Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Family Business

Makai gave a small,skeptical look at his caf mug before taking a sip. While Balun Dashiell Balun Dashiell was more than welcome to change his mind, the half-Galan was a little surprised. Skeptical as well. He wasn't sure if Bale was doing it because he actually wanted to or if the teenager was just trying to 'fit in' given his status as a Jedi in a non-Jedi family. Personally, he thought the transition into the family was going rather smooth considering, so it couldn't be to ease any type of hard feelings.

When they had first met, Makai had asked point blank about his half-brother joining them. Bale had been very adamant about the fact he was a Jedi, even a non-affiliated one, and had thrown his self into some military group and a government called the Tingel Arm Coalition.

It made Makai wonder if he was that stupid at seventeen. Ellie would probably say yes, but she was biased. His father definitely would, yet he was biased as well. A small mental shrug. Dashiell men weren't known to be overly intelligent - they tended to not start pick up 'speed' so to speak until middle age. It seemed Balun had inherited that bit from them at the very least.

Yet he wouldn't say anything - Balun didn't seem keen to answer his 'too deep' question and most decisions would lie with his father.

"I know you've got an operation on Kesh, right?" Balun said, his tone thoughtful as he addressed Judah. "Kesh isn't too far from the Tingel Arm, where the Coalition has its base. Since you're already established there, it seemed like a solid place to kick things off."

"Kesh would be a good place. There is some solid infastructure there."

It was where Judah had started Kesh-Rimma Droidworks & Salvage, the company later being renamed to Salacia Consolidated as he picked up steam and more subsidaries. Salacia had also been named after his ex-wife, Thessa Kai Thessa Kai ,although he doubted she knew or even remembered that small little tidibit.

With the Dashiell name attached to Balun's business, Judah knew he was going to have to potentially face funding Bale's company should push come to shove - a failed company would rattle those he relied on for business loans despite it being subsidiary. Lucky for him, right now, it seemed the plan was low stakes and more of an entry point for Balun. Perhaps a way to get his feet wet and learn a few things. It wasn't like the teenager was thirteen and he could ship him off to work the salvage lines like he did Makai.

"Worst that can happen is you lose interest and we shutter the subsidiary. Under Salacia Consolidated you shall be, and since Makai is busy you can begin to accompany me on business trips."

"Worst that can happen is you lose interest and we shutter the subsidiary. Under Salacia Consolidated you shall be, and since Makai is busy you can begin to accompany me on business trips."

Balun nodded, a wave of relief washing over him as his father's approval settled in. The support felt reassuring, though the enormity of the venture loomed over him. He had never embarked on anything like this before. Yet, after spending time reconnecting with his family—fifteen long years apart—it seemed as though he had been destined for this. All those years learning from Jedi Artisans, meticulously working with technology, tinkering with starfighters, and creating his own inventions, were finally going to be applied to something meaningful. Not just for himself, but for his father and brother too.

He cast a glance over at Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell , his brother's silence standing out to him. Given how close they were in age, Balun valued Makai's opinion deeply. It mattered that he had his brother's support, especially now. Makai hadn't been dismissive, far from it—he'd been the voice of reason, encouraging Balun to think things through from every angle. Still, the quiet was unusual.

"For someone with such a big mouth, you're awfully quiet over there, bro," Balun teased, a grin spreading across his face. He leaned over and gave Makai a playful nudge on the shoulder with his fist, a gentle gesture meant to coax his brother into speaking up.

Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell

Makai could be quiet when needed, although that was unusual. For years he was the chatterbox of the family, never shutting up. He even spent years speaking for Myra Arceneau Dashiell Myra Arceneau Dashiell , the two developing their own little silent language when they had first met. Granted it took years to realize he only spoke quite a bit due to the crushing silence and to quiet out concerns in his own mind.

Still, even now old habits died hard and while he had mellowed out, he was often overly animated around those he knew. Or if he was discussing something he was passionate about, forget it, he would talk until the other person's eyes were glossed over, silently pleading to stop.

"I mentioned my concerns. You stated it wasn't that deep, not sure what else there is to say."

Personally, he thought his father was being a little too permissive and trying to make up for lost time. Balun Dashiell Balun Dashiell could have did what he did for years - worked under his father and gained the experience necessary before striking on his own. To Makai, it seemed Balun wanted to carve his own path, sure, but for better or worse the teenager was part of a broader family now. Going rogue wouldn't be so easy.

There was a lot of worry on Makai's end for reputation and business contacts with Balun in the picture. Not that he didn't want his brother around or interested. At least the teenager was unaffiliated, it shouldn't show too much favoritism in one direction or the other.

"Its between you and Dad now."

"I mentioned my concerns. You stated it wasn't that deep, not sure what else there is to say."

"Its between you and Dad now."

Balun's brows furrowed, and a quiet sigh escaped his lips as he briefly cast his gaze down to the table. The weight of Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell 's disapproval was clear in the tone of his voice, the dismissiveness unmistakable, as though Makai had mentally withdrawn from the conversation. That stung more than Balun wanted to admit. He craved his brother's approval and backing on this venture—moving forward without it felt wrong.

"Look, I'm not trying to come across like a jerk," Balun began, flattening his palms against the table as he addressed Makai directly. His tone was gentle, earnest, though tinged with the hesitation of someone unaccustomed to sharing his deeper feelings. Talking one-on-one was hard enough, but with Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell in the room, it felt even more daunting. Still, these were his brothers now, his family, and this decision would impact all of them. Despite the discomfort, it was a conversation that had to happen.

"I get that I don't owe this family anything, and I don't feel like I'm owed anything either," he continued, his voice steady but vulnerable. "I'm not doing this to repay you or to buy your approval. That whole trust fund thing Dad mentioned? Yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled about getting handed credits like that, but this way, I can make something of it. I can set myself up and contribute to all of us—while actually earning my place." His words carried the weight of his determination, but beneath that was a clear desire for his brothers' acceptance.

"I've never had a father, or a brother, for the last seventeen years, so I'm not sure how to convince you that this is really what I want," he admitted, his voice softening as he glanced between Makai and Judah. "I know I'm still adjusting, but I like to think we've come to understand each other better than before. If you have doubts, I want to hear them... and hopefully, I can set things straight."

Makai arced an eyebrow.There it was again, the idea Balun Dashiell Balun Dashiell had to earn his place within the family. Makai had tried to make his point a moment ago but Bale hadn't gone much deeper. The half-Galan wasn't even sure now that his brother was making the conscious word choice at this point, especially since he had just mentioned it as a sticking point. Bale was, despite the teenager saying otherwise, also just a kid. Makai hadn't been sure but he did remember Bale had mentioned spending the first fifteen years of his life with the Jedi and it sounded like he had been stuck in one place.

His brother had only been exploring the galaxy and experiencing things for roughly two years. Bale may have that teenage bravado, and Makai was struggling to remember the kid was just that. There was a lot to learn and if one didn't have any family experience to begin with, then it was even more difficult.

His wife was adopted. He saw first hand how harder she worked than the average person to feel as if she was earning her keep in the family business. Even when he gently reminded her that her place as the eldest daughter in the Arceneau family was quite secure.

"My only concern is you're jumping in too quickly after clearly telling me you weren't interested. Other than that...." Makai trailed off. "You don't need my approval for any decision however. You're allowed to change your mind, I'm just surprised."

"Then perhaps you can help teach me?" Balun asked, his voice sincere, echoing the very request their Father had predicted. "I've worked with technology before—starships, blasters, handheld devices—but I know nothing about running a business. That's why I wanted it to be a subsidiary under Dad's name. I can't do this alone, and I understand that. But with both of your help, I think I can manage."

The idea of creating things for others held a deep appeal, far more fulfilling than fighting, where each battle carried the risk of unintended harm. While Balun supported the ambitions of the Tingel Arm Coalition, the notion of channeling his skills and experience into crafting extraordinary technology—unique starships, in particular—was a dream that had only recently crystallized in his mind, though his past had always hinted at this potential.

"I don't have the connections you both do," he continued thoughtfully. "My network barely reaches beyond the Tingel Arm Coalition and the New Jedi Order, and even that's limited since I left. The Coalition might value my expertise, but that brings us back to the bias we talked about earlier. I don't want my personal life interfering with the business."

"I...can only help so much. I can do my best when you're around or if you shoot me a holomail message..."

As harsh as it may seem, Makai was already being stretched in multiple directions. Right now his priority was his wife, unborn daughter, and Persephone with the business wedged in-between. If Ellie had been feeling better and this was a 'normal' pregnancy, that would be one thing. Yet with her being incredibly sick, his focus was to remain close by for her. Being out in the Tingel Arm with Balun Dashiell Balun Dashiell was out of the cards for now.

"I'm willing though to do what I can. Which is best why you stay as subsidiary under Dad. As you mentioned you can't do this alone, which is probably the biggest thing to realize. Don't get arrogant and cocky about the entire situation. Get some products under your belt then you can brag and act like the king of some backwater sector."

Makai grinned, joking. Well, partially joking.

Balun's shoulders eased as he absorbed his brother Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell 's words. Every piece of advice held significance, but it was the quiet conviction behind them that truly reassured him. Makai seemed to believe this endeavor could succeed, provided Balun paced himself and accepted the support offered.

"Yeah, I think that's the best approach too," Balun agreed, his smile reflecting a sense of clarity. He nodded to the notion of developing a product line before making any big moves. He had no desire to boast, but pushing a brand without a real product felt premature. "I'll start small, focus on crafting a few exceptional pieces. That way, we can show what we're capable of before putting our name out there."

There was a sense of relief in that plan. If failure were to come, it would be better to fall quietly, before the company became recognized as a supplier across the galaxy.

Balun's tone shifted, a trace of melancholy coloring his words. "I like the idea of creating something new from old technologies," he mused. "Think about all those old starships—just sitting in graveyards, forgotten. Only the scrappers admire them." His voice held a note of disappointment as if lamenting the lost potential of those relics.

Balun's tone shifted, a trace of melancholy coloring his words. "I like the idea of creating something new from old technologies," he mused. "Think about all those old starships—just sitting in graveyards, forgotten. Only the scrappers admire them." His voice held a note of disappointment as if lamenting the lost potential of those relics.

Makai perked an eyebrow. Myra Arceneau Dashiell Myra Arceneau Dashiell was a crier and frankly his wife had rubbed off on him where he got a little weepy at times as well. Yet to see Balun Dashiell Balun Dashiell get a little depressed and disappointed over some potential scrap? It seemed Bale was trying to fit right in on the overly emotional front. Must be something in the air.

The half-Galan reached out and gently pushed Bale's shoulder, playfully messing with him.

"I'm sure the old starships will cry rusty tears of joy when they see you coming. Silently begging to be chosen by you."

"That's settled at least."

Judah watched the two and rolled his eyes for a moment. Was this going to be his life now? Surely the pair would grow out of the playful pushing and teasing one another. Personally, he wouldn't know. He had left the family farm at seventeen and by the time he had a chance to return his brother had been killed in an invasion of Saleucami. No point of brotherly teasing beyond that point.

"So Balun will get to work as a relatively sheltered part of Salacia Consolidated. Should he grow tired of the business it will be merely absorbed into Salacia or Dashiell Incorporated. There's not much of a risk at the moment - its low price scrap that we would purchase to break down to begin with. Bale, try to look away when we break down the other ships - I wouldn't want you to get too emotional."

A small smirk, Judah in fact, also had his own jokes.

"Any other questions?"

"One of these days, I'm going to create a starship so badass you'll be begging me for it," Balun taunted, flashing a mischievous grin at his brother. This kind of playful banter was a well-worn routine between them, one that Balun himself had instigated, though Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell had quickly proven to be a master of the craft. Balun took great comfort in this sibling dynamic. Their teasing wasn't about barbed criticism or harsh judgments, but about relishing each other's company with light-hearted jabs and candid camaraderie. Considering he had only discovered his brother's existence in the past year, Balun found great joy in these exchanges, each one underscored by the unspoken understanding that none of it was ever meant to hurt. The wide smile he aimed back at his older brother said it all.

When their father threw in his own jab, Balun burst into laughter, pleasantly surprised by the interjection. "Oh, don't worry, old man," he replied, grinning as he met Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell 's gaze. "I'll try not to blow any of your credits on emotional decisions or impulsive buys under your name." He cast a quick glance back at Makai, feeling perfectly at ease, right at home, surrounded by the two men who shared his blood. In this moment, he felt completely in his element, comfortable and secure with just the guys in the family.

"Speaking of starships," Balun continued, his tone shifting to one of sincerity, back to business, "I think that's where I'd like to focus first. They're an easy sell—everyone needs a ship to get around. And there's so much potential out there, with all those older models crying rusty tears, as Makai put it." He leaned forward, his eyes gleaming with excitement. "The older the better, if you ask me. Eventually, commissions will be the goal; custom jobs always bring in a higher price" Starships were a natural sell for Balun, considering his deep affection for them—especially the classics. He had a particular soft spot for Imperial designs, with their imposing silhouettes and unmistakable aura of power. Despite their fearsome reputation, there was something about those sleek, ominous lines that captivated him. They demanded attention, commanded respect, and even though they symbolized control, Balun couldn't deny the allure they held.

"One of these days, I'm going to create a starship so badass you'll be begging me for it,"

Makai rolled his eyes. He had never been into starship designs or vessels. Just wasn't his thing, although he could appreciate a nicely designed ship. He viewed them more utilitarian, tools to be used in business rather than pieces of art or something to be admired. He would be more than happy to leave all the designs to Balun Dashiell Balun Dashiell while he focused on his ores and minerals.

"Beg? Please. I only beg for one person and she's upstairs."

A smirk crossed his features as he took a sip from his caf mug, trying not to laugh. He could only imagine the expression on his father's face right now and he was carefully avoiding looking in that direction. Having a brother, he had quickly decided, was like having a permanent person to roast. He hadn't been this quippy since his college days.

The older the better, if you ask me

"I would say thats also how you like your women but that burlap is certainly keeping them away."

Oh, now he was on a roll.

"I'll try not to blow any of your credits on emotional decisions or impulsive buys under your name."

"I trust you will make fine decisions with a small amount of guidance."

Judah looked between both boys and sighed. Was this going to be his life from here on out? These two sharing little barbs with one another? It seemed harmless and both seemed to be in good spirits enough to do so. Yet this was what his was staring down now until he died. Perhaps once his granddaughter was born and Makai was a little more busy things would calm down.

He wasn't counting on it though. Ignoring the comments best he could, Judah continued.

"A solid plan. Let's put it into place and get the ball rolling. Capitalism waits for no one. You've already got a leg up with the Dashiell name, use it to your advantage."

"Ah, so you had to beg her into submission, did you?" Balun quipped, a sly grin tugging at the corner of his mouth. His gaze flicked toward Makai with a gleam of amusement dancing in his eyes. But as the weight of his playful jab lingered, he reconsidered, not wanting to push too hard on something so personal. Leaning back slightly, he softened his tone. "Nah, you've got a good thing going. Can't fault you for that. One of these days, my burlap sack is bound to work its charm," he added with a mischievous smirk, leaning forward again and resting his elbows on the table, throwing a quick glance toward their father.

His grin faded as his expression shifted to one of thoughtful seriousness. "Speaking of serious matters," he began, his voice more measured, "what do we have in the way of shipyards? Anything at all?" He paused briefly, eyes narrowing with intent. "If we're talking about Kesh, I'd like to see a manufacturing station set up—somewhere close to home, so to speak." To Balun, home wasn't a place like Kesh. It was wherever the Dashiell family was; that was the anchor that mattered.

He leaned in further, voice lowering with a hint of apprehension. "If we don't have anything established, what kind of financial backing can I expect to start with?" Credits weren't the most comfortable topic for him, but he knew it was crucial for the company's future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom