soldier, the structure and capacy of a military unit would be nonexistent. Follow the code. Do your verdgoten.

Cin Vhetin
The literal translation of the phrase was “driven snow.” The true meaning of the phrase was closer to “The past is the past.” The Mandalorians believed that once you took up the arms and armor of the clan, your past was irrelevant.
–Drew Karpyshyn, The Old Republic: Revan

Resol'nare
The Resol'nare, or Six Actions when translated from Mando'a into Galactic Basic Standard were the central tenets of Mandalorian life. They consisted of:

wearing armor -

speaking the language - How does one support an Empire, or high imperial culture, when one is a Mando. When your culture (or a given Mand'alor) is dedicated to the development of self through conflict, how does that not conflict with Jedi codes?

defending oneself and family - This would very well go against the Jedi code. Rather, the family bit. This may have changed, as Luke's new Jedi order was certainly different. But Mandalorians REQUIRE attachment to your family unit, and to the Mand'alor, and to a great many beliefs and ideologies. One has to have the capacy to kill another sentient being, and to fight.

raising your children as Mandalorians - Not Sith. Not Jedi. Not Nightsisters. Mandalorians. If they're still raising them as nightsisters, after so long in occupation, they've not been doing this very well.

contributing to the clan's welfare - Hard to do with the Self Centered ideology of the Sith. Actually against most sith teachings. The concern with the material, may well go against most jedi ideology as well, depending on the order. Even IF keeping that stuff went against the very tenants of Mandalorian Ideology.

when called upon by the Mand'alor rallying to their cause. - What happens when the ideals of the Mand'alor conflict with that of the Jedi? What happens when the Mand'alor is not following the ideals set forth by the Jedi Codes. What if he asks your Sith or Jedi not to use the force, or to give it up? What then? What happens when a mand'alor goes against the very nature of what your seperate order calls for. Can't be both.

Tradition dictated that anyone who wished to be considered Mandalorian were to abide by these guidelines and live these actions daily. Mandalorians whom did not follow the Resol'nare were considered to be dar'manda—someone who was ignorant of their Mandalorian heritage and bereft of their Mandalorian soul. The status of dar'manda was widely feared within Mandalorian society due to the belief it meant they were soulless and had no place in the Manda, the Mandalorian afterlife.

I get it. People wanna be cool cats, and use lightsabers and force powers in mandalorian armor. They want to be the ubernightsistermando that can raise the dead, with armor that deflects lightsabers. I mean. I get it. But take some time to elaborate on just HOW these things came to be, and how you're going to make it NOT conflict with the very code of your given lifestyle. Some people have done that. That's good. But Icly the people that have not would have difficulty getting any recognition whatsoever.

Zagara Vao

Writer account. Check my characters out!
[member="Zef Halo"]

There comes a time when we all have to sit down in uncomfortable chairs and ask ourselves intrusive questions.

This is one of those times.

To be fair though, I've profited from this thread. I'm convinced that Zagara has to go full Mando and leave the DarkSide ambitions behind for now. It's more 'her' anyway after reviewing the same bio I wrote. Maybe I'll make another chara that's full-blown Sith, but the Twi'lek's flying the Mythosaur colors for now and leaving the Force behind.

That (my peace of mind and the absence of cognitive dissonance noted), and I get to be lazy and get some free lessons.

Zef Halo said:
Maybe y'all could have a chill pill rather than go on a philosophical debate over a fictional culture.
On the contrary, I encourage it, so long as its held with respect.

Mandalorian culture is rife with different views, and its tangled web of philosophy spans thousands of years. There will always be debates had on who believes what - it's a more complicated system than "Good and evil."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom