Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you feel about this?

Other Space Kaiden

Better than other-other space Kaiden
[member="Ignus"]

giphy.gif
I should stop posting before I derail this further, but yes.

Gojoe. I like the idea, Imma go be a volcano now.​

Boethiah said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but do knight votes even get vetted? In my experience someone just says. "Bam, you're a knight." Then you get the tag. So if anything I don't see how removing the requirement lowers the quality of a knight. People stay apprentices for as long as they want to, not as long as they need to. AKA I don't see why not.
Id.

Addendum:
People complaining about the fact that they are meaningless should contemplate the fact that real life works the same way.

You think an incompetent or boorish manager is going to be respected by peers or underlings just because of a shiny badge that indicates he is not on the bottom rung of the totem pole? Think again.

The only difference is that those people usually get fired. Here, you just get reported and/or ostracized due to an odorous demeanor until you, I don't know, go make/join a "better" star wars/anime/whatever board to get away from all the mean people.

I teach a full class of Padawans and it's going to be a pain in the duck to have them promoted when the course is over, if someone doesn't agree with me that they're ready at the time and I've already done their Jedi Trials and stuff. Agendas and biases can get in the way and it's just a pain.

So all I can say is...

Dewit.

For people generally against the thought of removing the restrictions on Knight, how would yall feel about a Legacy system instead?

A Writer's first Force User has to start as an Apprentice/Padawan. Then once that character gets promoted to Knight, the Writer is then able to freely apply the Knight title to their other characters.

I'm offering this alternative because it seems a lot of arguments against removing the restriction are because of a fear having brand spanking new (as in, never roleplayed ever before) Writers becoming Knights.

Lark

Saint of the Damned
Soeht said:
For people generally against the thought of removing the restrictions on Knight, how would yall feel about a Legacy system instead?

A Writer's first Force User has to start as an Apprentice/Padawan. Then once that character gets promoted to Knight, the Writer is then able to freely apply the Knight title to their other characters.

I'm offering this alternative because it seems a lot of arguments against removing the restriction are because of a fear having brand spanking new (as in, never roleplayed ever before) Writers becoming Knights.
That sounds like a fair middle ground to me

Travis Caalgen

T
Honestly?

I find it insulting and trifling how people believe we should force people to go through the motions of having others feel when they're 'ready' to move on to Knight.

The current rules state that three people can make someone a knight; their master, their factions admins, and a roleplay judge. I am certain that Peter and Tef are tired of having to have monthly promotion ceremonies for people who have been forgotten by others, or don't have a faction that permits them to advance.

As Tef said in his blog post,

"You deserve to spend your time as YOU choose.

We only have a limited amount.

-Tefka, Owner of StarWarsRP.net"

People deserve to make their character how they want it (within the rules), and nobody else should tell them that they can't.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
As someone who's best face and most of his time was spent as a NFU who...right out of the gate (because the same standards aren't held to NFUs) Knight level characters...It doesn't really matter. People stay apprentices as long as they want, basically.

Just let them write and stop wasting their time.

Yes, I'd like the ability to choose whether or not I want to go into the deep end from the get go as a Knight. I know some people get a kick out of those origin-style story arcs, but I'm not one of them. I'd just like to be able to write up an older and more experienced character to start without having to make up a silly excuse for why they're still an apprentice as a senior. I recently got one of my friends to join the board, and I'm really looking forward to running around with him in the wild, but right now we have to go through the tedious process for a promotion first.

As we can do rank transfers, I've never seen the point of making people go through the motions of IC development as they can just start out as a Knight or Master level FU. I also see people flipping between Sith Lord to Jedi Master at the drop of a hat just because they felt like it one day.

The only ones I see this negatively affecting are gatekeepers within major factions that rely on promotions to spur activity to grow their blob on the map. They'll just have to do more to keep their member base engaged.

Ignus said:
Great. Johnny the terribad RPer is gonna be a Knight now.

In the current system, Johnny Terribad only has to do a little brown-nosing to get a Knight promotion or a Master vote. Meanwhile, a decent writer can get denied a promotion because of petty OOC drama. There's going to be bad writers regardless, so I'd rather just have an even playing field where people can get recognized for their writing ability over their capacity for grinding and sycophancy. Then there's nothing stopping you from avoiding writers you don't like for whatever reason.

I say yes.

I don't have some elaborate reason or anything but I'm on this site off and on. Life can get pretty busy as we all know, so I think this would be a good thing for all especially those who don't have time to "grind".

The rank no longer having value keeps being brought up, and honestly I can see that. But I'm confused. If it already has not that much worth and it's handed out like candy, what's the difference in just letting the players have their freedom to start off with a Knight? Yes, there's the option to make it harder to obtain the rank but I don't see why such a "useless" thing should be harder to get.

Anyways... I don't think this is about the value of rank or the potential abuse of it. It's about the freedom and creativity we have on chaos. If Tef is for it, so am I. Hail Tefka!

Suravi Teigra said:
There's going to be bad writers regardless
This is honestly why I'm fine with removing the restrictions completely for Knight (I'm even open to doing this with Master). Concerns about subpar Writers getting high ranks don't address the fact that this happens anyway - and it'll always happen.

In addition, people have associated Force Ranks with raw power - and this mentality can actually lead to issues such as "I'm Master, you're Apprentice, I autowin cuz I be pwrful lolol" instead of actual creative combat roleplaying. Making the ranks unrestricted removes this association and would place more emphasis on the character's history, reputation, and the Writer's creativity.

Isamu Baelor

Protector of The Iron Realm
From the perspective of someone who has never had a character go past Padawan/Acolyte/etc:

I enjoy the structure given by the current system. I enjoy that the entirety of a non-transferred character's journey from Padawan to Master is documented. I enjoy that it is a reward. One that is, admittedly, very easy to obtain. Those are cool things to me.

I'd personally be in favor of keeping it how it is, because, I don't think there's anything that actively stops someone from becoming a Knight. It can be achieved very quickly, if you put in the effort.

I do like [member="Soeht"] 's idea though.

I say do it, its not that hard to get knight anyway and we are here to write stories, play and have fun, not have a bunch of rules, regulation, and stuff. I think its great, Go for it. I mean, really, its honor system, and we have a lot of paddies already starting out with pretty much Knight to master skills and playing Godawan. I don't see much of a difference here, except it'd be less goddawan and more "hey we are all on the same level."

And as for the cussing... its the internet, I am pretty sure we've all been exposed to or are really able to be exposed to a lot worse. So, you do you, sir, and don't feel like you gotta apologize for it.

Yes please. As pointed out we're restricting creativity and wasting the time of people that just want to pretend to be obiwan kenobi for a few minutes a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom