Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Catching Up

Niv Hani
K9AIC3c.png
Outfit: Epicanthix gown
Tag: Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield

"I knew you were good with kids, but few can tame a Noble, let alone three of them," Valery said with a smirk for him, that shifted into a motherly smile when she looked down at the little ones. They had loved the story and she knew they were eager for more, but the hour was late and they had no more energy left to offer. At sleep, they were always so peaceful. Valery could just watch them like this for hours, and some evenings, she did.

Whenever life was hard, looking at them reminded her that she was at least never alone.

"Thank you," Valery said before she purposefully picked up little Aurra. Adam and Aeryn were easy enough for him to handle, but her little princess found most comfort when her parents tucked her. Soon enough, all three of them were in their beds, blankets wrapped around them and stuffed animals close.

She gave each one a kiss and left the room to share a drink with her friend.

"Of course, the pleasure has been mine," Valery said while she swirled around the contents of her glass — some Alderaanian red wine because she felt fancy. "I'm hoping that Vera and Aris do make it home tomorrow, so you can see them as well. But I'd also like to take you into town for lunch and show you around. Kahlil and I have worked hard with the locals to make things feel like home again."

"I look forward to seeing Sweet Vera again," he smiled wide at the thought. "It's been so long, I wonder if she still remembers me." Thurion threw his head back and downed the last few sips of his blue milk, emptying his glass and setting it aside. He sat on the rug by the dying fireplace, legs outstretched and his back leaning against the couch.

"I'm sure you and Kahlil are doing all you can to help them," the King reassured Valery, knowing it couldn't have been easy to resettle this many refugees on foreign soil. He reached for her hand as she lounged on the couch just behind him, squeezing it gently. "I made a point to visit the remains of Panatha in the wake of its destruction. I felt the Living Force lament the countless souls lost that day, and I could not help but shed tears as I beheld the aftermath. I knew not the land or its people, but I regret not having witnessed it at least once in my lifetime. The fact that I didn't know them doesn't mean I don't mourn their loss. Another culture, all but snuffed out by the worst side of ourselves."

War. War never changes.

His mind drifted off as his gaze delved into the faint flames, all while he fidgeted to hide his protruding big toe inside the remainder of his woolly sock.

"I will do what I can for them throughout my stay, long or short. I can treat the sick and injured, or help construct shelters. Hells, I'll pass around blankets and start a bloody soup kitchen if it means I can be put to good use! Kaine Zambrano was never there for them, so I will." He turned his head to look up at Val. "That's how we beat them," he told her. "Through small acts of kindness and love. By being better than the alternative."

Thurion lay his head back against the couch, eyes closed and still holding Valery's hand.

"I am grateful for you and Kahlil. When this tired old man loses hope, all I have to do is remind myself of your existence. It brings me comfort in the darkness of night when sleep fails me. You are the North Star of this galaxy."

He smiled even as his eyes remained shut.

"To bask in your presence is the greatest gift you could give this broken-down warrior. I am truly proud of you."

A father's pride. A lion's pride.

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Last edited:

Niv Hani
K9AIC3c.png
Tag: Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield Aris Noble Aris Noble

"It warms my heart that you support me and my family," Valery said as she gently squeezed his hand in return. "You've helped us a great deal, both with your friendship and the things you've done for people everywhere. You might be getting a bit older now..." she trailed off, lips curling into a smirk while she looked down at him. "But you still have much to give as well." Valery turned her eyes up to the dying flame and let out a soft sigh.

One day, each person would be just like that — a flame that had once been full of energy, fading out until nothing remained. But those days were far in the future, both for the Nobles and for Thurion.

"We find a lot of comfort and strength, knowing you stand with us against the likes of Carnifex. So, as long as you're able and willing, never give up that fight. You're not that told yet, Thurion." She patted him on the shoulder and began to rise from the couch, sleepiness evident in her eyes.

Every day with her children was a blessing, but they were demanding.

"Let's get some rest, for now. You're going to need your energy when the others come home tomorrow."

"Uncle Thurion is at home with Mom," Vera said to Aris Noble Aris Noble after she stepped off the shuttle and began walking towards their home. She had been on a trip to Coruscant with Aris to take classes at the Temple, but now they had a few days off. So, with her backpack strapped to her back and Fuzzy inside of it, she was heading home.

Her favorite place to be.

"I haven't seen him in a long time. Do you think he brought snacks from Midvintir?"

The next morning...

The night had proven unexpectedly tumultuous to the High King of Midvinter, having spent long hours unable to find rest. Perhaps he was unaccustomed to another's bed, or perhaps that genetic longing for his homeworld was keeping him awake. Sleep would inevitably find him, thanks to Valery's reassurances that his family and people would be looked after should the worst come to pass. She'd proven herself to him again and again in the brief time he'd spent as her guest that she would stop at nothing until Thurion was relieved of his worries, and the following morning was no different.

After a lengthy hot shower, Thurion would accompany Valery out into the Epicanthix village. The sun was still busy climbing the sky and the Panathan refugees had only just started their day in earnest.

The gaggle of children he'd gifted the chocolate bar the day before were quick to surround the gentle giant, flocking around him as each child wrapped their tiny hands around one of his thick fingers. The youngest one he picked up and placed on his shoulders, turning her into the tallest person in the colony. Two more soon joined her, one on each shoulder without him ever slowing down.

"I've been thinking about what you said last night," he turned to Val as they walked together surrounded by giggling children. "I know I may not look old — indeed, Valkyri can live for well over a hundred years without missing a step, but the human in me still feels the years pile up. I am almost 80 and I feel every bit of it. Old friends and loved ones grow old and wither, while I am cursed to remain the same."

His wife was always first in his mind, how her once-raven hair was turning evermore grey, having surpassed him years ago. She still retained her strength and wits, as was common among venerable Jedi Masters.

"However," he shrugged his shoulder to keep one of the kids from slipping, "I will not allow advanced age to slow me down. I am a king. I am a husband, father, and grandfather. I am a Jedi and chosen Justice of Ashla. I have sworn many oaths, and I am no oathbreaker. My resolve has never been stronger."

His features became set in stone as in his head his every oath was reaffirmed. Yet as he looked ahead, he spotted a pair of youngsters coming their way. The taller one in particular seemed familiar.

Thurion's solemn appearance slowly brightened.

"Is that...?"

Valery Noble Valery Noble

xiqfVVX.png

"Uncle Thurion is?" Aris tilted his head in surprise as he glanced to Vera. He hadn't expected to see Thurion again, so soon. Or had it been a while? If he was honest he was unsure. There was a large while of him still figuring out people and time and what it meant to just exist, after all. Still, he was all smiles now. He stood beside Vera once they had arrived to the room, standing straighter. He had the typical Padawan braid tucked away, and a calm smile on his face reminiscent of his father.

Yet still different.

"Hello, Uncle Thurion." He bowed his head in greeting.

Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield | Valery Noble Valery Noble

Niv Hani
K9AIC3c.png

"Good, I'm glad you're keeping your spirits high. I'm sure it'll make you feel better, too." He had, after all, visited to tell her about some awful things on his mind. The idea of his people being attacked and what would happen if his family were to fall victim to the Dark Lord. Such thoughts weighed on the soul and made the body feel a lot less durable. Hopefully, she had given him just a little hope for things to be better.

For now, the arrival of two more Nobles could be a good distraction.

"That's Aris," Valery said with a chuckle, as the kids entered through the front door. Aris, as always, politely greeted their guest, but Vera broke into a sprint, "Uncle Thurion!" She exclaimed, as she rushed over for a big hug. Vera was only a few inches shorter than her Mom now at the age of 13, and Aris...

Valery blinked.

The last time she had measured his height, he had been one inch shorted. Now, as she looked at him, she could somehow tell that had already changed. "Hey sweeties," Valery began as she walked over and first gave Aris a hug and a kiss against his cheek. "How were the classes at the Temple?"

Thurion could only stand there as the now-teenaged Vera appeared in the doorway, joined by her younger brother Aris. He was stunned to see her as such; already a young lady, all too soon. It was just as heartbreaking as it was joyous to behold. Had it truly been that long? She was another example of how the march of time seemed to leave him behind, forcing him to watch everyone he loved grow up and grow old while he remained largely the same.

Still, when Vera threw her arms around her "uncle" after so many years, standing as tall as his chest, all he could do was embrace her as if she were his own. With one arm wrapped tightly around her, he lifted her off the floor as his other hand held the back of her head. "Oh, Sweet Vera," he sighed blissfully, verging on tears. "My brave little lady...!"

"Look at you,"
he said as he lowered her back on her feet and leaned down to her level. He brushed aside a wayward lock of hair that kept getting in her face, his thumb gently caressing her cheek as he couldn't stop smiling. "Thirteen years of age and already a young woman. How time flies..." He then cupped her cheeks and leaned in to kiss her forehead.

The King then turned to the young man, Aris, and was immediately struck by the similarities shared by his father. The likeness was uncanny.

"Greetings, young master," his voice boomed as he towered over Aris, only to drop to one knee and immediately shatter the notion that he was anything but a gentle giant. He extended his hand, offering to shake his. "I take it you're the man of the house," he smiled warmly. "I am Thurion Heavenshield, but to you, I will always be 'Uncle'."

Valery Noble Valery Noble Aris Noble Aris Noble

xiqfVVX.png

Aris gave a brief smile at the affection shown by his mother, but he was more watching Thurion than anything else. Curiosity mostly, though his brow raised as he settled to a knee. Aris was already Valery's height, so he looked down at the tall man. He at least didn't hesitate to shake his hand, though. "One of, yes. I will ensure to call you Uncle, however. .. Should it be Uncle Thurion, or just uncle, though?"

Niv Hani
K9AIC3c.png

"Don't remind me," Valery joked with a chuckle when he referred to Vera as a young woman. She could still remember the days when she was little and crawled around the apartment. Or when she grabbed a kite at the pasaana festival and went airborne because of how little she was. Now, she was nearly as tall as Valery herself and certainly just as stubborn and chaotic. It was something that sparked mixed emotions.

A part of her missed those old days of her little ones actually being little. The other part of her heart was overjoyed to see them growing up.

"It's good to see you again," Vera said with a giggle after he put her down and kissed her forehead. "It has been too long." She knew that he was a busy man, just like her parents, but she really wished he was around a little more!

Maybe he would from now on?

Both Valery and Vera then turned when Aris stepped forward. The latter chuckled at his question but Valery just looked at him with a motherly smile. He was always the polite one in the house.

A chuckle from the Lion King as he rose to his feet, once more towering over all others.

"Let's make it 'Uncle Thurion' then, in case the list was to be expanded upon," he said and gently ruffled the lad's silvery hair. He deduced several aspects of Aris' character through this initial interaction, such as his being particular about details and that he wasn't one for warm greetings. Some kids, especially teenagers, are led to believe they should grow up sooner rather than later. Thurion disagreed.

"I wish I could have visited more often, but time has never been an ally of mine," he told them, a hint of solemnity behind his words. "A true king can ill afford to rest on his laurels — they ought not to claim from others what isn't theirs, but ever strive to give of themselves unto others." Those were his father's words and he believed in them now as he did when first uttered, knowing full well such selflessness always came at a cost.

If unwilling to pay that price, one isn't fit to bear the crown.

"Such as your lord father," he continued, gesturing at the village outside the open door. "How he shoulders the burdens of his people, bereft of home and hearth, and his willingness to fight for them when no one else would." He turned to Valery. "Look to your brave mother, ever a guiding light to trillions of souls weary from constant calamity and war, providing them with the hope that each coming day shall improve upon the last."

Thurion placed a hand on their shoulders.

"Leaders are not born — they're made; forged in the fires of adversity and honed by the hammer of wisdom. We may take different routes to get there, but we all arrive just the same, soon or late. It requires meaningful introspection, integrity of character, and above all patience."

He smiled, patting them on their shoulders as his impromptu lecture came to an end.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't grow up too fast."

xiqfVVX.png

Aris blinked slowly before glancing to Vera. In truth he wasn't sure what to make of this or what to say. There was a deeper meaning to what Thurion was saying, but honestly Aris didn't understand. At least until Thurion spelled it out. Which only left him more confused. He returned a soft smile regardless and dipped his head. "I will keep that in mind. But I haven't been trying to grow up or anything. I'm just good at studying. I like it."

Niv Hani
K9AIC3c.png

Valery crossed her arms in front of her chest and chuckled softly while Thurion spoke to her children. He had a way with words and wisdom, and Valery always appreciated that about him. Aris didn't always get such things, which Valery didn't blame him for, but he would still always be polite and grateful.

She was very proud of both him and Vera.

"Thank you, Uncle Thurion," Vera said with a grin before she put down her backpack. It was already partially open, but she pulled the zipper down the rest of the way to reveal a sleeping Racyon. "Fuzzy, wake up. We're home." She nudged him and Fuzzy grumbled, but Vera persisted and nudged him again. The Racyon opened his eyes, squinted and crawled outside to go find some food.

Vera was definitely not growing up too fast.

"I was thinking we could bring Thurion along for a little tour around town? What do you think?"

Thurion had reached out to help Vera with her backpack only to be taken aback when suddenly a racyon was unveiled, grumpily crawling out of her bag and out of the house. It was so out of the blue that he couldn't help but let out a belly of laughter and engulf Vera's shoulder with his huge hand.

"Poor thing reminds me of Bib and Bub, a pair of Corellian housecats we keep at my home on Midvinter. Always sleeping and eating, and sometimes I bet they manage both at the same time! I should like to take you there sometime, young Nobles — you can bring Fuzzy along if he's not too squeamish about the cold. I shall teach you how to ski!"

He rubbed his hands together at Valery's suggestion that they give a tour of the town, having anticipated a proper rundown of the fledgling Epicanthix colony. "Yes! I think that would be splendid," he merrily chimed in, a big jolly grin on his face.

xiqfVVX.png

"They're preparing for the festival soon, so it would be a good time to show how much the people work together."

Aris nodded his agreement with his mother's idea, giving her a brief smile before looking back up towards Thurion. It was as good a time as any to introduce him to the people here and the culture. A different side of it, at least, from what he'd likely experienced if the stories Aris had been told were accurate. "When do we want to head down?"

Valery Noble Valery Noble | Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom