Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you feel about this?

[member="Yula Knezevic"]

People that are going to treat the site that way, who are going to aim for Master ASAP, without much development, will do that regardless of whether or not this rule comes into effect. IMO that argument is actually more FOR the removal of Knight-requirements. It stops people game playing, and lets them slow down and focus on their character. On their story. Because they're not trying to strive for the next achievement.

Everyone's circumstances are different. You can't turn around and put an arbitrary number to what is required for Knighthood.

"10 threads, each with 10 posts, with 1000 words per post"

All well and good for those who have the time to do that. Who have the muse to write that much in order to get to where they really want to be with their character, so that they can begin their character's story. The one they really had in mind when creating them, but had to first get through the loops. What about those with other commitments? With families, children, long-ass work weeks? Or those that aren't as well versed with the English language, who struggle with writing and/or reading, but still want to join in and try anyway?

Should they be left in the dirt, while those with time and muse and ability aplenty ascend time and time again? No. That's ridiculous.

Chaos shouldn't be a timesink in people's lives. It should be somewhere people come to have fun, to write and collaborate. To make stories they can be proud of. Not throw out waffling threads in the hopes that it will get them somewhere.

At the end of the day, no matter how they get to Knight, if they want it they'll get there anyway. I personally would rather that CHARACTERS progression to Knighthood made more sense than "hey you showed up for 3 posts in that invasion, so have Knight."

[member="Sanya Val Swift"]

How about we let them play god? Roleplay with them, and if they go too far, let them know they've gone too far? Acting like a god versus throwing around god force abilities are two different things. What's the problem if they want to play god? That's their character.

You think this god had actual god abilities?
slice_300_movie_image_rodrigo_santoro_01.jpg

Mysa Snowstrider said:
People that are going to treat the site that way, who are going to aim for Master ASAP, without much development, will do that regardless of whether or not this rule comes into effect. IMO that argument is actually more FOR the removal of Knight-requirements. It stops people game playing, and lets them slow down and focus on their character. On their story. Because they're not trying to strive for the next achievement. Everyone's circumstances are different. You can't turn around and put an arbitrary number to what is required for Knighthood. "10 threads, each with 10 posts, with 1000 words per post" All well and good for those who have the time to do that. Who have the muse to write that much in order to get to where they really want to be with their character, so that they can begin their character's story. The one they really had in mind when creating them, but had to first get through the loops. What about those with other commitments? With families, children, long-ass work weeks? Or those that aren't as well versed with the English language, who struggle with writing and/or reading, but still want to join in and try anyway? Should they be left in the dirt, while those with time and muse and ability aplenty ascend time and time again? No. That's ridiculous. Chaos shouldn't be a timesink in people's lives. It should be somewhere people come to have fun, to write and collaborate. To make stories they can be proud of. Not throw out waffling threads in the hopes that it will get them somewhere. At the end of the day, no matter how they get to Knight, if they want it they'll get there anyway. I personally would rather that CHARACTERS progression to Knighthood made more sense than "hey you showed up for 3 posts in that invasion, so have Knight."

Due to my circumstances, I've never had the chance to really try out D&D. Even now, when I can potentially get time, it's hard because I can't talk and everyone hates text games. Thankfully, recently, someone was kind enough to offer me a single player game, where they were the DM and played with me in a story. I'm almost 30 and I've never even touched anything physically related to D&D, sadly. But I can say without a doubt, good god it's freaking awesome!

One way or the other, this doesn't particular impact my personal RP style.

However, if it would give *other* people freedom to play a character in a way that they would otherwise have to slog through development that they aren't interested in?

I say go for it.

Okay. I feel like this is becoming not much more than a collection of bitter passive aggressive remarks from both sides (mainly because I am one step away from writing passive aggressive remarks lol) and off topic discussion so I want to propose something. Not something directly about this question, but about the way we work this out as a community:

First of: No opinion is right here, and neither is any opinion here meant to insult you, even if you feel like it is.

So what I want to propose is: A change of perspective. I personally are against this rule change, but I can see why people would want it. Why instead of trying to convince each other (what will literally never happen), why don't we write down our opinion, but end on a positive aspect of the other side, simply to show each other that we can understand another point of view and are not talking about this out of salt and spite.

Just an idea, I'm not a mod and can't force you to talk to each other like adults.

I will start:

I think this rule will make ranks so meaningless that I don't get why we will need them afterwards. Further I don't really believe in self regulating of the community (I would love that, but I have seen so many boards fall into anarchy that I simply can't) and I am convinced that this would lead to a whole lot of extra work in from of reports and salt because people overestimate their characters power.

Yet I can see the appeal of starting as a knight. Makes sense in many character stories I have read and I would like that freedom to be given to anyone, but not without some system in place to keep people from abusing that freedom.

Xotomi

INFJ | Cantankerous by Rite | GEN X | Ever-Nerd
I wrote a Padawan, Knight, and Master rank on another forum. My character stories are completed and so I decided to start fresh here. I do not like writing a Padawan, mostly because I have to restrict my creativity. A Padawan/Acolyte rank should be for anyone new who wants to learn the ropes of Roleplaying for Star Wars without getting their butt handed to them.

[member="Eddak Manod"],

Nick Imura said:
I will admit, that I do see short posts, but they are done by writers who know how to write. They know how to write just enough story to keep you writing with them, with the smallest posts possible to not have walls of posts. I am perfectly fine with that. I do not mind those posts.
I am an nerf herder at heart. So take what I say as worth of a grain of salt.

I said I don't care how much you write. Its not the amount that I care about. Its the DETAIL in which someone writes. What do they put in the small sentences that push the story forward and want me to continue to write with the character.

I stated in my first post that I liked detail. I am a sucker for it. I am fine with simple sentences. They are a necessity. But when fighting in a PVP environment, or when performing something that needs to have detail, and I don't see it, I don't like it. I could read either one paragraph with so much detail than someone who can post in a thousand words. Its a trival matter that has been blown up. And I don't feel like continuing this back and forth. If you want to continue to post on here about stuff, then go ahead. I won't be responding because neither of us will move from the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom