Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Podrace Kattada Open (Sun Jamming Race)

A wonderful day for a Sunjamming Race. The Exploration Corps station on the world and the Haleoda Spaceport were already full for guests. The stands were set, and some of the larger charter boats were out on the water allowing for guests and spectators to enjoy the tropics of the world. What it meant was that the planets economy was getting a boost but more importantly it was the start of the galactic years Sunjammer Grand Prix cycle.

Along the surface, holographic advertisements and pre-race discussions were occuring. Celebrations and bets being placed. In space? Exploration Corps ships, primarily tug variations and small carriers, based on old Venator designs, were moving into position. Several traditional light freighters were down the course and setting up the buoy markers for the sunjammers.

The freighters and tugs would be there to help any of the ships who needed to be pulled back.

“Ladies and gentle beings! Welcome to the Sunjammer Kattada Open! The first of the years Grand Prix ending in Pamarthe! We have a lovely day of solar flares and winds out today. The weather in Haleoda is sunny and clear and perfect for all you travelers.

“It seems our pilots are lining up and prepping for position. Each ship has a probe droid following to track speed and location and provide real time holo of each ship!

“Let’s introduce our sponsors and racers!”

At that time the two sponsors went into a chat introducing at Starchaser Enterprises, a leading ship customizer, Bright Star Entertainment Group, well known for gambling and luxury cruises, and a new comer in the game of HoloNet dating: Zinder!

Following that, they began speaking about the racers, allowing each writer to really bring in their own flair as their Sunjammer and Pilot were announced.

“And with everyone starting to run for position, the rolling start of the Kattada Open is about to begin! For those of you joining us from other race leagues, the Sunjammer Racing is a bit more technical than the all out speed race that is podracing or swoop racing. Finding the right boost from the solar winds and angling the ship in the proper direction. But lets head down to the probe droids to get up close and personal to the race!”

OOC: Hey gang! Welcome to the race! Pretty simple.
Six legs, 72 hours for each leg. As we didn’t have anyone get a support, going to change the Hoth Rules. Once during the race, you can post twice in the 72 hour leg to re-roll your own fumble.
Hoth Rules for Reference:
https://www.starwarsrp.net/ams/simple-podracing-ruleset-%E2%80%94-the-hoth-rules.4418/
Feel free to add filler, additional NPC racers, your own crew, etc. I’ll update with a post every 72 hours for placement etc etc. Most importantly, have fun!

It was a good time to get away from Dathomir and put some of her older skills to the test. Brooke may not have always been a Sunjammer, but she did have a huge familiarity with watercraft, growing up on Pamarthe and Chandrilla, meant she was on the water a lot. And with her own time, adventuring with the Jedi and her Witch clan? She was always on the water. Typically with the wind-powered watercraft, but she was familiar with the lot.

Having picked up her sloop ‘Riptide’ she’d been using a solarsail ship as her primary means of transit among the stars. Picking up the Starwind she named the Astral Wind, she had it shipped here aboard one of the Sunjammer freighters and was taking it for a few practice loops and maneuvers while waiting for the race to begin.

“... And now we’re back from that sponsorship break! Looking at our racers we have so many new and returning sunjammers…”

“...including the one from Pamarthe, Brooke Waters! A younger sunjammer, but don’t let that fool you…”

“Hi, I’m Brooke Waters. I’ve been sunjamming for only a few years, but I’ve grown up around the sea, from Pamarthe to Chandrilla, and hitting a lot of worlds in between. I work with the Exploration Corps out of Kattada, so I really know this system. As a prospector, I am no stranger to unknown paths, and am ready for anything the others can throw my way! I’ll be racing today with a long time friend, Pell. And look forward to the whole course!”

As Brooke listened to the broadcasts, she was watching the signal ship, as the lights remained amber, but slowly beeped down… The holographic line was drawn and the lights went green for an all clear.

Sliding her hands on the controls, she tightened the solar sails and started angling the maneuvering jets, charged up with the solar winds, to direct from buoy one to two.

Time to race!

"Systems Diagnostics have completed. We are operational." Ran informed her support pilot over their comms. "Of course we are. I told you this boat still has a few waves left to ride." The Devaronian bragged. "That remains to be seen, Loz. Operational and race-shape are two different things." Ran replied matter-of-factly. "You get what you pay for, Jedi," Loz, the Devaronian, quipped. "And you paid more for my instruction than you did for repairs. So as much as my advice is priceless, that flex-tape we used is worthless. All that said, she'll hold."

Ran wondered if that was Loz's expert opinion or just wishful thinking. Whatever it was, the Cobalt Hopper would have to hold or it would be a very difficult run for the Jedi Knight and semi-retired sunjammer racer. "I hope she does." Ran declared. "I hope she does." She repeated to herself in a whisper as Loz joined her in person on the flight deck.

The unlikely duo maneuvered their rickety Sunajmmer, Cobalt Hopper, to the starting line. "You ready for this, Ran?" Loz asked uncharacteristically. "This ain't no dogfight, this is a race." He added. "I've got it." Ran confirmed. It was her first time racing any vehicle but she was confident. At that moment, she took sport just as seriously as survival. She knew that's what it took to win. There can be nothing else on the mind but the finish line, at least that's what Loz told her. He had won his fair share of races back in the day so she listened.

As they sat at the finish line they could see the small racer profile videos being displayed on a screen above the Open's starting area. Ran and Loz's played. Loz did most of the talking about how Ran was his protege and that she'd be the next big thing in the race world. The truth was that he was a ham and Ran had only wanted to try her hand at the sport. She thought it would be a good story, if nothing else. On the profile, Ran just sat there and looked not meaning to imposing and intimidatingly so. Having never seen a recorded video of herself she was surprised to find the look on her face so intense. She looked like she hated life and was ready to strike the devaronian down, but that couldn't have been further from the truth. She was happy, and gentle until she needed not to be. She'd take a mental note to soften herself. She didn't want others to fear her.

"It's starting!" Ran exclaimed. Loz took his feet down off the console and prepared. The signal ship hovered overhead and with a deep beep and horn the race had begun. Ran's Sunjammer raised up and extended it's sails like a pegasus taking flight. The sails glinted as the solar rays were captured. Ran smiled wide and throttled the engine. She looked at Loz and his smile was just as big if not bigger. It would be a fun race.

Outfit: Casual
Tags: Brooke Waters Brooke Waters | Ran Serys Ran Serys | Valery Noble Valery Noble

Designing an advert, Rhys wanted his ship to have the branding of the company, Zinder and for people to join the membership. Rhys was seeking increased members for the dating app through this race, not too worried in his position but first place would look good for him. He hands were dancing over the controls, checking the engines, the sails and ensuring the way ship would sail would be as clean as possible. It was not usual for Rhys fly this style of vessel and he was very unaware of the skills of the other racers. But if they were taking part in a race, Rhys had to assume it was going to be a high skilled group of pilots.

"Flick! Check the solar sails are absorbing the most rays as possible. Can't be slowed down by poor quality sails!" Rhys called out as he breathed in deeply, he was never a competitive person, there was no enjoyment in that mentality. Instead he focused on wanting to enjoy the race and being in last place or being so far behind that the race isn't competitive.

The horn for the start of the race signalled and Rhys lined them up. Looking down the line, Rhys smirked to the other competitors, giving a friendly, slightly flirtatious wink to them all as he revved the engine. "Right, shame we can't disarm them with the pheromones, huh Flick!"

"Yes boss! And everything looks good this end!" Flick called out.

Rhys engaged the engines and launched them forward. The other competitors sailed way ahead and Rhys knew he needed to work the engines and ensure that he wasn't falling behind. "Gotta love a good race! Come on! Lets show Kattada what Zinder sponsors can do!" Rhys cheered out loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom