Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The (Would-be) King and I

wjujCZT.png
Befitting of its name, the Courtship Festival ran well into the evening. Bedecked with colorful fabrics and flowers, the streets eventually became bathed in a warm glow from traditional fire-lit lanterns. As the celebration began to wind down, families started to make their way home and couples paired off, wandering away for a touch of privacy.

Corazona had spent much of the festival meeting with native dignitaries and offworlders, hoping to foster a better sense of goodwill between Ukatis and the Alliance. It was time well spent - she enjoyed the task - but it was exhausting to play makeshift hostess.

Seated at one of the picnic tables in the courtyard to rest, a laugh of delight drew her focus a few rows down - a server had pulled a credit out from behind a child's ear. She smiled faintly; it was good to hear her people finally enjoying themselves in the aftermath of the Enclave's attack.

Something about the server was a bit off, though - the way he was dressed…a nobleman? When he turned, her lips pursed at the pink sunglasses in amusement. An offworlder, then. Waiting tables.

"Excuse me," Raising her hand, she hailed him over to her table. Once he arrived, he'd find her smiling politely, both hands resting atop the generously rotund stomach of the racyon in her lap.

"I'd like two chamomile teas and two lemon tarts, please."

Carlo Von Corrino Carlo Von Corrino
Dc6pDtW.png

As the day transitioned from a bustling, sunlit event to a more relaxed ambiance, Carlo's vibrant energy remained undiminished. Observers unfamiliar with him might have wondered if he was fueled by some potent substance, but in truth, Carlo simply reveled in the joy of life.

The simple magic trick he performed brought smiles to faces, amplifying his already infectious charisma. After delivering orders to the tables, he idly spun the tray in his grip before effortlessly balancing it on his mechanical arm, a testament to his dexterity.

His attention was drawn to another customer, whose presence seemed to subtly distinguish them from the others. 'Perhaps of noble birth', Carlo mused. Adjusting his rose-tinted glasses, his once dulled sapphire eyes now sparked with curiosity as he approached her table.

Setting the metallic tray down and producing a notepad with a flick of his wrist, Carlo swiftly jotted down the order. "Two chamomile teas and two lemon tarts," he recited with a light smile. "Right away, Mon ami." With that, he collected the tray and made his way to the kitchen to fulfill the order.

Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania

wjujCZT.png
Mon ami?

Cora lifted a brow. He certainly wasn't from here, that much she could tell.

"Thank you,"
she said with a smile and a grateful tilt of her head. It was good to see that Ukatis was embracing more off-worlders, and that those off-worlders in turn seemed to feel comfortable here. Their near-humanoid visitors, at least.

When he returned with her order, Cora motioned for him to sit opposite to her.

"It's been a long day, surely you'd like a rest? I'll comp your wages, of course."

Lula shifted in her lap, pink little nose poking over the side of the table as she smelled food.

Dc6pDtW.png

Before departing, Carlo executed a graceful bow, a soft hum accompanying his movements as he set off to fulfill the order.

After a few minutes, Carlo returned with the order neatly arranged on the metallic tray. With practiced ease, he placed the items on the table's surface—first the two chamomile teas, followed by the two lemon tarts.

Offering his signature light smile, Carlo accepted the invitation with a chuckle as he removed the apron from around his waist and smoothed down the crimson fabric of his suit. Taking the offered seat, he grinned playfully.

"Ah, Mademoiselle, I may have given the wrong impression," he began, removing his sunglasses but maintaining his smile. "I noticed the establishment seemed short-staffed and offered my services."

Pausing momentarily, he extended his hand in greeting. "But where are my manners?" he continued, his tone warm. "Carlo Von Carrino, at your service, Madame." His words carried a subtle invitation, leaving room for further interaction.

wjujCZT.png
Cora took Carlo's hand in her own for a firm shake in greeting.

"A pleasure to meet you, Carlo Von Corrino Carlo Von Corrino . Corazona von Ascania. It's very kind of you to help out."

If his clothing didn't give it away, his name certainly did. It was odd to see someone of noble birth volunteering for a service position, but perhaps customs were different where he'd come from. Perhaps he was an anomaly.

Cora slid one teacup and plate to him.

"Please, help yourself."

Lula tried to nab the lemon tart from her own plate, but Cora quickly shifted it away and tsked.

"No, not for you." She admonished the racyon.

Lula whined, to which Cora sighed. She broke a corner off of the pastry and handed it to the rotund creature occupying her lap. While Lula snacked noisily, she smiled faintly at Carlo.

"Where are you from, if I might ask?"

Dc6pDtW.png

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mon Ami," Carlo replied with a gentle smile, though his mind was preoccupied with the familiarity of the name. It rang a bell, perhaps from his wanderings around the festival, but he couldn't quite place it.

Accepting the offered items with gratitude, Carlo raised the teacup to his lips, savoring the refreshing aroma and taste before setting it back down with a soft chuckle at the creature's antics.

Observing the creature's actions, Carlo's thoughts were interrupted by her voice once more. "I don't mind you asking," he responded, picking up the second lemon tart. "I hail from Cardia," he added, taking a small bite of the tart as he finished speaking.

wjujCZT.png
As she nibbled at her pastry, Cora took note of the way Carlo moved. Graceful and refined, as any true noble would.

"Cardia," she repeated, eyes rolling upward in an attempt to dredge up any knowledge of his homeworld. She recalled a historic naval academy, though she wasn't sure if it was still operating in this day and age.

"Cardia is quite a ways from Ukatis, if memory serves."
Another delicate sip of tea, and she smiled at him. "What brought you out here?"

Her tone was light and conversational, curious about the young aristocrat with the mechanical arm who'd volunteered to serve snacks and tea to the commoners.

Dc6pDtW.png

Taking one final sip of his tea before setting the cup down, Carlo couldn't help but chuckle at her expression, his amusement evident as he slid his glasses back into place.

"Ah, the longer the journey, the greater the potential for interesting encounters," he remarked, his words tinged with the same effervescent energy that seemed to radiate from him. Pausing for a moment to ponder, Carlo found himself reflecting on his reasons for being there and why he had chosen to leave the comforts of home behind. After a brief internal deliberation, he continued.

"To be honest, mon ami, I grew weary of the predictable life awaiting me back home. There's only so much duty and honor a man can endure before he feels compelled to seek something more," he confessed, a hint of vulnerability slipping into his otherwise confident demeanor.

His smile faltered momentarily before returning, albeit with a touch of wryness. "But enough about me, Mademoiselle. From your bearing, I gather you hail from noble lineage? And perhaps you're even the esteemed host of this event, if my instincts serve me well."

wjujCZT.png
"Wanderlust does hold that appeal, doesn't it? Especially when you've been in one place for so long."

Another sip of her tea, and she let her gaze linger in the amber liquid before bringing it back up to Carlo.

Duty and honor. Those certainly could wear someone down. They were aspects of Cora's blood that she was still wrestling with, too, so she smiled faintly in understanding.

"Indeed, I am of noble blood. Ukatis is a largely rural planet, and the Ascania family hails from one of the largest agricultural provinces. It's quite a ways from the capital, though."

Lula placed one paw on the table, searching for more crumbs. Cora moved the dish away before she could snatch the pastry. Frustrated, the racyon left Cora's lap and jumped to the ground, where she stretched.

"I'm not quite the host of this event." She mused while watching Lula. "But I did have a plan in coordinating it."

Lula padded over to Carlo and peered up at him in hopes that he'd be more generous.

"If I may ask, what is the something more that you're in search of?"

Dc6pDtW.png

Bending down to the small creature, Carlo delicately set the plate on the ground for the racyon. "Here you go, little one," he offered, his smile warm and genuine before redirecting his attention to his companion. The question caught him off guard, prompting a moment of reflection as he pondered his response. For someone known for their lively demeanor and zest for life, admitting to seeking something beyond the familiar comforts of home seemed almost contradictory.

"Seeking something more is an intriguing notion," he began, his smile taking on a more contemplative edge. "Many would say they crave adventure or the allure of treasure." A wry twist touched his lips as he continued, "But if I'm to be completely honest, the 'something' I'm searching for is a place where the name Corrino carries no weight—a place where I can simply be myself."

With a light laugh, he shook off the moment of introspection. "Until that day comes, I'll continue playing the role that's been laid out for me."

wjujCZT.png
Cora tsked as Carlo Von Corrino Carlo Von Corrino handed over his pastry to the beggar of a racyon.

"Oh, she doesn't need-"

Sniffle sniffle snarf munch crunch.

The blonde rolled her eyes at Lula’s shameless feasting. "Honestly. At least be a lady about it."

Cora leaned back into her chair and brought her attention back to Carlo as he expanded on what he was seeking among the stars.

"A young nobleman, yearning to be known not for his name, but for his deeds."

She smiled, almost appreciative. Too many people on Ukatis had leveraged their family name in order to boost their status or push their own influence and projects forward. Cora was not unlike them, really.

"What's waiting for you back at home? A government post to inherit? The family business, perhaps?"

Dc6pDtW.png

A wry chuckle slipped past his lips at the sight of the small creature's voracious appetite, prompting a brief moment of amusement before his attention returned to his companion.

"The sense of accomplishment derived from honest labor, not simply bought and paid for," he remarked with a hint of bitterness tainting his tone. His features momentarily darkened, as if recalling a troubling memory, before swiftly regaining their composure at her next question about his homecoming.

"As for what awaits me back home, well, technically it's Cardia itself. I'm next in line for the throne, which is precisely why I find myself out here," he explained, setting his sunglasses aside to rid them of a speck of dust. "But truth be told, I'm not prepared for such a responsibility, nor do I particularly aspire to fill that role."

wjujCZT.png
Cora took another sip of her tea, eyes fluttering closed for a brief moment. Though she couldn't see Carlo, the darkening of his tone did not go unnoticed.

"A future King, then."

Setting her teacup down in its saucer, she offered him a genuinely sympathetic smile. He seemed like an earnest young man, one who was trying to break free of the preconceived notions and expectations placed upon him by virtue of birth.

"Ruling can be burdensome on both the body and the soul." She acknowledged quietly. "It should not be forced upon anyone.”

Silence settled between them, which Lula broke by trying to climb into Carlo's lap. It was a difficult task, rotund as she was.

"Especially when one is sensitive in the Force, as you are."

Dc6pDtW.png

"Carlo Von Corrino, the once and future King," he mused softly, his voice tinged with a hint of amusement. "How ridiculous that sounds."

Savoring the last remnants of his tea, he gently set the cup back down, a sense of relief washing over him as he unburdened himself. It felt liberating to articulate his reasons for venturing into the galaxy, beyond mere frivolity.

"And incredibly dull," he continued, a smirk playing on his lips. "Stuffy meetings and the passing of laws... enough to drive a sane person mad." He chuckled at the absurdity of it all, reflecting on how the weight of expectation had threatened to suffocate him.

As the tranquility of their surroundings enveloped them, Carlo broke the silence with a soft hum. However, his reverie was interrupted by a sudden realization, his gaze locking onto his companion with a mixture of surprise and curiosity.

"Since I don't exactly resemble a force user, I'll venture a guess that you are one yourself, mon ami."

wjujCZT.png
"At least you're not expected to be merely decorative."

Her wry addition was made with levity. It was as much a playful jest as it was a vague criticism of Ukatis' regard for women. Then again, she knew little of Cardia and their customs.

She lofted a brow at his surprise. "That I am."

A gentle flick of the finger, and she guided the empty plate that Lula had been snacking from, back onto the table.

"A Knight of the New Jedi Order." She supplied. "Did you think that we all walked around in those spartan robes?" There was a genuine lit of amusement in her tone, one that reached her eyes.

"You may not resemble one physically, but in the Force, you read as any other, Carlo. Have you had any training?"

Dc6pDtW.png

"They don't exactly inspire confidence in that regard," Carlo mused, noting the dry undertone in her speech, pondering if such a scenario was commonplace on this particular planet.

Observing as the plate returned to the table seemingly of its own accord, Carlo couldn't resist a smirk. "So, you're telling me it's not a case of 'come for the Force training, stay for the bland robes'?" A hint of amusement danced in his eyes as he envisioned the scenario. "I mean, those robes... not exactly a fashion statement."

His curiosity piqued, Carlo inquired further, "Is it like seeing an aura, or simply sensing someone's Force sensitivity?" He paused, blinking at her subsequent question. "Well, not to the extent of someone like yourself, but the captain of my family's royal guard happened to be a former Jedi Knight, so he imparted some knowledge on me."

wjujCZT.png
Cora tilted her head to the side, genuinely considering Carlo's question. She supposed that it wasn't uncommon for those trained in the Force to sense it in different ways. One of those most unique was Iris Arani Iris Arani , who saw the Force as a spectrum of colors.

"I can only speak to my own experience. For me, it feels like…energy. Like the sensation of wind, without there actually being any."

She frowned, wondering if that sounded too…vague. Then again, it was a question she'd never been asked.

"The more well-trained someone is, the more precise the wind. The more powerful they are, the stronger the breeze. For example, you-"

Cora paused as she seemed to take in Carlo with a renewed consideration.

"To me, you feel like a gust. Strong, but not wholly tamed.”

She took another small, measured sip of her tea.

"What sorts of things did he teach you?"

Dc6pDtW.png

Last edited:
Carlo was fully engrossed in the conversation, curious about her perspective on how Force-sensitive individuals perceive each other's abilities.

"In your case, does the wind originate from the Force User or does it manifest when they enter a room, for example?" he inquired, tilting his head slightly. His curiosity sparked, and a small smirk played on his lips. "I've never been likened to a gust before. That's rather refreshing, I must say."

After stretching out and settling back into his seat, Carlo paused briefly before continuing. "Aside from the usual self-defense training, I've dabbled in telekinesis and other similar abilities," he explained. "Most of the little tricks I perform are somehow enhanced by the Force."

wjujCZT.png
Cora took another thoughtful pause to consider Carlo's question. She peered down into the teacup, as if the answer could be found on the surface of amber liquid.

A few more sips to go, it seemed.

"The Living Force is present in all life. It's like air, if we're using the wind analogy." She smiled as he stretched. "When I encounter someone with the Force, their presence is what generates the wind. Be it a tiny ripple, or a storm."

Lula had crawled back into Cora's lap - or rather, she attempted to. This prompted the former to lean down and gather the racyon in her arms.

Something in her gentle demeanor firmed as Carlo Von Corrino Carlo Von Corrino described how he'd been taught. It wasn't a bad reaction, and didn't reflect any ill feelings - she just seemed to be paying closer attention.

"That's good."
Slowly, she stroked Lula's head. "Do you intend to practice any specific Force ideology?"

There were Jedi, Sith, and many other, smaller groups who sat along the spectrum in between.

A King would face many trials. It would be important that he know how to keep himself in check, lest his latent abilities cause some sort of catastrophe.
Dc6pDtW.png

"Judging by that, I assume being around those strong in the Force could be somewhat unbearable if their presence has such an effect," Carlo mused. The thought of enduring meetings with high-ranking Jedi seemed rather daunting.

"Are there species out there that the Force doesn't touch, appearing almost like a void to you?" He wasn't really expecting an answer, and he wasn't sure if such species even existed in the vast galaxy.

Noticing her slight firmness, Carlo hummed softly as he considered his response, then smiled lightly as he spoke.

"In all honesty, mon ami, I've never given it much thought. I've never considered the Force to define how I see life."

He paused, glancing at his empty cup. "The only ideology I follow is to live life like tomorrow is your last." Turning back to her, Carlo's light smile returned. "What about you, mon ami? What ideology do you follow, be it Force-related or otherwise?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom